TSIO 360 Oil Quick Drain

My Encore has this type.  It is the one piece type.   Slip a hose on it and push up to drain versus some of the others that require removing a cap and attaching the drain fitting and hose.  I find this one easier to use when taking an oil sample.

Don't have the part number but it should be 5/8 - 18 threads as the crush washer is AN 900-11 

Bill

313E2495-B95F-459E-9871-8913BC1CA554.jpeg

As usual, Paul is right.  The throw on the less expensive one is too long (there seems to be a baffle in the bottom of the sump) so it won't open.  You'll see the wrong one on ebay soon ;-))  I wish someone sold the tapered o-ring that forms the seal - that's all I need to stop it from weeping. 

• Thanks 1

Just a word of caution.  I had an incident years ago where a small piece of plastic or hard rubber went into the quick drain but would not pass through, and instead prevented it from completely sealing.  Lost most of the oil and had to throttle back and glide to a landing from 19k.  The first symptom was a drip on the nose gear, had a mechanic check it right before the fateful flight, and he said that was normal for quick drains.  Just last week I happened to be looking through the maintenance logs, and realized that quick drain was not old and failing, it had recently been installed.  So that plastic had been swimming around in the oil for awhile.  I still have the quick drain, don’t know the brand, but I have it regularly inspected and I have the “kit” installed every couple of years that renews the seal.  I also periodically have the A&P remove the drain at annual and let the oil leave through the big hole instead of that tiny hole in the drain, to get any swimmers out.

Edited by jlunseth
  • Like 2