The Mooney has a hanger-mate

Posted about this a while back. Some thought it was good and others thought it would be tough to stay proficient, but after flying in it I really enjoyed the challenge of learning the twin engine.

Here is the history of the purchase. A older gent at our field who is now in his 80s has gotten to the point in life that he is permanently wheelchair dependent. Dementia has set in pretty well and he is now family dependent.. In his day Roy was a big aviation buff who was crazy about his Twin Comanche. It's a 66B model and he has owned it since 1973. He has always hangered in the same enclosed hanger all those years and no expense spared on maintenance, he added mods as they came out. Long story short the family has finally come to terms it is time to sell the plane, they really hoped to see it stay in the area. One of the family's close friends, a doctor at our field that owns a Aztec has been flying Mr. Roy's Comanche regularly about once or twice a month to keep it exercised. He has pretty much been the caretaker of the Comanche for the last 6+ years or so. The family really trusts him, even gave him the okay to have any maintenance ( minor or maintenance) done as needed with a open checkbook. Most recently had two new boost pumps, new battery and upgrade to Garmin 345 ADSB transponder installed just a few months ago.

This is where I come in. I had expressed an interest in flying twins and the doctor has kept me in the loop on the families thoughts about selling. Well, finally the family has decided to sell it and we've struck a deal. We close this week. One of the families requests was an emotional one. The first was could  I try to keep it in the same hanger it has been in for the last 20 + yrs where their father has kept it? and number two was could they bring the their dad out for an occasional visit to see the plane. I said no problem..I would like that. Their dad is really to the point in his illness that he really does not know what is going on, but being a big family person I  know how passionate their dad (Roy) was about his Comanche and I welcomed them anytime. I only had the pleasure of talking to Roy, their dad, a few times many years ago when he was still aware of his surroundings. Those few times we spoke I saw his passion and will say he did love that Comanche and just flying in general. A very nice man.  The last few years of any kind of awareness Roy's wife would drive him to the airport just to visit the plane. A few years ago the caretaker doc would help Mr. Roy in the plane and fly the pattern a few laps..Even though he was not flying, he still loved his Comanche. Yesterday Roy's son who has been negotiating the deal said yesterday he really was sad to have to tell his dad they sold the Comanche.

So far I've been up In it three times lately, twice I was in the left seat. Love flying the twin and it will have a purpose for me. My Mooney will still be my passion and first real plane. It is great knowing  my Mooney will have company when the hanger doors are closed. I start twin training next week in Memphis. Insurance was reasonable and we close the deal in the next few days. Big pluses on the purchase. Mr Roy was the second owner and purchased it only a few years after new. It's been at the same shop for most of it's life. Mr. Roy was a mechanical perfectionist and business owner. He never let anything laps that needed attention (especially when it came to his plane). Logs are complete and accurate. Engines are only 500 hrs since overhaul. Knock on wood nothing comes up, but I think short of buying a warranty package from a dealer this is as close to a solid safe purchase as one could hope for.

I'd call this a win, win all the way around. Everyone gets a good feeling. I get a new bird, Mr Roy gets to know the plane stays in Dyersburg and in his old hanger. A little sappy and nostalgic at the same time, but a happy ending and new chapter in my aviation journey of learning

We truly are just "Caretakers" of our birds until the next person comes along...........

-Tom

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, TWinter said:

Posted about this a while back. Some thought it was good and others thought it would be tough to stay proficient, but after flying in it I really enjoyed the challenge of learning the twin engine.

Here is the history of the purchase. A older gent at our field in his 80s has gotten to the point in life that he is permanently wheelchair dependent. Dementia has set in pretty well and he is now family dependent.. In his day Roy was a big aviation buff who was crazy about his Twin Comanche. It's a 66B model and he has owned it since 1973. He has always hangered in the same enclosed hanger all those years and no expense spared on maintenance, he added mods as they came out. Long story short the family has finally come to terms it is time to sell the plane sell, they really hoped to see it stay in the area. One of the family's close friends, a doctor at our field that owns a Aztec has been flying Mr. Roy's Comanche regularly about once or twice a month to keep it exercised. He has pretty much been the caretaker of the Comanche for the last 6+ years or so. The family really trusts him, even gave him the okay to have any maintenance ( minor or maintenance) done as needed with a open checkbook. Most recently had two new boost pumps, new battery and upgrade to Garmin 345 ADSB transponder installed just a few months ago.

