Chicago FBO?

FloridaMan

I may fly myself to Chicago tomorrow from Tampa as there are no direct flights and airfare is high. It’s a bit further than I prefer for my standard mission and the weather is less than perfect, but I think I can dodge the buildups and maintain VFR or IFR in VMC. I’m instrument rated, but the IMC looks like there’s a high potential of convective activity. 

What FBOs/airports in the area are best? It looks like Gary KGYY has train access for me to get to the convention center and reasonable fuel prices. 

I may fly myself to Chicago tomorrow from Tampa as there are no direct flights and airfare is high. It’s a bit further than I prefer for my standard mission and the weather is less than perfect, but I think I can dodge the buildups and maintain VFR or IFR in VMC. I’m instrument rated, but the IMC looks like there’s a high potential of convective activity. 
What FBOs/airports in the area are best? It looks like Gary KGYY has train access for me to get to the convention center and reasonable fuel prices. 

I received great and affordable service at KGYY last summer. We had a rental car waiting but tolls are high and parking in Chicago were even higher. We may try Midway next time and use Uber/Lyft, but need to check FBO pricing first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So... if I opt out on the $8.07/gal. fuel at Midway, what are the ramp and tie-down fees? Fuel at Gary/Chicago Intl. 18 miles away is only $4.93/gallon, but the tolls on I-90 eat up the savings quickly.

1 hour ago, cnoe said:

So... if I opt out on the $8.07/gal. fuel at Midway, what are the ramp and tie-down fees? Fuel at Gary/Chicago Intl. 18 miles away is only $4.93/gallon, but the tolls on I-90 eat up the savings quickly.

Google maps was showing a train station and a $10 train ride to downtown. 

Always had good luck with DuPage. It's a bit of a hike from downtown, but no fees and reasonable fuel prices (especially at self-serve). It's also outside of the bravo airspace so you get direct routing and no delays. 

Re MDW, iirc you can buy 10 gallons of the $8.00 fuel to have a ($70?) ramp fee waived. Orange line into the city is awfully convenient. 

Many an MSer has gone into Midway.  Close, with train access...

I came from the East, had rental car for the weekend and used Gary, Indiana...

This was one of those get out of Dodge, a Hurricane is coming on the East Coast...  minimal planning, but all worked out well...

Chicago is a great city to visit for a weekend... 

Flying IFR in the outer bands of a hurricane... lots of water in the air... ATC has there hands full.  Getting sent closer to the hurricane before getting in the system properly and headed outbound...  in the system, just given odd headings to follow...

Best regards,

-a-

I just flew into Gary yesterday, uber was $62.  I just issued the train which is only $7 or so.  I looked into MDW but the fees seemed too high.  100LL is $4.70 or so.  The main runway is closed. 

Are you here for the NRA show?

I flew into MDW about not long after the destruction of Meigs in my relatively newly acquired Mooney and still VFR only.  It was a great flight, very convenient to downtown, and great memories we will never forget.  This was before ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot with geo referenced taxi maps and I remember being anxious about it, but in reality it was no big deal.  Whatever the ramp fees and fuel prices were I do not remember, but it was worth it for the memories.

14 hours ago, Antares said:

At $8/gallon for 100LL to reduce facility fees, something smells of price fixing. 

MDW is definitely more expensive than Gary. We usually don’t buy fuel and just pay the facility fee. My wife likes that you can be walking on Michigan Ave in twenty minutes. We’ve always gotten great service at Atlantic. Added bonus is an awesome approach if they are using 22L/22R!

DF7D84C2-52EC-4D26-88CB-B282622A6D2F.thumb.jpeg.56d8312d8767e3f6c691bd083f4b1ef2.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

I just flew into Gary yesterday, uber was $62.  I just issued the train which is only $7 or so.  I looked into MDW but the fees seemed too high.  100LL is $4.70 or so.  The main runway is closed. 

Are you here for the NRA show?

That’s the intention. Is that why you’re there?

9 hours ago, mooneyman said:

MDW is definitely more expensive than Gary. We usually don’t buy fuel and just pay the facility fee. My wife likes that you can be walking on Michigan Ave in twenty minutes. We’ve always gotten great service at Atlantic. Added bonus is an awesome approach if they are using 22L/22R!

View is good, but nothing like the one I had when flying out of runway 36 on FS... The only thing that comes close to it is the Toronto Island (Billy Bishop) airport on lake Ontario, where you get a gorgeous view of downtown Toronto!

Here's a link for the memories... 

• Like 1

View is good, but nothing like the one I had when flying out of runway 36 on FS... The only thing that comes close to it is the Toronto Island (Billy Bishop) airport on lake Ontario, where you get a gorgeous view of downtown Toronto!
Here's a link for the memories... 

N201JP is famous, I wonder if anyone on here owns it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 years ago on the way to Oshkosh with a stopover at Chicago I visited what was left of Meigs Field and walked the length and back. Not much was done there with just about no development with plenty of ducks roaming around.

I thought what a waste of an active and useful airfield at a fantastic location.