Asymmetric Ailerons

jackn

My right aileron seems to lift slightly in flight. The left one stays flush. I can’t reproduce this on the ground. I thought I might have a worn rod-end, but all pushrods and bearings seem tight. The interesting thing is that the plane flys hands/feet off just fine. 

Just checking to see if anyone has experienced this. 

A1D47C85-92FE-421F-AF51-96F9AD83F099.jpeg

94BB4A34-444C-4C67-9682-D691E502C152.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Piloto said:

If you are using the flaps as reference it could be that the right flap is lower than the left flap. If the plane does not roll with hands and A/P off leave it alone. 

José

I thought that might be the case, but both flaps are symmetrical and it doesn’t show up on the ground. I agree about not screwing with it, but was just curious. 

6 hours ago, jackn said:

My right aileron seems to lift slightly in flight. The left one stays flush. I can’t reproduce this on the ground. I thought I might have a worn rod-end, but all pushrods and bearings seem tight. The interesting thing is that the plane flys hands/feet off just fine. 

Just checking to see if anyone has experienced this. 

A1D47C85-92FE-421F-AF51-96F9AD83F099.jpeg

94BB4A34-444C-4C67-9682-D691E502C152.jpeg

@jackn agree with Piloto.  If it makes you feel better I sometimes see the same thing but never consistently looks the same do to headwind, crosswind, crab to maintain course, auto pilot on/off, etc. 

Reference them to the wingtip as well. Flaps may not be symmetrical but as Others have said, don’t fool with them unless the ailerons are not symmetrical to the wingtip. Then, follow the SMM but you’d likely be looking at adjusting flaps then also bending Aileron trailing edges to compensate. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 10:59 PM, jetdriven said:

Reference them to the wingtip as well. Flaps may not be symmetrical but as Others have said, don’t fool with them unless the ailerons are not symmetrical to the wingtip. Then, follow the SMM but you’d likely be looking at adjusting flaps then also bending Aileron trailing edges to compensate. 

The ailerons are indeed referenced to the wingtips.