Tucson

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, nels said:

Very nice airpark. Was it on the market or did you just happen into it? Iā€™ve looked on line at La Cholla but very few on the market.

Few on theĀ market for a specific reason, we've found out. Our purchase is currently on hold.

• 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, 13scrappy said:

It would be great to live by aĀ runway but AVQ is still pretty nice. Ā I have looked at moving to La Cholla as well. Ā  Would a poor result in the lawsuit shut the airpark down?

Most likely not but it might affect the value significantly.

24 minutes ago, 13scrappy said:

It would be great to live by aĀ runway but AVQ is still pretty nice. Ā I have looked at moving to La Cholla as well. Ā  Would a poor result in the lawsuit shut the airpark down?

I've been based at AVQ for over 15 years and it is fine. With the economy improving, it is getting dangerously busy now though and given that probably half of the pilots that fly in there are student pilots that speak varying (generally pretty poor) levels ofĀ English, that's a concern. Plus, I fly threeĀ days a week on average and would save an hour each tripĀ to the airport and back with longer taxi times at AVQ, etc. making itĀ particularly attractive to be at 57AZ.

There is discussion with the FAA about finally building a tower at AVQ, I'll be part of that meeting whenĀ it occurs as I'm currently based there and have been on the FAASafety Team for a number of years.

Prices have been depressed for the last couple of years at La Cholla, due to the lawsuit. Banks will not loan money on a property involved in an active lawsuit and title companies won't issue title insurance that covers the lawsuit. So any buyer must want to live at the airpark, be a cash buyer and willing to acceptĀ limited title insurance and go in knowing they're buying a property with an active lawsuit against it.

That said, there was a proposal that would end the lawsuit. The vote was last Saturday. They say they got the number of votes needed to pass the proposal which would end the lawsuit, but those votes have not been certified yet. They should be next week. Assuming the voteĀ is valid, the lawsuit goes away and we should close on a property there fairly soon.

• Like 3

I really like that airpark from the little Iā€™ve seen of it. Iā€™ve actually been running an ad on Barnstormers looking for an airpark home in Arizona or possibly NM or Colorado. We have two kids in Denver and the commute there would not be difficult from any of the three states. My wife prefers being close to a large city so many of the airpark locations make a hard sell to my wife. Iā€™m pretty sure La Cholla would make the grade though.

Good luck and let me know if anything shows up for sale. However,Ā I donā€™t need a mansion at this stage of life.

1 minute ago, nels said:

I really like that airpark from the little Iā€™ve seen of it. Iā€™ve actually been running an ad on Barnstormers looking for an airpark home in Arizona or possibly NM or Colorado. We have two kids in Denver and the commute there would not be difficult from any of the three states. My wife prefers being close to a large city so many of the airpark locations make a hard sell to my wife. Iā€™m pretty sure La Cholla would make the grade though.Ā Good luck and let me know if anything shows up for sale. However,Ā I donā€™t need a mansion at this stage of life.

Once the lawsuit is officially settled, I'll bet a number of properties hit the market. That should be within the next week or so. The bad news is, property values will rise quickly. Many of the homes there are mansions but we're looking to downsize too and there are 2,000-2,500 sf properties, although they are the minority.

You can go to any number of web sites and set rules to alert you via E-Mail when properties come up for sale. I did that with Redfin and drew an outline of the airpark as my alert area.

There's also Pegasus, Carefree and Stellar in the Phoenix area.

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 2.58.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 3.01.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 3.02.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 3.02.22 PM.png

• Like 2

Best of luck on the purchase. Ā I looked at 2 of those listed at La Cholla and I was not sure I wanted to try to taxi to the runway, but it has been a few years and hopefully some tree trimming and pothole filling has happened.

All parties had representation that met with the judge today. The official date the lawsuit will be dismissed is August 31 but the judge is willing to release individual properties before that if requested. Our property is on his desk for early dismissal. Also, the seller met the final condition of our offer today so weĀ hope to close soon.

Property values should spike very soon, buy nowĀ :D

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Finally closed on the house today. 80Ā days after ourĀ offer was accepted. There were any number of issues that had to be worked though but it is a done deal. Now, the remodel. Extensive. Probably three months. Then we move in and list the current house for sale. Anyone want a nice house in three months that's about 15 min from both KAVQ & 57AZ ?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I recall seminar from a faculty member at the University of Arizona. Ā He had all these pictures Alaska. Ā I asked him why he was always going up to Ā Alaska, and he said if I lived in a place hot as Tucson I'm be headed up there regularly too. Ā Good luck to the OP, I tried like crazy to get a job there but couldn't.