Sellers remorse

MATTS875

Ok , so I thought I had bought the 97 mooney 201 and had agreed on everything but unable to get the seller to now respond back so I am on the hunt for another one. I was very excited about the plane but life goes on. Maybe something better will arise.

22 minutes ago, MATTS875 said:

Thank you, the hunt is always the fun part

Wait until you get one bought... ;)

A lot of other brands seem to have experienced a run up in pricing over the last 6+ months but I haven't seen that much with Mooneys.  Over the last 2 weeks it looks like pricing on J models (which I've been watching) has gotten stronger.

1 hour ago, MATTS875 said:

Ok , so I thought I had bought the 97 mooney 201 and had agreed on everything but unable to get the seller to now respond back so I am on the hunt for another one. I was very excited about the plane but life goes on. Maybe something better will arise.

I'll sell you mine.

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I suspect a lot of owners struggle with selling. For many long time owners, the Mooney harbors a lot of memories and was part of our youth. Then there are the other owners... 

I had a lot of mixed emotions on Monday morning when I dropped my plane off at a prebuy shop.  I've owned her since 2011 and she's taken very good care of me and taught me a ton.  I didn't understand the emotional attachment to an airplane before I had the privilege of being the temporary caretaker of my J.

Despite my listing on Mooneyspace being listed as under contract I've received a few inquiries about the plane and whether it is available.  I don't believe we're in a sellers market for aircraft, but I do believe it is becoming more balanced.  When I have multiple people that want to know if the current deal falls through, particularly when the only place it's advertised is here on Mooneyspace (read: zero marketing effort) that says something about the state of the market today.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, smccray said:

A lot of other brands seem to have experienced a run up in pricing over the last 6+ months but I haven't seen that much with Mooneys.  Over the last 2 weeks it looks like pricing on J models (which I've been watching) has gotten stronger.

That's because Mooney prices didn't fall as much as most others. The 172/182 market will always be good. The Baron market plummeted a few years ago but prices are rising fast on those, and 310s to a  lesser extent. This is the first time in a decade the twin market is showing any signs of recovery.

My estimation is that Baron prices have risen $10k since the first of the year and 310s $5k. Cabin class piston twins are still in a decline. SETP prices seem to be flat.

Just my opinion, of course - but I do watch the market daily.

Ah yes, seller's remorse.   If I ever buy another Mooney.....it will probably be the most over-improved C model available.

The lightweight simple C was just the most fun to fly around.  Not the fastest, not the best equipped, not the most efficient.  Just the most fun.   I miss it sometimes and as Marauder says, it is linked with good memories of good times, some of them now long ago.   

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

That's because Mooney prices didn't fall as much as most others. The 172/182 market will always be good. The Baron market plummeted a few years ago but prices are rising fast on those, and 310s to a  lesser extent. This is the first time in a decade the twin market is showing any signs of recovery.

My estimation is that Baron prices have risen $10k since the first of the year and 310s $5k. Cabin class piston twins are still in a decline. SETP prices seem to be flat.

Just my opinion, of course - but I do watch the market daily.

I've been watching the J market, as well as the R and M markets over the last couple of years, and very closely over the last 6-9 months.  Asking prices at least for those three are up 5-10% since the first of the year, and if my email traffic is any indication is any it seems to be driven by more buyer activity.

1 hour ago, smccray said:

I've been watching the J market, as well as the R and M markets over the last couple of years, and very closely over the last 6-9 months.  Asking prices at least for those three are up 5-10% since the first of the year, and if my email traffic is any indication is any it seems to be driven by more buyer activity.

I hope you're right.

But there are so few examples of any one sub-type -- a Mooney J model, to wit -- that the prices are not representative of a market with adequate liquidity to accurately determine averages over a short term of months.  Likewise there are so few actual potential buyers (not tire kickers) at any given moment that the "supply of buyers" is also not a stochastic index.    IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I suspect a lot of owners struggle with selling. For many long time owners, the Mooney harbors a lot of memories and was part of our youth. Then there are the other owners... 

Seller’s remorse, grief, separation anxiety .... This comment hit me directly between the eyes this morning. I’ve been wrestling with selling my plane for a few months and have been putting together a website for that day. And, each morning I wake with the same arguments. For my situation it is time. But, does life really go on after an intimate relationship with a Mooney, my Mooney? (My grandkids call her Alana Charlotte.) So, shall I post her now? Here’s the site: http://m20f95v.com/

Reality check and comments welcome.
ron
  • Like 7

49 minutes ago, rdshave said:
Seller’s remorse, grief, separation anxiety .... This comment hit me directly between the eyes this morning. I’ve been wrestling with selling my plane for a few months and have been putting together a website for that day. And, each morning I wake with the same arguments. For my situation it is time. But, does life really go on after an intimate relationship with a Mooney, my Mooney? (My grandkids call her Alana Charlotte.) So, shall I post her now? Here’s the site: http://m20f95v.com/

ron

Beautiful bird - and site works flawlessly. You just might have set the (high) bar for selling a Mooney :-)

Oh for Odin's sake, I've sold two of the things.  They're things.  I have flown them, taken care of them, and done my utter best to preserve them, but when it's time to go it's time to go.  And if someone made a good faith effort to purchase one of mine he or she will get a cogent explanation of why the deal didn't work.  Anything less is just disrespect for your potential customers and fellow Airmen.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rdshave said:

ron

Ron -- I know we (MooneySpace) have a number of owners still flying in their 70s and 80s. Hopefully your decision is being made on lack of desire to keep flying rather than a health issue. If it is the former, I hope you reconsider until someone pries the keys out of your hands. And if you are set on selling, I hope you get into a bidding war! Us F owners need to stick together. :)

1 hour ago, rdshave said:

ron

Whoever detailed your airplane, I think I want to marry him.

1 hour ago, rdshave said:

ron

In general when selling something like a house or an airplane it is a good idea to help a buyer see the item as theirs rather than yours.  Your website is an excellent tribute to the joy that your plane has brought you but it may not be the optimal marketing tool for helping a buyer see themselves in the plane.

• Like 1

In general when selling something like a house or an airplane it is a good idea to help a buyer see the item as theirs rather than yours.  Your website is an excellent tribute to the joy that your plane has brought you but it may not be the optimal marketing tool for helping a buyer see themselves in the plane.

But it does convey how well the plane was likely taken care of. To some buyers, that is a strong motivator.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

Mooniac15u: Probably very true, but this was therapeutic for the seller.  I've tried to be completely exposed, and hopefully, no surprises about anything. ron

Marauder: Thanks for the encouragement, but we’ll have to find out if the buyer can pry the keys out of my cold dead hands. :) 

Steingar, Gary did my plane, a good friend who has been professionally doing planes for 30+ years in SoCal. He is very busy and hard to schedule new clients, but PM me and I’ll get you a phone number.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rdshave said:

Steingar, Gary did my plane, a good friend who has been professionally doing planes for 30+ years in SoCal. He is very busy and hard to schedule new clients, but PM me and I’ll get you a phone number.

Much obliged, but a bit far for yours truly even at Mooney speeds.  And I do HATE long distance relationships!