Fuel sending unit

OK outboard fuel sending unit has blue stains from the center and not functioning.  The gauge will only read 1/2 full when the tank is full. 

I have the original gauges so the sending unit is just the restive type.  I also have the 54 gallon bladders.

1. Open up the wing inspection cover to disconnect the wire, remove the several screws to remove the sending unit.
  2. How does the unit come out of the tank?
  3. Do I need to remove one of the upper wing covers move the bladder and remove it that way?

OK outboard fuel sending unit has blue stains from the center and not functioning.  The gauge will only read 1/2 full when the tank is full. 
I have the original gauges so the sending unit is just the restive type.  I also have the 54 gallon bladders.
  1. Open up the wing inspection cover to disconnect the wire, remove the several screws to remove the sending unit.
  2. How does the unit come out of the tank?
  3. Do I need to remove one of the upper wing covers move the bladder and remove it that way?

When you remove the cover (on wing bottom) for that sender, you just need to make sure the tank is drained (probably close to empty), disconnect the wires. remove the screws and the unit will come out. Not difficult to remove.

bebbf05d0615cd0fafdbabb38a52d5f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

When you remove the cover (on wing bottom) for that sender, you just need to make sure the tank is drained (probably close to empty), disconnect the wires. remove the screws and the unit will come out. Not difficult to remove.

bebbf05d0615cd0fafdbabb38a52d5f7.jpg

OK thanks that is what I thought.  I guess the unit is just stuck to the gasket.

Now for a replacement.

You can try to see what the guys in Lock Haven are charging. I know that several guys removed good ones from their planes when they did the CiES upgrade. I’d offer you mine but mine weren’t 100%.

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

I’d offer you mine but mine weren’t 100%.

Same here. I have all 4 but have no idea how well they work. I suppose there should be a resistance test that can be performed to verify functionality, but if going through the hassle to put it back in, would presume you would want to have them rebuilt.  Chris @Marauder shipped me his old panels, I don't mind sharing a sending unit or two but no guarantees on functionality. That said, if you were to have them rebuild, I suppose you could send yours in just as easy. 

On 5/21/2018 at 7:31 AM, Marauder said:

You can try to see what the guys in Lock Haven are charging. I know that several guys removed good ones from their planes when they did the CiES upgrade. I’d offer you mine but mine weren’t 100%.

I had both of mine overhauled in Lock Haven during my last annual. Took them about 2 weeks, they look good as new, and if I recall it was around $600 and some change. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Desertdoc75 said:

I had both of mine overhauled in Lock Haven during my last annual. Took them about 2 weeks, they look good as new, and if I recall it was around $600 and some change. 

That price sounds familiar. And it was a reason with 4 suspect resistive senders I spent a few hundred more and got the the CiES frequency ones.

Will the CiES restive units work with the stock gauges and stock sending units?  Can you buy just one?

Good question. I have not seen one used as a replacement sender. I would call CiES up and ask. I suspect they are limited to electronic displays like the JPI or Aerologic. Scott is the primary contact there.

John, you should talk to George McKinney at Lock Haven. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.

http://www.airpartsoflockhaven.com/

I have the CiES with a JPI 930 and they're great and highly recommend. But if you're just replacing one resistive ACDelco sender I suspect George is your best bet. He can overhaul yours but he might be able to swap out or sell you a serviceable sender.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2018 at 9:37 PM, Marauder said:

Good question. I have not seen one used as a replacement sender. I would call CiES up and ask. I suspect they are limited to electronic displays like the JPI or Aerologic. Scott is the primary contact there.

@1964-M20E Just to check, are you still looking into the CIES or do you want me to ship my old units? I'd like to do it today while I'm down in AR and can get in them in the hangar. Otherwise will be mid June +. 

if you don't mind send the old ones I'm going to call CIES today and see if one of their resistor type units will work with the existing resistor type units.  I would think they should.  I talked to Lock Haven yesterday they were limited help for now. @Stephen

I wouldn't mind going all electronic but I do not want that upgrade right now.

4 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

if you don't mind send the old ones I'm going to call CIES today and see if one of their resistor type units will work with the existing resistor type units.  I would think they should.  I talked to Lock Haven yesterday they were limited help for now. @Stephen

I wouldn't mind going all electronic but I do not want that upgrade right now.

Just win the set of CIES senders at the Mooney Summit, John! As a Presidents Club member, You will have ample raffle tickets (thanks John, Thanks CIES!)

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

OK so if you have the bladders installed in your plane to remove the sending unit you need to remove the front top wing cover near the filler cap to access the sending unit. 

20180524_164708.jpg

That be the process. Looks like you had a leak at one point. What I am trying to figure out what that metal piece is on the bladder side.