ADS-B Garmin 327 to 330ES swap

On 5/19/2018 at 6:45 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Nope, that will do it. I had a very similar situation with a 530W and a 330. Get the ES upgrade and reinstall. Done.

In addition to the GPS input, what was used for for the 'ground' function? Air speed switch, squat switch or does the 330 not need this?

iain

Ok, I’m going to admit I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to adsb out solutions but I’m now starting to look around at what is available at a good price. The Garmin GDL82 looks real reasonable to buy and a pretty much install yourself and have it signed off piece of equipment? Price is under 1800 and connects to your original transponder. If it isn’t what you want in a few years you could probably remove it and sell for 70% of the original price. I assume all you are looking for is adsb compliance for now. Let me know if lm in left field as I’m in a learning mode myself.

The 330ES uses software to determine air / ground ADS-B

The latest revision of the Kt-74 also had an update for software based a/g switching.  However, the perregrine STC may or may not have updated to get rid of the need for the airspeed switch.

ES in my opinion is a simpler installation for folks that want OUT and already have a waas source.