AOPA Regional Fly In Santa Fe

I went to one of the first Regional fly-in's they had in San Marcos, TX. I wasn't all that impressed. The number of airplanes on the ramp was pretty low and even the number of exhibitors in the hall was low and really limited to the big names only. 

I don't know what I expected, but I don't think I'd go very far to attend another one.

For the most part these AOPA Fly-ins are much like the proverbial $100 hamburger; an excuse to go flying (with often some cross-country time). I’ve been to several and the expenses were typically supplemented by a couple friends who rode along.

For sure don’t expect “deals” like at Oshkosh or S&F though I’ve made a few minor purchases there. I didn’t find the Barnstormer parties too exciting.

Each locale offers something unique, and some have done great job as hosts. Others, such as Tullahoma completely dropped the ball by abandoning the airport on a Friday due to bad weather making that arrival a horrible experience.

Since AOPA switched to the new Friday/Saturday format it’s much better with some really good day-long (paid) workshops. Last year I went to a very informative weather program at the National Severe Storms Lab in Norman, OK. The tornado generator was pretty awesome!

788a98328a33c3de6aa687c34461ca87.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk