300Xl TSO and S-tec 30 w/Alt&GPSS

Brad1998

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

The STECs are solid autopilots. I have owned mine since 1998. If they had any issue, it was due to the VOR system. They built in a “soft” mode to help eliminate the VOR swag that you might see. When coupled to GPSS, it is just rock solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wow! Glad to hear!

19 hours ago, Brad1998 said:

I looking at a 1975 Mooney M20F with a GNC 300XL TSO coulped to a S-tec 30 w/Atl & GPSS stearing. I'm wondering just how capable is a setup like this for IFR flying? Is it a decent setup or to be flying IFR would it need upgraded? Thanks.

display-asset (6).jpg

display-asset (7).jpg

Look familiar? These pictures were around 1999. By then I had upgraded one of the KX-170Bs to a TKM/Michel slide in replacement and installed a Narco Mark 12D+ to replace the other one. I also replaced the failing KT-76 with a Narco AT-150 (almost got caught by the Mode S requirement back then). A few years earlier and one of the first things I added was a GEM engine monitor, a EI 5P-L fuel totalizer and a Davtron digital clock. This setup was fine for IFR until some of the VOR approaches started going away and I did the GPS upgrade.

Cockpit3.thumb.jpg.636217910cdd459b58c7111c2720f97e.jpg

1434549513_CockpitFarRight.thumb.jpg.339f2a4ef26ff48f8fcbf61a70a3d879.jpg

The yokes on the 75F are subject to an AD for dye checking for cracks. You can eliminate this by upgrading to the J style yokes and shafts. I did the upgrade mainly to allow me to have autopilot controls in a comfortable position on the yokes. The "Mongo" yokes are great for flying in bumpy skies. Really something meaty to hang onto. 

Just now, Brad1998 said:

The yoke upgrade, is that something that I can do myself? 

You will need to have it signed off by an IA. Back in 1997 I was able to buy the complete kit from Mooney that included the shafts, yokes, mounting hardware and about 20 lbs. of blueprints. No issue with my IA doing the upgrade. Considering Mooney is still selling parts, it might be possible to get them to sell you a kit. I liked the Mongo yokes but adding buttons and electric trim was a challenge. Can't tell from the pictures you posted but they may have used the center strut of the yoke to locate any switches. With the PC system gone, the "trigger" on the pilot's side yoke was probably removed and filled with something (it would be on the left side of the yoke).

10 minutes ago, Brad1998 said:

That's the only panel photos I have, in any case this can be done down the road. Thanks though!

There are 5 or 6 1975/1976 F owners on the site. If you do end up with this plane, plenty of expertise to help you with questions.

• Thanks 1

Up until a few weeks ago I flew with a GNC 300XL for 12 years.  It is not upgradeable to WAAS and is not supported by Garmin anymore.  The databases are still available from Jeppesen but have gotten large enough that the downloads are split into 2 (Eastern US and Western US) so I have multiple data cards for it.  I am actually keeping it in my panel as a second radio after the upgrade that I am currently doing.  It is a good GPS and you can fly the LNAV approaches with it which usually gets you down to 400 to 500 feet AGL.  It is relatively easy to use as well.  Coupled with an auto pilot it should serve you well.  If ever I needed a lower approach I would fly into an airport with an ILS.  In  Texas, that is not very often.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

video of my STEC 30 holding altitude the other day on way to Key West from Daytona.

There is a powered off stratus there just in case.  This was my first real trip with the Garmin magic and I do not trust it yet.

IMG_8556.mov

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to KY on Wed to take a look at N6924V