Ventilation system of Mooney 201

I'm  reviewing emergency procedures for my '89 J.  Coincidentally (because the ventilation system plays into the "fire in flight" emergency) for the first time in a long time, when I went flying over the weekend I got hot and opened the overhead wemac vents and was surprised when hardly any air came out.  The lower vents (pilot's left knee position) worked fine.  I was trying to figure out why no significant air came outoverhead.  When I got home, I had a radical idea and read the POH !  Somehow I forgot about the "master air vent control" overhead.  In reading about the ventilation system, I realized it's a fairly complex system in the Mooney with 3 separate (kinda) systems.

I think I understand the overhead system--a master control and 4 overhead wemacs- one for each occupant.  The air enters from dorsal fin.  (seems like you would NOT want to close this with an engine fire/smoke--more on this later)

I do NOT quite understand the cabin heat and vent controlled by the knobs by pilot's right knees.  It seems like the heat and the vent work independently and the mixed air (hot from heat, ambient from vent) get mixed and go to front side vents and defroster.  This sort of makes sense except when I pull the heat in the winter the hottest place seems to be by the floor between pilot and copilot-not coming out of lower vents.  Am I misunderstanding something here ?

ventilation1.jpg

ventilation2.jpg

You have it correct. The eyeball vents on the outboard knee locations only take ambient air and do not mix with cabin heat. Heat will only come thru the console vent when activated.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

The POH (big surprise!) is not so clear on this! It really makes it seem in both the text and diagram that the heated air and vent air are mixed before delivered to the cabin

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk