Avionics work in Phoenix area- recommendations

I’m moving down to Phoenix in a month or two- I’m looking for any recommendations for a shop/A&P for maintenance, as well as a recommendation for some avionics work.

im expecting to get a hangar at DVT in the next few weeks (after 4 months I’m now at the top of the wait list), although will most likely move down to Phoenix-Goodyear based on the location of the house we just purchased.

thanks!

Chandler Avionics is one of the big local places.   My airplane is currently exploded across the hangar at EAM in Scottsdale, but whether or not I'd recommend them may depend on what happens in the next few weeks.   They're certainly a capable and professional shop, but there's always that one guy...  ;)

I think Cutter at DVT and Sky Harbor also do a lot of avionics work, and I've seen the guys with the mobile come-to-your-hangar avionics vans around DVT before, too.   Depending on what you need there are multiple places in the area to pick from.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, M016576 said:

I’m moving down to Phoenix in a month or two- I’m looking for any recommendations for a shop/A&P for maintenance, as well as a recommendation for some avionics work.

im expecting to get a hangar at DVT in the next few weeks (after 4 months I’m now at the top of the wait list), although will most likely move down to Phoenix-Goodyear based on the location of the house we just purchased.

thanks!

I’m in hangar row 10.  Just east of the aero guard school parking area on the south side.  Don’t have any recommendations for avionics, but just a hello from a fellow DVT Mooney pilot

• Like 1

Yes, btw, let us know when you get your hangar assignment.   Brice (ragedracer1977) is on the South side, I'm on the North side, there are a TON of Mooneys on the field, several of whom have pilots that appear here from time to time.   Welcome to the busiest GA airport in the country.   Never a dull moment, and get used to lots of heavily-accented students on the radio.  ;)

GYR is also an interesting airport, so wherever you ultimately wind up you'll have a good home field.

DVT has a really good restaurant, though.  ;)

• Like 1

Thanks- looking forward to it!  I flew in last weekend to go house hunting- lots of traffic, that’s for sure.  Beautiful area though- nice facilities and a great location at the far north side of the class B.  Made the in/out a snap!  Once I get a hangar I’ll post it.  

Howdy neighbor, I am in hangar row 9 at DVT.  I have used Westwind Avionics in the Cutter hangar a few times and am very pleased with their work.  Their fees were reasonable.  Doug is the shop manager.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CCowboy said:

Howdy neighbor, I am in hangar row 9 at DVT.  I have used Westwind Avionics in the Cutter hangar a few times and am very pleased with their work.  Their fees were reasonable.  Doug is the shop manager.  

Thanks, I appreciate it!

M016576 it only took you 40 months to move to the top of the DVT list?  I was told to expect about a year.  I will have to talk with them today about getting on the list.  I wasn't aware there were so many Mooney's on DVT, that is exciting.  I am hoping to finalize a sale within the next couple weeks - narrowed down to a plane that I made an offer on in Tennessee, and I am going to look at one for sale at DVT today.  

Are there any Mooney meet-ups at DVT?

Edited by ValkyrieRider
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 8:58 AM, CCowboy said:

Where in row 9? I'm in 10-5

6 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Times must be getting longer. I was on for less than 3 months

It was about six months for me.    Compare that to the decades-long wait lists at Chandler or Scottsdale.   

Once I get the plane down there (in about two weeks), you can all come check out my Missile... or as I refer to her: the Mooney millennium falcon... she may not look like much (due to the 1982 paint), but she’s got it where it counts!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 10:21 AM, ValkyrieRider said:

M016576 it only took you 40 months to move to the top of the DVT list?  I was told to expect about a year.  I will have to talk with them today about getting on the list.  I wasn't aware there were so many Mooney's on DVT, that is exciting.  I am hoping to finalize a sale within the next couple weeks - narrowed down to a plane that I made an offer on in Tennessee, and I am going to look at one for sale at DVT today.  

Are there any Mooney meet-ups at DVT?

I put my name on the list in mid february with the ~$200 deposit, I got notification that they had a hangar for me on the 30th of May.  Worked out to be about 3.5 months.  Once I get settled, I’m actually going to be moving the mooney down to Goodyear, as it’s much closer to where we ended up finding a house, and where I’ll be working for the next 3 or so years... but in the mean time, i’ll be at DVT (great spot- wish we could have found a nice house in Arrowhead.. but it wasn’t meant to be!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, M016576 said:

Well, I’ve made it off the wait list: I’m flying the missile down to deer valley on Monday- Looking forward to bedding it down in its new home!

Did you wind up on the north side or south side?   Holler if you need any help getting settled.

On 6/3/2018 at 8:42 AM, EricJ said:

Did you wind up on the north side or south side?   Holler if you need any help getting settled.

I’m waaaayyyyy up on the north side- 32 row.  Right next to a walking gate, which is nice- but a bit of a drive to get around from the vehicle gate.  Sounds like most of the mooneyspacers are on the south side?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, M016576 said:

I’m waaaayyyyy up on the north side- 32 row.  Right next to a walking gate, which is nice- but a bit of a drive to get around from the vehicle gate.  Sounds like most of the mooneyspacers are on the south side?

I'm on the north side, row 34, so not far from you.  There are lots of Mooneys, of all vintages, on the north side, although I don't know how many are on MS.

• Like 1