rotate the tires?

There was also the whole Nylon biased tires take a set and then changing the rotation cause them to fail earlier.   Or was that radial steel belts.   I can't remember.    There there was the car straight up criss cross to the rear or was it criss cross all 4, I really can't keep up.

I am more on the if ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by Yetti

You do have to flip the tire, we almost always have a x-wind so the right tire outside gets the most wear, the A&P would flip or swap as needed, I would have to look at the logs, but I think they would get 400 or so hours out of the tires on a 172 with a crap load of landings

21 minutes ago, Yetti said:

There was also the whole Nylon biased tires take a set and then changing the rotation cause them to fail earlier.   Or was that radial steel belts.   I can't remember.    There there was the car straight up criss cross to the rear or was it criss cross all 4, I really can't keep up.

I am more on the if ain't broke, don't fix it.

With race tires the general philosophy is that if the inside air isn't showing it's good to go.

I'm more careful with airplane tires, but I don't think they care which way they go.

My last set of tires that came off the race car.   A set of four plus two that get rotated in and out as needed.   All six are showing cord.   D'oh.

20180427_091734.jpg

On 5/16/2018 at 10:18 AM, Mooney in Oz said:

An old aircraft mechanic who used to look after my Mooney many years ago told me the wearing out on the outside tyre was due to the culmination of many xw landings on that particular side.

Clarence?

In many cases it is a result of the camber angle of the main gear.  Cirrus and Diamond airframes wear tires even more, they have greater camber angle in flight which straightens out once the weight is on the gear.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

This topic makes me wonder why everyone isn't seeking out retreads.  After working for a small retreader for a few years and then working for Goodyear for a few years I can tell you that retreads are hands down the better tire.  Every airplane tire made (at least when I left Goodyear in '99) was made from a single compound and I don't think that has changed.  As such, the manufacturer has to compromise between hardness for durability and softness for a smoother ride. 

When retreading, you can take a soft tire, like an aerotrainer and put a hard tread on it, giving you the best of both worlds.  Add in the fact that the retread is cheaper because half the material was already there and you are left with the best tire value out there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

This topic makes me wonder why everyone isn't seeking out retreads.  After working for a small retreader for a few years and then working for Goodyear for a few years I can tell you that retreads are hands down the better tire.  Every airplane tire made (at least when I left Goodyear in '99) was made from a single compound and I don't think that has changed.  As such, the manufacturer has to compromise between hardness for durability and softness for a smoother ride. 

When retreading, you can take a soft tire, like an aerotrainer and put a hard tread on it, giving you the best of both worlds.  Add in the fact that the retread is cheaper because half the material was already there and you are left with the best tire value out there.

Because all retreads will not fit inside the wheel wells of our Mooneys when we raise the gear, and some will squeeze into the wheel well but not come back out . . . .

7 hours ago, Hank said:

Because all retreads will not fit inside the wheel wells of our Mooneys when we raise the gear, and some will squeeze into the wheel well but not come back out . . . .

All retreaded tires must meet the TSO for a new tire which includes size. The monster retread is advertised as an oversized tire and this may not fit on a retract. But it plainly says that it’s an oversized tire. . But anyways the SMM says to do three full retract and extend cycles and if your A&p is following that, then I can’t foresee an issue.  Except saving 200-300$ on a tire change.  

Edited by jetdriven

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

All retreaded tires must meet the TSO for a new tire which includes size. The monster retread is advertised as an oversized tire and this may not fit on a retract. But it plainly says that it’s an oversized tire. . But anyways the SMM says to do three full retract and extend cycles and if your A&p is following that, then I can’t foresee an issue.  Except saving 200-300$ on a tire change.  

My last mains, bought in late 2012 or 2013, were only ~$150 each. I'd love to know where to get a set of free retreads! Goodyear Flight Customs, I refuse to pay the upcharge for FC II or III as there are zero benefit for the higher prices.

It's all in what you want. I don't see the benefit in FCIII at my weight and ground speed. What do I get for the extra $90 per tire? No, I don't need any now, this was quick price check that can probably be beaten easily. 

Screenshot_20180518-115322_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9e4bf22ac0c7a5fe7d005f70a20c28a6.jpg

My Flight Special II mains are holding up well.

Just replace the tire. Tires are cheap. There are some expensive tires out there GoodYear, etc but they are in no way better than the AirHawks at a fraction of the price for aircraft under 20,000#. I can't see spending the labor to remove a tire off the hub and then reuse it.

-Robert

4 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Just replace the tire. Tires are cheap. There are some expensive tires out there GoodYear, etc but they are in no way better than the AirHawks at a fraction of the price for aircraft under 20,000#. I can't see spending the labor to remove a tire off the hub and then reuse it.

-Robert

Really?  An FC3 is no better than an Air Hawk!  Have you picked both up to feel the difference in weight, stiffness of the sidewall, thickness of the carcass, etc.  Air Hawks are cheaper for a reason.

Clarence

32 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Really?  An FC3 is no better than an Air Hawk!  Have you picked both up to feel the difference in weight, stiffness of the sidewall, thickness of the carcass, etc.  Air Hawks are cheaper for a reason.

Clarence

Oh I’m sure they are different but I doubt you’ll ever be able to realize a difference in these light planes. I’ve always gotten 10+ years from airhawks. 

Could have 10# of rubber on them but they’ll still work the same. 

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1