Medeco/Janco replacement keys

I've worked with the folks at Aircraft Security on new and replacement keys in the recent past.  

https://aircraftsecurity.com/pages/contact

Call and speak with Jim at the number listed.  The company that cuts keys for Mooney is located next door to him.  If you arrange to send him your keys, he will walk them over, work with the company next door, and get you the correct ones much faster than Mooney can work it through your MSC...unless you're Tamara (who I hear has excellent customer service as well).  So Tamara may be the exception to the rule.  :-)

Jim and his team are excellent folks to work with, and very responsive.

Steve

2 hours ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

I went to a local Mooney Service Center, spoke to the head supervisor, and he advised me that I can't order spare Medeco keys for my ignition from them.   Are there only certain MSC's that you can order these security keys from?  I thought I could order them from ANY MSC.  Obviously not.  

Is this the same MSC that didn't secure your batteries?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

PIREP.....   I finally received my two spare ignition keys from Mooney.  It took 6+ weeks to get them after ordering them from a MSC, so plan accordingly if you need them.  The good news is that they both work, so I'm very happy.  

10 hours ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

PIREP.....   I finally received my two spare ignition keys from Mooney.  It took 6+ weeks to get them after ordering them from a MSC, so plan accordingly if you need them.  The good news is that they both work, so I'm very happy.  

Back in the day they could build two airplanes a day, now it takes 6 weeks to make two keys?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I carry two sets plus primary ignition key.  One set and primary (used) ignition key are clipped onto exterior of my flight bag.  Bag has headset, EFB, checklist, ice water.  I always take flight bag out of plane.  Tougher to lose a flight bag than a set of keys or key.  Other set is in my wife’s purse or my pocket (if just me).  We have a “funky” new key for door on new plane.  Need extra keys made for that...

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2018 at 7:41 PM, AGL Aviation said:

Hey guys! I wanted to make a post regarding replacement keys. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I've seen a few forums/posts by people who haven't had any luck finding replacements. If you have the number on the key CALL A MSC. For around $50 (including ground shipping) and an immediate to 3 week lead time you can have your replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I went the MSC route and had a heck of a time.  Finally found the Ebay guy and the had the keys in hand in 4 days and all worked as they should. 

D2732E2F-6385-4BA7-9776-C5E577ECFE2B.png

I keep my keys in my hangar in a nice safe spot.  I have missing set.  I am certain they hitched home in a  pants pocket, and are either still in said pocket or dropped somewhere.  So I'm using a spare set.  Like I said, if I get ambitious I might go to a locksmith and see if I can repeat my Cherokee feat.  I'll keep you posted.

• 1 year later...

What happens if you have a Medeco key with no markings? what would be the options left to getting a key duplicated? I had a Locksmith make a key for me last week and even though the cuts where the same it did not work.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:00 PM, J Bird said:

What happens if you have a Medeco key with no markings? what would be the options left to getting a key duplicated? I had a Locksmith make a key for me last week and even though the cuts where the same it did not work.

Check with your MSC…. They can match your key to your aircraft serial number…  the best and most expensive way.

Check with a locksmith that deals with Medeco… middle and mildly expensive way…

Check with Home Depot and have them copied… lowest cost, highest risk of being close but not close enough…

PP thoughts only,

-a-

• Like 1