Help identify spacer found replacing front shock discs

Found a spacer under the collar that holds the top of the sock disc stack. I didn’t see it in the parts catalog and thought I would be unable to compress discs with it in there. I left it out and was able to get things back together.  It still took quite a bit of force using the special tool to compress the discs.  Would like help as to why it was there and if it’s necessary.  The old discs were like rocks and were quite a bit shorter than the new ones put in.   See photos    

88963F70-A8DD-4149-9BB6-F568BE9B36C7.jpeg

B1AAB756-2140-4CB4-B43A-4B29684D5235.jpeg

A2538ACB-E6B1-4C8F-8777-4624D0C39134.jpeg

DADE710C-9FA5-4A89-859B-7FAF1A3E0C97.jpeg

I think that may be a Service Bullitin M20-202 spacer used to adjust the squeeze on the shock disks to make sure the center axis of the front axel is aft of the plumb line used to index its position per the bullitin. 

I.e. This part: https://lasar.com/product/service-bulletin-kit-tracking-spacer-m20-202-001/

Also referenced here: http://www.donmaxwell.com/publications/MAPA_TEXT/M20-202 - Eight-Second Ride/EIGHT_SECOND_RIDE.HTM 

• Like 2

I leveled the plane this morning and checked it per m20-202 and it appears to be just inside the specs that make the shim not necessary. It seemed to take a lot of pressure from the compression tool I rented from lasar just to get it back together without the shim. It came apart with little pressure from the tool, I think the old disks had compressed and hardened a lot.  I dread thinking about trying to compress things enough to get it together with the shim.

Is it important to get it well inside the specs or will just inside be ok. I was hoping after a few landings and some use the new disks would compress some.

Edited by mikejr718
add

Not so much a shopping cart wobble as darting one way or another uncontrollably.  Spent a lot of time, money and effort before the internet trying to figure out what was wrong with my plane. If you need the spacer there will be no doubt later.  A mechanic that sold himself as a Mooney expert replaced rod ends and steering horn to no avail before I learned of SB 202.  Same mechanic later tried to kill me. Twice.  Back then I trusted people.

After reading about the possibility of having the plane take off left or right on its own we went ahead and put the spacer back in today. Seemed like a good idea as we still had the tool available to compress the disks. The result

IMG_5237.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1