Missing Fuel Cap M20F

5 minutes ago, Marty71112 said:

Cross country from Louisiana to NC.  Didn't secure gas cap on 1970 M20F.  Safe landing minus left cap.  Any ideas where to start looking for replacement?

marty

Post the part number from the remaining one. Is it a Shaw?

Good news, Marty...

You are not the first one to lose a cap...

But, the price of new ones will be a reminder that you don’t want to do that again...

Start with what part number you have on the other one... this will be helpful.

Is it factory original?  Or added later for fuel cell upgrades?

The name of the manufacturer and model numbers is often referred to by a guy selling fluoro silicone o-rings...

The most direct / proper way to order a replacement from Mooney is order through the MSC network.

Lasar.com is pretty helpful... you could probably have one in a day or two...

Now for the CB method... we have a guy.... we have two guys...

@acpartswhse has a storage (or five) facility of parts with pre-tested histories....

Sanford may also have some in his collection... @Alan Fox

PP thoughts only... I May know these guys, but it’s been a long few moths or days since i’ve Been in contact with them.... i haven’t met the OSU supplier yet.  That phone call is on my list of things to do...

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, Marty71112 said:

Cross country from Louisiana to NC.  Didn't secure gas cap on 1970 M20F.  Safe landing minus left cap.  Any ideas where to start looking for replacement?

marty

Have someone at your departure airport check the runway, it’s likely still there.

Clarence

5 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Have someone at your departure airport check the runway, it’s likely still there.

Clarence

Yep, just last week there was a J that lost their fuel cap, I had found them a loaner off a Queen Air but they walked the runway and found the original

8 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

...there is always the spiral walking search pattern starting from the takeoff end of the runway .... will need metal detector a big gardening hat and bug spray. 

Which airport in Louisiana? 

I flew off with my left cap loose discovered it just sitting in the hole at 110 feet.  Told ATC and spiraled down to the airport below me secure it properly.  I was lucky it was still there.  Before that occurred I found a spare one on eBay and it is in the plane.  Yes I have the bladders so they are rare caps.

1 hour ago, Marty71112 said:

I have the same cap...I got them from one of the junk yards.....I forgot the names,,,maybe some others can chime in...I then sent it to the paint shop and they totally cleaned it up and painted it for my airplane.

Just noticed a bunch on eBay for under 100 bucks,

13 hours ago, Sime said:

My 76F has a chain from inside the fuel tank to the cap. Was that part of the 76's standard features, or would it have been added later on?

I think you are supposed to remove that per AD 97-26-08.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/AOCADSearch/3663F2D3749FE48286256A8F006C5ED6?OpenDocument

6 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

This is the lanyard they went to after the chain:   https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/fuel_caps_zzaccessories/lanyardms27380-3.php

10 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

Appreciate the heads-up.

I do not have a nylon lanyard in my F. Mine is a steel chain. I will check with the A&P, but I suspect that the AD had been addressed on my particular aircraft. Also, I have never experienced any erroneous fuel level readings. Lastly, I go by time intervals when I change tanks, the fuel usage I correlate with the fuel flow readings on my EDM700.

22 minutes ago, Sime said:

Appreciate the heads-up.

I do not have a nylon lanyard in my F. Mine is a steel chain. I will check with the A&P, but I suspect that the AD had been addressed on my particular aircraft. Also, I have never experienced any erroneous fuel level readings. Lastly, I go by time intervals when I change tanks, the fuel usage I correlate with the fuel flow readings on my EDM700.

Per the AD the nylon lanyard is to be removed, there is no approval to install sometime different that I am aware of.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc