1965 Mooney M20E Super 21

kmhanson

1965 Mooney M20E Super 21

N79865 - Serial #528

Price: $43,000 USD

Phone: 913-269-6498,

Email: kevin@n903wt.com

General: (Click here for pdf spec sheet)

• 3947 TT
  • 1554 SMOH
  • 1178 TSPOH – Hartzell HC-C2YK-1BF
  • Excellent condition and extremely well maintained classic Mooney!
  • The ’65 E is often considered the best Mooney of the Pre-201 Era
  • Fast and economical: ~150KT @10GPH!
  • Aircraft hangared at Pompano Airpark in Pompano Beach, FL
  • Always US-based and hangared
  • Owned since 2007; Previous owner owned since 1992
  • Complete logbooks since new.
  • Annual condition inspection will be complete 5/18/2018
  • IFR Certification due 10/2019
  • ELT battery replaced 5/2018
  • High Resolution Photo gallery: Click for high resolution photo gallery here

Engine:

• Lycoming 200hp IO-360-A1A, fuel injected
  • Compressions at 5/2017 annual 76/80, 72/80, 72/80, 70/80
  • Alternator STC Upgrade

Avionics:

• Nav/Com 1 Narco Mark 12D - IDME w/Glide Slope
  • Com 2 King KX175B•Narco ADF 31A w/ Davtron Digital Readout
  • BendixKing KT 76A Transponder
  • SSD120-XXA-RS232 Mode C Altitude Encoder/Digitizer
  • Apollo IFR GPS GX50
  • S-TEC 30 Autopilot w/ Altitude Hold
  • Autopilot coupled to Nav 1 and Apollo II GX50
  • Mid-Continent CDI w/ Built-in Annunciator (MD40-65L)
  • Precise Flight Standby Vacuum System III
  • Flight Com System 4-Place Intercom w/Clearance Recorder and Tape Player
  • Panel Layout Upgraded to Standard 6-Pack

Additional Equipment:

• Electric Gear
  • Wingtip Strobes
  • O&N Fuel Tank Bladders Installed by Maxwell
  • Cowl Closure & Brake Cylinder Rotation
  • New Style Gear Pucks
  • New Interior 2001
  • Custom Aircraft Cover
  • Interior 7.5•Exterior 8

Comments:

• Minor Damage 7/88 & 3/92
  • Expertly & Appropriately Repaired

MeAndMooney-1600x1200.jpg

20180421_2018_Mooney_31579.jpg

20180421_2018_Mooney_31561.jpg

IMG_20180421_164357.jpg

20180421_2018_Mooney_31551.jpg

20180421_2018_Mooney_31537.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

what kind of dollars would it take to get this panel to a level you would accept?

On this airplane, if I already owned it . . . since it already has an enroute and non-precision approach GPS (Apollo GX50) and a capable autopilot (STEC 30). I would take the simple route first and get ads-b out taken care of. If you did a GDL82 you could leave the existing transponder. You would just need an ipad and a portable ads-b in device. That would set you back $2000 with an A & P doing the install.

If you want to spend $6000, get rid of the old transponder and put in a Garmin GTX 345 and then spend $1000 on a used Garmin 796 and mount it on the yoke. The 796 will talk to the GTX345 and display ADS-B in and synthetic vision.

I would do those things and fly it . .  there will be plenty of other places to spend money on a 53 year old airplane. Once you start dumping $10's of $1,000's into it, it better be the airplane of your dreams.

If I didn't own this airplane but I was looking for an E model my best bet would be to find one that has the panel I already want. I'd be getting the upgrades for pennies on the dollar. Ask me how I know this . . .  the airplane I have now I have spent a lot of money upgrading. I could have bought one that was the way I want for less. My justification has been that the airframe only had 600 TT on it. Live and learn . . lol

• Like 2

I'm somewhat in agreement with @LANCECASPER on this. 

If I owned the airplane... I'd be installing an engine monitor right now. Probably a G2 ($2500) if I know I'll be selling in the future or an EDM900 ($5K) if it's my forever airplane. I would also be shopping for a used 430W ($8K) or 530W to give me better radios and a moving map GPS.  I'd also be looking for a 330ES ($2K)  transponder from @Alan Fox so I'd have ADSB... which would only work if you had already put in a WAAS GPS. I'd also be scouring Barnstormers for an HSI... ($500)   Given enough time and patience I think $12K would get it done to an acceptable level for me.

If I didn't own this airplane... I would maybe keep looking? But maybe not. Well built E's are getting more and more difficult to find. Typically my minimums would be an Stec30 autopilot and a 430W. If you have that, you can build the rest pretty economically. This one is missing the WAAS GPS and that's about an $8K problem.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

On this airplane, if I already owned it . . . since it already has an enroute and non-precision approach GPS (Apollo GX50) and a capable autopilot (STEC 30). I would take the simple route first and get ads-b out taken care of. If you did a GDL82 you could leave the existing transponder. You would just need an ipad and a portable ads-b in device. That would set you back $2000 with an A & P doing the install.

If you want to spend $6000, get rid of the old transponder and put in a Garmin GTX 345 and then spend $1000 on a used Garmin 796 and mount it on the yoke. The 796 will talk to the GTX345 and display ADS-B in and synthetic vision.

I would do those things and fly it . .  there will be plenty of other places to spend money on a 53 year old airplane. Once you start dumping $10's of $1,000's into it, it better be the airplane of your dreams.

If I didn't own this airplane but I was looking for an E model my best bet would be to find one that has the panel I already want. I'd be getting the upgrades for pennies on the dollar. Ask me how I know this . . .  the airplane I have now I have spent a lot of money upgrading. I could have bought one that was the way I want for less. My justification has been that the airframe only had 600 TT on it. Live and learn . . lol

How do you get an 1800.00 adsb GDL82 in an aircraft , for 2000.00   , Its a ten hour install ?? 

On 9/18/2018 at 3:13 PM, Alan Fox said:

How do you get an 1800.00 adsb GDL82 in an aircraft , for 2000.00   , Its a ten hour install ?? 

If I needed one here's how I would do it for $2000:

After reading the manual, I'd discuss with my A&P/IA where he thinks the GDL-82 should be mounted and go over with him where the antenna should be and how he thinks the harness should be run.

gdl82install.pdf

1) Then I'd buy a GDL-82 from Aircraft Spruce with the 10 foot harness for $1733.75.

1097324048_ScreenShot2018-09-18at3_54_48PM.thumb.png.6bb0aea7be691a63b3f3b9cfb6fdce20.png

2) Then I'd pull the side panel and headliner and run the antenna cable. I'd put the other end of the GPS antenna cable on the GDL82 (See #1 Below). The cable that was on the antenna I'd put on the other GDL 82 connector (See #2 below). I'd also pull the belly panel where the transponder antenna is. The cable that previously ran from from the transponder to the antenna I would put on the XPNDR connection on the GDL-82 (See #3 below).

418710511_ScreenShot2018-09-18at4_12_57PM.thumb.png.06eed9c5c7ee3199ba87f9031f12e04c.png

3) Then from the harness I purchased I'd run the power and ground up behind the circuit breakers and plug the other end into J821 on the GDL-82 (See #4 above) . My A & P would drill the hole for the antenna and connect power and ground and inspect the work I did. Then we would test and troubleshoot if necessary and he would do the paperwork and sign off. I would pay him more than he asks and still be slightly under $2000. But even if it ended up a couple hundred over, in aviation terms that's pretty close.

I do my annuals this way and assisted him with a top end overhaul earlier this year.

That's the advantage of the GDL-82, anyone with common sense can do the basics of it with some adult supervision. It's not rocket surgery. But I also understand that not everyone wants to be that involved. I enjoy learning and usually when it's over I'm happy I only had to do it once. :)

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

1) Not sure most people have access to a free IA , not to mention , someone capable of doing the paperwork , 2) Oh and I forgot , a Garmin dealer willing to program it for free...

1) You asked how I would do it for $2000. I explained. I can't think of anyone who does have access to a free IA. We have a long standing relationship. I do things above and beyond for him and he does the same for me.

2) Yes, you must have forgot,  the GDL-82 installation tool is available to anyone. https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=12839

And Garmin even has posted videos on how to use it.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:42 AM, LANCECASPER said:

Okay, got it, thank you for the detailed response. Above and beyond.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:17 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I'm somewhat in agreement with @LANCECASPER on this. 

If I owned the airplane... I'd be installing an engine monitor right now. Probably a G2 ($2500) if I know I'll be selling in the future or an EDM900 ($5K) if it's my forever airplane. I would also be shopping for a used 430W ($8K) or 530W to give me better radios and a moving map GPS.  I'd also be looking for a 330ES ($2K)  transponder from @Alan Fox so I'd have ADSB... which would only work if you had already put in a WAAS GPS. I'd also be scouring Barnstormers for an HSI... ($500)   Given enough time and patience I think $12K would get it done to an acceptable level for me.

If I didn't own this airplane... I would maybe keep looking? But maybe not. Well built E's are getting more and more difficult to find. Typically my minimums would be an Stec30 autopilot and a 430W. If you have that, you can build the rest pretty economically. This one is missing the WAAS GPS and that's about an $8K problem.

Okay, thank you for only somewhat agreeing. that would have been weird. :) And thank you for also for your detailed response.

DF