Opinions on engine monitors

23 hours ago, teejayevans said:

The advantages is less maintenance, additional useful load, a less cluttered look, both from the front and behind the panel, including removing annunciator. If you are going to do major work, removing some of the old stuff is minimal additional work.

4ade8cdb16b06c0cd26a5f5ac3f0732c.jpg

I agree removing the old gages is a way to go. However, it took me as much time to remove the old stuff as to install a CGR-30 (primary) in my '67F with 201 windshield. There's just not much access there and many people underestimate labor needed to do that.

BTW, you have very nice panel. Is that Garmin Avia 660 on top?

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, jazztheglass said:

John-  thanks for your reply.  One of the things I was wondering about is what do you gain by adding the cgr-30 c?  On the P I will display MP, tach, oil pressure, oil temp, egt, cht, fuel flow and oat and volts.  What else do you display on the C or do you split some of these functions onto two gauges?  Thanks for the valuable feedback

The P can display two arcs, EGT, CHT, and three other primary instruments (in my case fuel flow, TIT and air temperature drop across the intercooler, all of which are necessary for setting power.)  You can put a bunch of other instruments on the second page, but I want my primary instruments to be displayed simultaneously and at all times, in particular CHT, Fuel Flow, TIT, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and left/right fuel quantity.  There's not really a way to do that with just a P.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:10 PM, Kris_Adams said:

I have the P and C in my Mooney. Im pretty happy with the gauges but not so happy with the EI EGT probes and a few other things. We’ve probably put 7 or 8 replacements and I need one right now. I guess EI had a bad batch of probes about 14-16 months ago and I must have gotten them. I’ve also had to ship the gauges back to EI once and it seemed to take forever.  I’ve heard EI has great support but I don’t think I’d buy them again. 

Hi Kris,

Please send me a PM with your details and I will do my best to help you.  I'd like to get a new EGT probe to you if you have one that is being problematic.

• Like 1

Yes, very generous from EI.

Years ago, shortly after I bought my F, I spoke to EI rep in their booths on some airshow in OR. I mentioned trouble with one EGT probe and he reached under the counter and gave me a new one. No charge!

That was the one of the reasons I bought the CGR30P. And I love the monitor as well. Thank you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oregon87 said:

Hi Kris,

Please send me a PM with your details and I will do my best to help you.  I'd like to get a new EGT probe to you if you have one that is being problematic.

Very generous offer.  I've sent you a PM with my address and phone # if you want details.  Thanks!