This is where I come in. I had expressed an interest in flying twins and the doctor has kept me in the loop on the families thoughts about selling. Well, finally the family has decided to sell it and we've struck a deal. We close this week. One of the families requests was an emotional one. The first was could  I try to keep it in the same hanger it has been in for the last 20 + yrs where their father has kept it? and number two was could they bring the their dad out for an occasional visit to see the plane. I said no problem..I would like that. Their dad is really to the point in his illness that he really does not know what is going on, but being a big family person I  know how passionate their dad (Roy) was about his Comanche and I welcomed them anytime. I only had the pleasure of talking to Roy, their dad, a few times many years ago when he was still aware of his surroundings. Those few times we spoke I saw his passion and will say he did love that Comanche and just flying in general. A very nice man. Over the last few years of any kind of awareness Roy's wife would drive him to the airport just to visit the plane. A few years ago on occasion the caretaker doc who has been taking care of it would help Mr. Roy in the plane and fly the pattern a few laps..Even though he was not flying, he still loved his Comanche. Yesterday Roy's son who has been negotiating the deal said yesterday he really was sad to have to tell his dad they sold the Comanche.

So far I've been up In it three times lately, twice I was in the left seat. Love flying the twin and it will have a purpose for me. My Mooney will still be my passion and first real plane. It is great knowing  my Mooney will have company when the hanger doors are closed. I start twin training next week in Memphis. Insurance was reasonable and we close the deal in the next few days.

I'd call this a win, win all the way around. Everyone gets a good feeling. I get a new bird, Mr Roy gets to know the plane stays in Dyersburg and in his old hanger. A little sappy and nostalgic at the same time, but a happy ending and new chapter in my aviation journey of learning

We truly are just "Caretakers" of our birds until the next person comes along...........

-Tom

What a wonderful story Tom and congratulations on your acquisition. I believe there is some genetic relationship between their wings, meaning that Al Mooney had some involvement in the design of the Twin Com wing. Both your aircraft are truly related.

Post a pic of them parked together if possible.

• Like 1

Nice story.  Hope the previous owner gets a few more years worth the trips out to see it.

Dyersburg??  I've made multiple flights into Gibson County over the last several years.  Hoping to fly in there next week and pick up MY second plane with new paint and interior.  Do you know Brad?

Tom

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Nice story.  Hope the previous owner gets a few more years worth the trips out to see it.

Dyersburg??  I've made multiple flights into Gibson County over the last several years.  Hoping to fly in there next week and pick up MY second plane with new paint and interior.  Do you know Brad?

Tom

I hope the prior owner gets a few more flights in her as well.

Not sure about "Brad"? From Dyersburg or where you are having your plane redone? Our field is small and there are no shops here.

Quick picture of how it sits now..Color and scheme are right out of the 60-70s, but only 500 SMOH on both. Has Garmin 530, 345 transponder in/out and Stec 55X auto-pilot.  

Hope to pull the 530 and go with a GTN750 and two G5s in the center. Needs a good engine monitor as well. Avionics goals

Depending on cash flow I have it scheduled for paint in the fall and plan to have the "Wow Cowl" mod done. The second picture is my cosmetic goal.

-Tom

Comanche.jpg

twin pic.jpg

wow cowl LoPresti.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TWinter said:

I hope the prior owner gets a few more flights in her as well.

Not sure about "Brad"? From Dyersburg or where you are having your plane redone? Our field is small and there are no shops here.

Brad Simmons, Airframes Inc. on KTGC.  He's pretty much nationally know for his Lancair work, and has had many award winning planes at airshows.  The reason I'm familiar with your airport is you have an AWOS,  KTGC does NOT.  When flying in I always listen to the 3 surrounding airport AWOS's to get a feel on what to expect at KTGC.

Have fun with the Comanche.  

Tom

Just now, Yooper Rocketman said:

Brad Simmons, Airframes Inc. on KTGC.  He's pretty much nationally know for his Lancair work, and has had many award winning planes at airshows.  The reason I'm familiar with your airport is you have an AWOS,  KTGC does NOT.  When flying in I always listen to the 3 surrounding airport AWOS's to get a feel on what to expect at KTGC.

Have fun with the Comanche.  

