Base a Mooney close to Manhattan

2 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

Should be fun landing on the 40' x 2200' grass strip with power lines at one end though.  Of course turning around once I've landed will prove to be the next challenge!

I think keeping a well stocked drawer full of clean underwear will be the challenge.....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hank said:

And here I was being polite, sending your call out to Mikey so he'd see it and be able to answer with real information.

To say nothin of my leaving out the adjective between "New York" and "City" . . . . .   ;)   Those two cab rides convinced me that place ain't for me. Not that I had any doubt before that.

As much as it would never be my cup of tea as a place to live, I love spending a few days there every now and then. If you are a foodie there are very few places like it.

10 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

Big city problems.  Hangar space is a premium here in rural KS too, as I've had my name on a couple lists since last August, but at least the prices are reasonable ($85/mo for a T-hangar).  My neighbor just sold his Bonanza and offered to rent me space his hangar (on his private strip) and match the price of the local airport, $85/mo. 

I'm pretty excited as my plane will only be a mile away from my house.  Should be fun landing on the 40' x 2200' grass strip with power lines at one end though.  Of course turning around once I've landed will prove to be the next challenge!

Did you know the Mooney turns tighter in one direction than the other, when you are on the ground...

It has something to do with the steering rods set up...

Best regards,

-a-

As for NYC... it is fun when you are young... but too expensive.

When you can afford all the added expense... it isn’t as much fun...

Broadway, restaurants, museums... once a year is good...:)

I find that my Mooney turns better to the right, so that's how I always turn around on the runway for backtaxiing. But 40' won't do it. All narrow runways that I've been to have wide areas at the end to allow swinging around. Check on yours before flying in the first time.

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

As for NYC... it is fun when you are young... but too expensive.

When you can afford all the added expense... it isn’t as much fun...

Broadway, restaurants, museums... once a year is good...:)

Says the man who lives a whole hour away . . .  ;)

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

Did you know the Mooney turns tighter in one direction than the other, when you are on the ground...

Don't want to hijack the thread, but yes, mine also turns better to the right than to the left.  

10 hours ago, Hank said:

All narrow runways that I've been to have wide areas at the end to allow swinging around. Check on yours before flying in the first time.

Nowhere is the runway wider than 40', though it narrows to 30' about a quarter of the way in from each end.  The owner regularly flew his Bonanzas in and out of there until he quit flying at 92 years young.  I'll give it a shot tonight, maybe I have to get out and push it back to make the turn. ;)

Turning radii are documented in more recent POHs...

The only time I ran into a challenge was when the edges of the runway had some pretty tall snow banks... right on the edge....

I think the rule is to line up tight on the left side and turn to the right...

it really helps to know where your mains are by a mark on the wing... right about where the fuel cap is...?

chatting while waiting for the OP to come back....  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Last off topic post for today... I made it!  The landing was easy, did a practice on our 4500' concrete runway before I went over and was stopped in 900' with just light braking.  No braking needed on the grass and still had to use power to get to the wider part of the runway.  The turnaround was the only challenging aspect, but I can confirm that my M20F will turn around in EXACTLY 40' on grass with enough right braking. B)

As carusoam said, know where your wheels are.  The outside of my tire lines up with a seam on the top of the wing well inside of the fuel cap.

• Like 1

Finding a hangar will be your biggest issue.  They’ll all be expensive. You might want to consider LDJ as your first choice and get in touch with Mike @201er.  Might want to consider places on the train line (ie 39N, HPN).  

Or ... move to Stamford, gift your wife a 10 minute commute and live closer to your airplane at BDR or DXR or HPN.  :-)

6 hours ago, bradp said:

Finding a hangar will be your biggest issue.  They’ll all be expensive. You might want to consider LDJ as your first choice and get in touch with Mike @201er.  Might want to consider places on the train line (ie 39N, HPN).  

Or ... move to Stamford, gift your wife a 10 minute commute and live closer to your airplane at BDR or DXR or HPN.  :-)

Yes, that's exactly what I am considering right now. Not the easiest one to get to from Stamford but tie-downs are relatively inexpensive and I can certainly get a hangar spot after some time. 

Would love to move closer to Stamford and be 15/20 mins away form the airfield but she is actually pushing to be in the city. I managed to get my plane, you have to choose your battles :D

Edited by xavierde
  • Like 1