Medeco/Janco replacement keys

Hey guys! I wanted to make a post regarding replacement keys. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I've seen a few forums/posts by people who haven't had any luck finding replacements. If you have the number on the key CALL A MSC. For around $50 (including ground shipping) and an immediate to 3 week lead time you can have your replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Latest stupid pilot trick:

Wife out of town last weekend so plan was to fly a lot. Saturday turned out to be the one day a year we get thunderstorms. Sunday AM was low IFR but forecast to improve to clear skies by 5:00 PM.  I called my daughter in Central Washington and made plans to meet for dinner at Wenatchee.  She said visibility was poor in the Columbia River valley where she works at Daroga State Park from smoke.  KEAT was reporting 10 miles visibility so I planned to depart at 3:45 PM.  Local weather improved to MVFR by 9:30 so I went to the airport and I flew two instrument approaches to KCLM, and went home to watch the Mariners complete a 4 game sweep of the Astros.  Went back to the airport for my IFR filed flight to KEAT,  Visibility now 6.  Got out of my truck and the airplane keys are nowhere to be found. Searched in the console where I usually keep them; under seats; on ground; but no keys. Drove back home to see if I left them on the kitchen counter.  No keys. Called Brenda (in San Jose) to ask where her spare set of keys were. In her purse in San Jose. I went back to the airport deciding I had to have dropped them when getting car keys out of my pocket. As I rounded the corner of that T-hangars I saw the airport mower heading down the grass strip in front of the hangars where I park. This is what I found on the ground as I pulled up. 30 seconds too late.  Ordered two new Medco ignition keys and new door/baggage lock & key sets from LASAR. The said they only come as a set.  

81811D06-330C-47DD-8B71-AB9153179C58.jpeg

• Sad 2

Latest stupid pilot trick:
Wife out of town last weekend so plan was to fly a lot. Saturday turned out to be the one day a year we get thunderstorms. Sunday AM was low IFR but forecast to improve to clear skies by 5:00 PM.  I called my daughter in Central Washington and made plans to meet for dinner at Wenatchee.  She said visibility was poor in the Columbia River valley where she works at Daroga State Park from smoke.  KEAT was reporting 10 miles visibility so I planned to depart at 3:45 PM.  Local weather improved to MVFR by 9:30 so I went to the airport and I flew two instrument approaches to KCLM, and went home to watch the Mariners complete a 4 game sweep of the Astros.  Went back to the airport for my IFR filed flight to KEAT,  Visibility now 6.  Got out of my truck and the airplane keys are nowhere to be found. Searched in the console where I usually keep them; under seats; on ground; but no keys. Drove back home to see if I left them on the kitchen counter.  No keys. Called Brenda (in San Jose) to ask where her spare set of keys were. In her purse in San Jose. I went back to the airport deciding I had to have dropped them when getting car keys out of my pocket. As I rounded the corner of that T-hangars I saw the airport mower heading down the grass strip in front of the hangars where I park. This is what I found on the ground as I pulled up. 30 seconds too late.  Ordered two new Medco ignition keys and new door/baggage lock & key sets from LASAR. The said they only come as a set.  
81811D06-330C-47DD-8B71-AB9153179C58.thumb.jpeg.043f070aaf074e24d5ad648cfdf8fc4d.jpeg

Years ago I gave up on keeping my keys on any sort of keychain. I use a neck lanyard with a quick disconnect for the ignition keys. Once I shutdown, the keys goes back on the lanyard. The lanyard approach also eliminates the other airplane key issue - the infamous “the keys are in my pocket” problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I rekeyed my baggage and pax doors to the same key as the ignition and now just have a single key again for the plane. So i keep one on the key rings for most of my cars. Grab a car and I always have a key. The idea of a hidden key makes sense too I like the magnetic hidden key holders under the car; not sure where you’d hide a key on the plane though  

-Robert

11 hours ago, laytonl said:

My spare is taped inside the Avionics bay.  Don’t tell anyone though! :)

lee

Same here. One of these on the back of the avionics access panel. 

https://securitysupplydirect.com/supplies/key-accessories/lucky-line-91401-large-pouch-key-hider.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs8P_k87x3AIVDNbACh3e6QomEAQYASABEgIITPD_BwE

Another Vintage benefit--I took my keys to the local locksmith and had several sets made, complete with color-coded heads:

• Green for go--opens the door
  • Blue for bags--opens the baggage door
  • Red for fire--ignition key

Must have been $5-$6 per set including the colored pieces. I think I have four sets . . .

