Tucson

On 8/10/2018 at 3:09 PM, nels said:

How about some pictures.

I'll break these up into a few posts. We aren't doing anything significant to the exterior or back yard so I'll post those photos first. We will be adding an awning type structure to the front of the house, mostly to keep the afternoon sun and heat off the house, and we'll recycle many of the materials from the current carport that will be demolished and a three car garage with guest quarters will be added in it's location. The interior will be essentially gutted and everything redone. Most of the demo has been done but there is still old flooring to be removed and a bit of other things.

1 minute ago, nels said:

Boy, you didn’t waste any time! Really looks nice...I’m jealous!

That's just two days of work. The demo started Thursday. It took forever to close and then getting bids for the work took longer than expected. Once we selected a company, they couldn't start right away. Theoretically we'll be in the house right before Thanksgiving. We'll see . . .

Just now, nels said:

Have you been flying in and out of the airport? Are you pretty close to the runway or is there a lot of taxiing?

My current house is 15 minutes to either AVQ or 57AZ. I bought a hangar near the fuel and runway at 57AZ but the guy I bought it from had a renter than I'm letting stay through the end of the month. Then I'll be out of town a while so I'll move my airplane to 57AZ the middle of October. I was based at 57AZ a number of years ago, right after they widened it to 44'.

The interior remodel is phase I. I want to pay cash for everything so it will be phased, After phase I, we'll move in and I'll put the house I've been in for the last 18 years on there market. Once it sells, we'll do phase II which is a garage and guest studio (we may be able to start phase II earlier). Then phase III, if there is a phase III, will be a hangar. Phase III is predicated on the roads in the airpark being redone to allow me easy taxi to the runway. It will be about a five minute taxi as I'm in the far northwest corner of the airpark, see map.

LCAP Map.pdf

2 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I flew out of 57AZ daily for 6 years. There is nothing to worry about. It is a pretty quiet airport.

Yep, plenty long and "there are no runways, only center lines" so even though my wingspan is 38' on a 44' wide runway, no issues. 

I've been based there twice in the past so I'm very familiar with it.

29 minutes ago, nels said:

Do you need to be a resident to fly in there? You never know when I might venture in from Ohio to check things out.

No, but you do need to get prior permission.

http://www.lachollaairpark.com/eform_detail.asp?id=7&name=PPR+(Prior+Permission+Request)

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2018 at 3:53 PM, KLRDMD said:

We’re doing a very extensive remodel, will post pictures once that’s done. Plan on Thanksgiving.

The remodel is going well. Of course it wasn't done by Thanksgiving. Have you EVER had a contractor be on time or on budget ? It is looking like we're going over budget by 10-15% and it looks like we'll be able to move in within two more weeks, maybe three. I expected 20% over budget and six weeks longer than originally promised so they are still within my anticipated windows own both :rolleyes:

• Like 3

On 11/22/2018 at 11:39 AM, KLRDMD said:

The remodel is going well. Of course it wasn't done by Thanksgiving. Have you EVER had a contractor be on time or on budget ? It is looking like we're going over budget by 10-15% and it looks like we'll be able to move in within two more weeks, maybe three. I expected 20% over budget and six weeks longer than originally promised so they are still within my anticipated windows own both :rolleyes:

So you have been in this rodeo before, eh? ;)

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

The renovation on the house is now scheduled to be completed this Friday. Assuming it is, that will be 32 days later than initially promised (about 50% more) but less than 1% over budget.

Except for being so close to budget, it sounds like my avionics upgrade.

Congratulations on getting it done!

• Like 2

Today was supposed to be move in day, but that's not happening. It is now scheduled for next Saturday. That makes the 5th push back on move-in date which is simply unacceptable and the remodel now is taking almost twice the time it was promised in. But at least it is still on budget, and it looks like we'll be in the new house before Christmas :rolleyes:

On 12/15/2018 at 11:32 AM, KLRDMD said:

Today was supposed to be move in day, but that's not happening. It is now scheduled for next Saturday. That makes the 5th push back on move-in date which is simply unacceptable and the remodel now is taking almost twice the time it was promised in. But at least it is still on budget, and it looks like we'll be in the new house before Christmas :rolleyes:

It's next Saturday . . . :)