Electronic Ignition

bucko

I've run a search on the topic of Electronic Ignition replacement of one mag in MooneySpace, but no hits on pros/cons.

Thinking of putting one in my 1965 M20-E; IO-360 fuel injected.  Seeing 154 knots TAS running LOP at 8 gallons/hour at 7,000 to 10,000 feet now.  Would I see much of an improvement?

People who have done it, what say you?

Bucko Strehlow

Bucko,

You need to know how to use the + sign between the words... for the search to be specific enough...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Electronic ignition&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Electroaire and Surefly seem to be the two manufacturers.

Electroaire has the most posts...

Best regards,

-a-

My only concern with electronic ignitions is it vulnerability to lightning strikes. Unlike traditional magneto ignitions electronic ignitions employ semiconductors. Semiconductors operate at very low voltages and are more subject to damage than contacts on a traditional ignition. You can get hit by lightning without  being inside the cloud.

José 

Interesting topic, José.

I know our fuel level guy had to demonstrate some lightning strike tests for his digital fuel level systems... so the FAA is asking the right question...

The electronic ignition guys must have an answer to match... (I hope)  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Unlike a car hood which are made out of metal a Mooney cowlings on later models are made of fiberglass so a spark can go thru into the spark plug cable or P lead and damage the electronic ignition.
José

You still have the others magneto, EI replaces only 1 mag. If this is a concern, putting EI on the lower spark plugs will be more protected against lightning.