Tom

Oh..okay gotcha. I'll have to look him up. Just a heads up and you probably already know, but KTKX (Kennett) now has AWOS and the cheapest fuel in the area. I think they are $1.10 a gallon less then my field (KDYR). If you are every at DYR give me a shout and we can grab lunch and talk airplanes.. :)

-Tom

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 9:40 AM, TWinter said:

Here is the history of the purchase. A older gent at our field who is now in his 80s has gotten to the point in life that he is permanently wheelchair dependent. Dementia has set in pretty well and he is now family dependent.. In his day Roy was a big aviation buff who was crazy about his Twin Comanche. It's a 66B model and he has owned it since 1973. He has always hangered in the same enclosed hanger all those years and no expense spared on maintenance, he added mods as they came out. Long story short the family has finally come to terms it is time to sell the plane, they really hoped to see it stay in the area. One of the family's close friends, a doctor at our field that owns a Aztec has been flying Mr. Roy's Comanche regularly about once or twice a month to keep it exercised. He has pretty much been the caretaker of the Comanche for the last 6+ years or so. The family really trusts him, even gave him the okay to have any maintenance ( minor or maintenance) done as needed with a open checkbook. Most recently had two new boost pumps, new battery and upgrade to Garmin 345 ADSB transponder installed just a few months ago.

This is where I come in. I had expressed an interest in flying twins and the doctor has kept me in the loop on the families thoughts about selling. Well, finally the family has decided to sell it and we've struck a deal. We close this week. One of the families requests was an emotional one. The first was could  I try to keep it in the same hanger it has been in for the last 20 + yrs where their father has kept it? and number two was could they bring the their dad out for an occasional visit to see the plane. I said no problem..I would like that. Their dad is really to the point in his illness that he really does not know what is going on, but being a big family person I  know how passionate their dad (Roy) was about his Comanche and I welcomed them anytime. I only had the pleasure of talking to Roy, their dad, a few times many years ago when he was still aware of his surroundings. Those few times we spoke I saw his passion and will say he did love that Comanche and just flying in general. A very nice man.  The last few years of any kind of awareness Roy's wife would drive him to the airport just to visit the plane. A few years ago the caretaker doc would help Mr. Roy in the plane and fly the pattern a few laps..Even though he was not flying, he still loved his Comanche. Yesterday Roy's son who has been negotiating the deal said yesterday he really was sad to have to tell his dad they sold the Comanche.

So far I've been up In it three times lately, twice I was in the left seat. Love flying the twin and it will have a purpose for me. My Mooney will still be my passion and first real plane. It is great knowing  my Mooney will have company when the hanger doors are closed. I start twin training next week in Memphis. Insurance was reasonable and we close the deal in the next few days. Big pluses on the purchase. Mr Roy was the second owner and purchased it only a few years after new. It's been at the same shop for most of it's life. Mr. Roy was a mechanical perfectionist and business owner. He never let anything laps that needed attention (especially when it came to his plane). Logs are complete and accurate. Engines are only 500 hrs since overhaul. Knock on wood nothing comes up, but I think short of buying a warranty package from a dealer this is as close to a solid safe purchase as one could hope for.

-Tom

Congratulations!  You’ll love the Twin Comanche.

A few things to watch out for, nose gear over steer while towing, it has a very limited turn radius.  Drain your fuel strainers regularly, they have 2 ADs on them and are prone to corrosion, landing gear transmission bearings come loose on Dura brand transmissions, Dukes are much better.  Both require regular greasing and gear wear inspections.

Clarence

The previous owner's son dropped off file boxes of paper-trail for this Comanche..The folders contained a time warp of information of not just this airplane, but receipts from various service centers dating all the way back to 1967.. It was pretty cool looking at all the receipts. One file folder had the original receipt from the first owner. The plane sold first for $34,990, the first buyer gave a $1000 deposit until it arrived.

There was also paperwork from when the guy I bought it from purchased it in 1974. He paid $25,250.

His hanger rent was $20 for enclosed hanger #5.

Fuel receipts for a gallon of AV Gas was less than .50 a gal.

Average shop labor was $18 an hour.

The only thing I noticed kind of odd and interesting were the insurance premiums. They were very consistent with what we are paying now. Averages were $2500 +/- over the years 

Lots of cool history, not just about this plane, but aviation in general of that era.

-Tom

• Like 3