Kelly Aerospace Rebuilt Mags

I ran one of my Slicks through Kelly in Montgomery since it was close, and was running very rough. Worked well on reinstall, and lasted from ~August until March, when it died enroute to central NC at 9500 msl. When taken apart, the condenser wire had been sawn in half by the large plastic gear (i.e., improper assembly by Kelly). Being the left mag, it wouldn't start, but if I let the starter go for 10-15 seconds she would fire right up as soon as I let go of the key. The shop in NC sent it to Oklahoma for repair, and it ran good on the flight home, 3 hours, to my fuel stop 10nm away. Leaving there, the left mag had ~200 RPM drop. Had to send it back two more times to get it right . . . .

I don't need this kind of drama in my life . . . .

During all of this, I replaced all of my plugs and the ignition harness, and changed antiseize from copper-based to graphite-based. Got all of that finished up at the end of July, she's been running great since.

I have Slicks on a C-172, RH mag is pushing 1400hrs, LH is at 970ish. Both mags had the points and condensers replaced 375hrs ago, RH mag had the distributor block replaced (damaged during maintenance). I also know of a Cherokee 140 with over 2000hrs on his slicks, and he recently replaced the points & condensers...... That's my experience