9 hours ago, Hank said:

Another Vintage benefit--I took my keys to the local locksmith and had several sets made, complete with color-coded heads:

• Green for go--opens the door
  • Blue for bags--opens the baggage door
  • Red for fire--ignition key

Must have been $5-$6 per set including the colored pieces. I think I have four sets . . .

Have him sell you some cabinet cylinders and replace the door cylinders so everything uses the same key. I’m loving the single key life and it wasnt hard. 

-Robert 

• 3 weeks later...

After three weeks my spare replacement ignition keys arrived direct from Mooney (ordered from LASAR).

Packaging had correct key code number.  Drove to airport to test; neither new key would turn the ignition lock.

1st photo shows old key (that works) on right; two new keys on left (neither works).  Notice lack of shoulder at top of old key at base.

2nd photo shows old key lying on top of new key.  Subtle differences in cuts.

Next step is call to LASAR tomorrow.

Keys.JPG

Key2.JPG

On 9/4/2018 at 10:51 PM, amillet said:

After three weeks my spare replacement ignition keys arrived direct from Mooney (ordered from LASAR).

Packaging had correct key code number.  Drove to airport to test; neither new key would turn the ignition lock.

1st photo shows old key (that works) on right; two new keys on left (neither works).  Notice lack of shoulder at top of old key at base.

They used the wrong blank. The original one is a "CS" - they used an "RL".

• Like 2

The shoulders on the key are responsible for maintaining the depth the important parts are going in...and aligning.

it may be possible to pull the key out one mm at a time to try and rotate it.

Since it is a security key, expect the key blank marking to carry some meaning...

It may look right, but some detail has gone awry.  Something inside the lock is not being pushed, or is being pushed when not needing it.

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The shoulders on the key are responsible for maintaining the depth the important parts are going in...and aligning.

it may be possible to pull the key out one mm at a time to try and rotate it.

Since it is a security key, expect the key blank marking to carry some meaning...

It may look right, but some detail has gone awry.  Something inside the lock is not being pushed, or is being pushed when not needing it.

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

I tried the 1 mm at a time movement. No joy.

• Like 1

If you look vertically on the keys, you will notice that the Medeco keys are cut not only on the profile view (side view) but also on the vertical plane (precise) angles as well. Hold both keys together and look at them from the downward profile - Not that this will help you but its something to look for to see differences.

I, too, ordered replacement keys from my MSC (DMaxx) and Mooney drop-shipped them direct to me.  My keys were not a shiny brass material but more of a dull matte finish - not that that should matter, either.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my second set of replacement keys from Mooney. These work, finally.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:51 PM, amillet said:

Keys.JPG

Key2.JPG

Got my second set of replacement keys from Mooney. These work, finally.

• 5 months later...

I went to a local Mooney Service Center, spoke to the head supervisor, and he advised me that I can't order spare Medeco keys for my ignition from them.   Are there only certain MSC's that you can order these security keys from?  I thought I could order them from ANY MSC.  Obviously not.  

I went to a local Mooney Service Center, spoke to the head supervisor, and he advised me that I can't order spare Medeco keys for my ignition from them.   Are there only certain MSC's that you can order these security keys from?  I thought I could order them from ANY MSC.  Obviously not.  

Yes, you can. As a matter of fact I’m doing so right now for a customer. Get the number off of the key along with: n-number, model, and s/n of the plane. They then can contact parts at Mooney (Steve Rue) to place the order. Send me a text (828-216-5955) or email me tamara@aglaviation.com with the above information, I don’t mind to sell them to you and have them shipped right to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3