Sabre Cowl Gen2

Sabremech

OK thanks
looking t the photo it appears to be a 201 spinner on the plane shown.

Made sure with David, I was incorrect. He said "He will need to change it to a 201 style like Bob’s if he doesn’t have it already installed."
I apologize for the mix up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, steingar said:

Another question if anyone doesn't overly mind.  The new cowl looks way more streamlined than our draggy old ones.  Has anyone yet seen any kind of speed gains?

The cowl is your same cowl, the difference is the nose piece is replaced with the round openings, the spinner is replaced and in the case of Guitarmaster's plane, the oil cooler was relocated and the ram air removed. Ram air removal was made possible by a more efficient Van's air intake. Matt (Guitarmaster) is reporting around a 5 to 6 knot increase. He has an original windshield and a Lasar cowl mod. His issue on the fuel injected plane has been the CHT temps running extremely warm. He and David continue to work the problem. David (Sabremech) has proposed a plenum and putting slotted cheeks on Matt's plane. I spoke with Matt last week and he found some issues with the baffling and think they are pursuing this first.

I was in the queue after Matt and before Bob. Bob slipped in because of his paint schedule and then everything was delayed as Matt and David have been working the CHT temp issue. Interestingly, Bob doesn't seem to have a significant CHT issue but he only had one flight with the plane of any duration -- to the paint shop. 

I suspect Bob will report on his findings along with showing us his Krylon paint job and Matt has been pretty good about providing updates but I know he has been working a bit and was sidetracked with the Tapatalk issue.

11 minutes ago, steingar said:

Another question if anyone doesn't overly mind.  The new cowl looks way more streamlined than our draggy old ones.  Has anyone yet seen any kind of speed gains?

Good morning Steingar,

We’ve seen 4-6 knots with the first generation cowl mod. 

Thank you,

David

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

but very doable in an F model Mooney. Thats why you bought it, to use it! Jonathan Paul flew his E from San Diego to Savanna non stop (long range tanks w/o the pee tube or wd 40 options)

Doable for a plane, for sure.

For myself and my schedule might be a stretch these days. That and traveling would increase the cost as well. Hence I was interested in possibility of buying parts and installing it with my IA, or maybe just shipping cowl parts but it seems mod is now more complex then I thought. Advertised speed gain (4-6 kt) is quite substantial, though so I'm closely watching for updates especially on reported Temp increase. I hope work on baffles solves the issue as adding plenum increases complexity (never good thing) weight and cost.

I wish you all good luck with this project.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Doable for a plane, for sure.

For myself and my schedule might be a stretch these days. That and traveling would increase the cost as well. Hence I was interested in possibility of buying parts and installing it with my IA, or maybe just shipping cowl parts but it seems mod is now more complex then I thought. Advertised speed gain (4-6 kt) is quite substantial, though so I'm closely watching for updates especially on reported Temp increase. I hope work on baffles solves the issue as adding plenum increases complexity (never good thing) weight and cost.

I wish you all good luck with this project.

The plenum will be designed for relatively simple removal. I think it’s the best option for cooling. The proof will be in the testing of Matt’s F with a plenum installed.

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Progress is finally being made. After numerous delays at my composite shop, I decided to move the project to a different shop. In hindsight, I should have done this quite a while ago. All my fault for the delay. With that, here’s some updated photos of the prototype cowling we’ll be making the molds from. 

Thanks,

David

6C3634C3-8DE6-43D3-BB8D-325F3CCFB766.jpeg

B71DEA6B-95EE-4993-9F48-F7F711E2A2DE.jpeg

B6E2B446-F2ED-4EE5-BA96-FF5017E710E8.jpeg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Progress is finally being made. After numerous delays at my composite shop, I decided to move the project to a different shop. In hindsight, I should have done this quite a while ago. All my fault for the delay. With that, here’s some updated photos of the prototype cowling we’ll be making the molds from. 

Thanks,

David

Very nice David.  Are you going to bring any of it to Oshkosh this year?

12 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Thanks,

David

6C3634C3-8DE6-43D3-BB8D-325F3CCFB766.jpeg

B71DEA6B-95EE-4993-9F48-F7F711E2A2DE.jpeg

B6E2B446-F2ED-4EE5-BA96-FF5017E710E8.jpeg

David,

Any thoughts of a similar door on the right side for easy preflight inspection?

Clarence

15 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Hi Clarence,

I thought about having another door, but decided it would be easier to certify with fewer changes. It’s pretty much a J cowl with round inlets. 

Thanks,

David

I think it's a great idea.  Hopefully you can market it well.  I don't know how many mooney owners outside of this forum are aware of its existence.  I love the 201 cowl on mine, and this is a more updated iteration IMO.  Since upgrading to a 201 cowl is extremely difficult nowadays, this one is a homerun depending on the costs involved.

46 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I think it's a great idea.  Hopefully you can market it well.  I don't know how many mooney owners outside of this forum are aware of its existence.  I love the 201 cowl on mine, and this is a more updated iteration IMO.  Since upgrading to a 201 cowl is extremely difficult nowadays, this one is a homerun depending on the costs involved.

Which cowl upgrade STC do you have?  Unfortunately,  I think the STC for David's cowl will come last for  the C's, which will need significant changes to the intake / carb heat box to make it fit.  If what you have is really identical to a J cowl, then that means there's already a proven template for making those changes, which gives me a little hope.  

1 hour ago, DXB said:

Which cowl upgrade STC do you have?  Unfortunately,  I think the STC for David's cowl will come last for  the C's, which will need significant changes to the intake / carb heat box to make it fit.  If what you have is really identical to a J cowl, then that means there's already a proven template for making those changes, which gives me a little hope.  

I plan to do a straight FAA/PMA cowl for the J models and then will submit a package that covers the C, E, F & G models at the same time so as to not have to do 2 seperate STC’s. It’s a little more work but worth it to be one and done.

David

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DXB said:

I have the mooney Mart 201 upgrade.  It is an actual J cowl. It involved fabrication of a new carb heat box.  I sent pics to sabremech a few years ago.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I have the mooney Mart 201 upgrade.  It is an actual J cowl. It involved fabrication of a new carb heat box.  I sent pics to sabremech a few years ago.

You definitely have one of the coolest M20Cs out there, despite Coy Jacobs being one of the sketchier characters in the GA world. I wonder what happened to his STCs and whether they might benefit Sabremech with his project, assuming they could be acquired at nominal cost.  

Getting access to Coy’s STCs is kind of like a holy grail... for some reason?

His organization did some really good technical work. Technical customers were technically happy...

I got the opportunity to fly the F/J last August to KOSH...

It was a highly updated version of the M20F...

The coolest thing about working with David... No hidden details... No surprises... Solid work... strong work ethics makes a difference...:)

A forever M20C would love to have an updated Sabremech cowl... Improved cooling, additional speed, much better looks, matches the spinner to the cowl for Best aero...

PP thoughts only, I got to see David’s cowl on Bob’s E... While down in FL.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:36 PM, Sabremech said:

Hi Ned,

Yes, I’m planning on it. 

Thanks,

David

David,

Will you be in OSH with your shop/business? If so, would you care to share the name of it? I would love to see the cowl. Very good work!

41 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

David,

Will you be in OSH with your shop/business? If so, would you care to share the name of it? I would love to see the cowl. Very good work!

Hi Igor_U,

I do plan to be at Oshkosh and will bring a cowling with me. I’ll plan to bring it to the Mooneyspace gathering that is typically held one night at Osh. My little company is called GDS Aero and I don’t currently have the new cowling on my website until it’s further along.

Thank you,

David

• Like 2