Base a Mooney close to Manhattan

Good evening Mooney pilots, 

I am looking for a base for a 231 in the NYC area. Any recommendations on airfields relatively easy to reach from Manhattan?

I flew from KLDJ before but they do not have hangar available and I am worried about traffic going from NYC to NJ on Friday evenings.

Thank you !

I am looking for a base for a 231 in the NYC area. Any recommendations on airfields relatively easy to reach from Manhattan?
I flew from KLDJ before but they do not have hangar available and I am worried about traffic going from NYC to NJ on Friday evenings.
Thank you !

Check with @201er. He lives in Brooklyn and flies out of Linden. He can give you the lay of the land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

HPN, Westchester is the easiest airport to get to. Lots of trains on the metro north line stop there. There are buses & cabs, and some fbo will send a car. Don’t know the hanger situation though. I’m sure that’s a tall order. 

43 minutes ago, xavierde said:

Thank you !

There aren't any great choices. Teterboro, White Plains, Morristown, Linden, or Republic. Expensive, far, and traffic. Welcome to NYC.

• Like 1

Danbury (KDXR) and Bridgeport (KBDR) and I'm guessing Hudson Valley Regional (KPOU - Poughkeepsie) are reachable by train + Uber/Cab but not "close-in."

For PALS missions our volunteer drivers budget about 1-1.5 hrs from KHPN to Sloan Kettering which I believe is near 70th on the east side. That can help you calibrate driving times to other places as well, although I expect Google to be more helpful :)

If you can find a hangar at HPN you should expect $1200/mo or higher. None available at KBDR that I know of as off a month ago. At KDXR there are a few ranging from $500 to $750 (some shared, some T-hangar).

On Long Island, Republic (Farmingdale/KFRG) isn't that far out. No idea about hangars or tie-downs there.

Good luck!

Robert

Xavier,

Where are you living...?  (NJ)

Where are you working..?  (NYC)

This might help a bit to know...

Or are you still trying to figure out housing as well?

I’m trying to better understand your situation...

Work in NYC...

Drive to one of the airports listed here...

Fly to Home in Chicago... for the weekend and reverse it all on Monday...

Gonna need more detail...

Best regards,

-a-

Paging [mention=8223]201er[/mention] for you, Marauder. You've got to pick him off the list, not just type. 

Now you see why I made it a half hearted effort. Heck, you could have answered it for him.

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Xavier,

Where are you living...?  (NJ)

Where are you working..?  (NYC)

This might help a bit to know...

Or are you still trying to figure out housing as well?

Best regards,

-a-

We are living in Manhattan. I work in the city and my wife works in the Stamford area. I have been looking at HPN as it would be easy for me to take the train and meet her in CT on Friday night and take a cab/uber from her office to the airfield.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xavierde said:

We are living in Manhattan. I work in the city and my wife works in the Stamford area. I have been looking at HPN as it would be easy for me to take the train and meet her in CT on Friday night and take a cab/uber from her office to the airfield.  

I live in North Stamford and it's 45 min to KDXR, 35 min to KBDR, 30 min to KHPN. KHPN might be easiest to reach, but it is also quite busy with airline and corporate jet traffic, so you will lose some time taxiing and waiting there compared to the other airports :(

2 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Do you have a good plane cover?

Want a good recomendation?

Which Mooney do you have?

Best regards,

-a-

No plane cover, always hangared. 

That would be great, although hangar would be my definite preference.

It's a 231 with LB engine, sitting in France for now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Now you see why I made it a half hearted effort. Heck, you could have answered it for him.

"I could have answered it for him"??? What I know about NYC could be written inside a matchbook with a grease pencil. Although last summer, I did take the airlines into LaGuardia and out of Kennedy, with non-terrifying cab rides over to the cruise ship pier. Why bkth airports? Ask Delta and the cruise line, the reservations were made for me . . .

NYC ain't my style. Ask me about flying where you can file and receive Direct to Destination, and I can probably help. Where to base a plane around NYC? No freakin' idea . . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, xavierde said:

On another note, any recommendations for a Mooney instructor in the area would be really helpful.

Thank you all for the very helpful replies.

Check the back pages of the Mooney Flyer (www.themooneyflyer.com). Or find the New Jersey Mooney Pilots on facebook; they're not all from or in NJ, and seem to be a fairly active group.

"I could have answered it for him"??? What I know about NYC could be written inside a matchbook with a grease pencil. Although last summer, I did take the airlines into LaGuardia and out of Kennedy, with non-terrifying cab rides over to the cruise ship pier. Why bkth airports? Ask Delta and the cruise line, the reservations were made for me . . .
NYC ain't my style. Ask me about flying where you can file and receive Direct to Destination, and I can probably help. Where to base a plane around NYC? No freakin' idea . . . .

You sound just like his answer. You sure you don’t want it answer it? You sound just like a New Yorker. “What’s a matter for you?”
  • Haha 1

And here I was being polite, sending your call out to Mikey so he'd see it and be able to answer with real information.

To say nothin of my leaving out the adjective between "New York" and "City" . . . . .   ;)   Those two cab rides convinced me that place ain't for me. Not that I had any doubt before that.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Xavier,

What kind of training are you looking for?

One of the MAPA trainer/CFII is a long time Member of MS and the Mooney CFII community...

I can invite him to the conversation if you would like or send you his contact info to get the com started...

Best regards,

-a-

I base in Caldwell CDW many months of the year...they have great security but you will have to deal with the Trump TFR.  HPN and further may be out of it.

Keeping it outside sucks though and they charge about 275 a month for that......

There is a MSC on the field and the MSC guys at Robbinsville are not to far away.  Airmods has even come to pick up and drop off my plane at times.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Xavier,

What kind of training are you looking for?

One of the MAPA trainer/CFII is a long time Member of MS and the Mooney CFII community...

I can invite him to the conversation if you would like or send you his contact info to get the com started...

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you. It would be great if you could send over his contact details. 

Many thanks,

15 hours ago, Marauder said:

Check with @201er. He lives in Brooklyn and flies out of Linden. He can give you the lay of the land.

.... and if you have any questions about your parrot... he is your man!

• Like 1

Big city problems.  Hangar space is a premium here in rural KS too, as I've had my name on a couple lists since last August, but at least the prices are reasonable ($85/mo for a T-hangar).  My neighbor just sold his Bonanza and offered to rent me space his hangar (on his private strip) and match the price of the local airport, $85/mo. 

I'm pretty excited as my plane will only be a mile away from my house.  Should be fun landing on the 40' x 2200' grass strip with power lines at one end though.  Of course turning around once I've landed will prove to be the next challenge!