M20K windshield replacement

Hi folks,

The crazing in my windshield continues to get worse and I need to plan for a replacement.

It has the 1/4" glass installed in 1995. Side window are 1/4" also, but are surprisingly fine.

My current shop, who is fantastic, hasn't done one in 20 years.

Any sense on what the labour hours should be? Is this disruptive or likely to cause collateral damage?  It seems that most things I 'fix' these days end up causing several other things to be repaired or replaced due to the act of repairing the first item.

I have tried the Novus 1,2,3 system, but without much effect. I am hesitant about trying anything more aggressive, but am open to suggestions...

Thanks,

iain

Rivets come out.

sheet metal removed.

Windshields swapped out/in.

Rivets replaced.

paint touched up.

Some thick windows need to be milled around the edge.... for fit...

search around MS for what the process looks like...  Byron probably has some pics... as do a few others...

PP thoughts only. Not a mechanic. Never changed a windshield yet...

Best regards,

-a-

Hi iain,

I did it in my M20K. The windshield price is minor compared to labor. I stayed as the sam thickness I had in but went up on UV protection. The estimate of the shop were 30 hours. 10 hours seems a bit optimistic. I asked several shops and got roughly the same answers (around 30 hours). If you go for a thicker model you need to add approximately 10 hours.

I will get it back next week and I can tell you exactly how much.

Hendrik 

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_6524.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_2521 2.JPG

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_1143.JPG

IMG_8762.jpeg

• Like 2

I wouldn’t touch it at 10 hours, 30 plus is more likely.  

When drilling out the rivets you may well end up removing what ever avionics and other equipment behind the instrument panel to collect old review tails, and to be able to buck the new rivets.  

The lower retainer may not come off easily, especially if the job has been done before and has been glued on with sealant.  If damaged a new one may be required.

Clarence

Thanks Hendrik.

Much more invasive than I thought. Forward headliner out; All forward plastics out; glareshield out;  New windshield trim perhaps; paint. Hope to not damage anything else....

I will coordinate this with other work so I can maximize the disassembly labour.

iain

2 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I wouldn’t touch it at 10 hours, 30 plus is more likely.  

When drilling out the rivets you may well end up removing what ever avionics and other equipment behind the instrument panel to collect old review tails, and to be able to buck the new rivets.  

The lower retainer may not come off easily, especially if the job has been done before and has been glued on with sealant.  If damaged a new one may be required.

Clarence

Thanks Clarence.

I am assuming that a new retainer will be required. The upgrades that were done in the 1990s seem to have been a little hamfisted, so I am assuming the worst.

Considering that labour, parts and paint, this looks like a $5500CDN piece of work to me.

Maybe I'll try a little more polishing.

9 minutes ago, milotron said:

Thanks Clarence.

I am assuming that a new retainer will be required. The upgrades that were done in the 1990s seem to have been a little hamfisted, so I am assuming the worst.

Considering that labour, parts and paint, this looks like a $5500CDN piece of work to me.

Maybe I'll try a little more polishing.

With a 1/4” windshield installed, I would try a micro mesh kit from Spruce.

Clarence

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Rob G said:

Where in Western Canada did you get your windshield replaced? as I have 83 m20K 231 need to replace it windshield as well

Try Victoria Air Maintenance (250-656-7600) at CYYJ on Vancouver Island. They completely rebuild aircraft. I have recent experience with them and they were very responsive and did superb work. They built the skin piece we needed and matched the paint exactly.