To buy or not to buy? Rocket 305 TSI-520-NB

Anyone know where I can buy the 1piece belly pan & pedal extension for my short little legs.. open to any other must haves whilst she’s at the shop ;)

The reason I’ve opted away from the Garmin 500txi & Jpi900 was to save cutting a new panel and the difference in list price. Am I making a mistake? 

Edited by RedSkyFlyer

16 minutes ago, RedSkyFlyer said:

Anyone know where I can buy the 1piece belly pan & pedal extension for my short little legs.. open to any other must haves whilst she’s at the shop ;)

The reason I’ve opted away from the Garmin 500txi & Jpi900 was to save cutting a new panel and the difference in list price. Am I making a mistake? 

There are several on this board that can speak of this avionics question, but I would invite @LANCECASPER and @gsxrpilot to the party for their input. 

• Like 1

1) All things regarding pedal extensions are available through using the search function... or order through your local MSC... or Lasar.com.

2) One piece belly, very expensive for what you get...but if you have a gear up landing and replacing things, they are good. Don’t know if they are in production any longer... Bill Wheat had made them for sale I believe...

3) cutting a new panel costs a few hundred bucks... that wouldn’t get in my way of adding a JPI or TXi...  better to have the good data and an ugly panel...

4) Adding a JPI for the best price got mentioned a few times by @Jeev... seasonal timing for the best rebates may be required...

5) Adding a G500txi That is costly compared to these other trinkets....

Some stuff is often held off to get past that first annual... But that is more of a personal economics discussion, and how committed you are to aviation....

Some first annuals can be a bear... much depends on the bird, it’s history, and the quality of the PPI....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

There was an airplane locally that landed gear up about a dozen years ago that really proves a point.  It was a small twin with a CFI and a CFI-DPE (with 14,000 hrs) on in the front seats - is the take away that those guys were dummies?  No the take away is not that they are dummies and I am not a dummy so I am safe from such stupidity.  No - the take away is if they could do it then anyone can do it - including me - so it is surely a lot of work every time to make sure I don't do it.  Knock on wood and stay vigilant.

• Like 4

As I understand it, you're putting a new or newly overhauled engine on this airplane? The M20K 231 variants are known to be hard on engines. Turbo's are hard on engines. And the 231 requires more manual engine management than any of the turbo versions. Finally, as you already know, the engine is the most expensive piece of your airplane. 

Therefore it only makes sense to protect that investment. And in my opinion, the best way to protect your engine is to have a reliable and accurate, data logging, engine monitor. And of course, know how to read it and use it.

The EDM-900 is the cheapest way to bring all of your engine instrumentation into the modern era at one time. The EI CGR-30P is another good option but without the fuel gauges. I'm convinced that having an EDM-900 in my M20K 252 has allowed me to manage my engine to 1500 hours on all original cylinders. At the same time I get better range on account of accurate LOP operations and perfectly accurate fuel data. Longer flights with fewer take offs and landings contributes to the longer life of all components from airframe to engine to turbo.

The EDM-900 also saves hours of maintenance by easily and accurately diagnosing engine issues without hours of troubleshooting and needlessly purchased parts. 

Finally, the EDM-900 can be installed without recutting your panel. It will slot into a standard 3.5" hole with a little overhang to the side or top. It can be oriented either horizontal or vertical. I can't think of any optional purchase more useful, valuable, or beneficial than a good engine monitor. And that goes double if you fly a turbo.

Of all the instruments/gauges in my panel, the engine monitor gets the bulk of my attention during flight. And second place isn't even close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

As I understand it, you're putting a new or newly overhauled engine on this airplane? The M20K 231 variants are known to be hard on engines. Turbo's are hard on engines. And the 231 requires more manual engine management than any of the turbo versions. Finally, as you already know, the engine is the most expensive piece of your airplane. 

Therefore it only makes sense to protect that investment. And in my opinion, the best way to protect your engine is to have a reliable and accurate, data logging, engine monitor. And of course, know how to read it and use it.

This advice is spot on.  I'm always amazed when I see a 231's or 252's for sale with a nice avionics and a fresh engine, yet no engine monitor.  

I would install the 900 with the engine as well as a Meryln and intercooler if you don't already have them.  These things should be at the top of the upgrade list.

Congratulations on the 231.  They are fantastic airplanes.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 3

On 1/4/2019 at 6:17 PM, carusoam said:

1) All things regarding pedal extensions are available through using the search function... or order through your local MSC... or Lasar.com.

2) One piece belly, very expensive for what you get...but if you have a gear up landing and replacing things, they are good. Don’t know if they are in production any longer... Bill Wheat had made them for sale I believe...

3) cutting a new panel costs a few hundred bucks... that wouldn’t get in my way of adding a JPI or TXi...  better to have the good data and an ugly panel...

4) Adding a JPI for the best price got mentioned a few times by @Jeev... seasonal timing for the best rebates may be required...

5) Adding a G500txi That is costly compared to these other trinkets....

Some stuff is often held off to get past that first annual... But that is more of a personal economics discussion, and how committed you are to aviation....

Some first annuals can be a bear... much depends on the bird, it’s history, and the quality of the PPI....

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for the mention!  Since you don't want to cut a new panel I would definitely go with the EDM 900.  Prices are great now with the rebates through the end of this month, I have shipped a few units to France and even with the shipping I was able to beat the local prices.  If you are interested PM or Email me, thanks!  sanjeev@wolfaviationsales.com

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RedSkyFlyer said:

Anyone know about EASA STC for the Precise Speed Brakes, Merlyn wastegate & Turboplus  intercooler for the 231....

@jeff-Shapiro/

KR Steve

Steve. The Forum is in full agreement. You will need the 900 if you desire a healthy engine. You will add the intercooler and waste gate if you desire optimum engine performance for the model. Speed brakes are secondary to all others. If the plane is down for an engine now, keep it down to add the engine goodies!! Money well spent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedSkyFlyer said:

@Mcstealth 100% taken on board. 900 already on order ;)

The three mods are on (Wastegate,Intercooler & Speedbrakes) back order but I need to sort out the certification 8130 FAA/EASA equivalent before anything gets fitted....

We'll, that was easy spending someone else's money. :):)

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two items that stuck out to me in all my research and bouncing ideas of my more experienced flyer friends, especially my airline piltot friends which rejected any plane without ice protections,  were #1 total Ice protection and #2 ability to get above the weather, ie, get to 25k' in cavu.  A rocket/bravo with tks or a better plane.

(edited to way, oh jeez, how many times have I been stuck at 14k praying for no more ice on my e's thin little wing and winded 200hp lyc? Probably only 90 hp at that alt, Is that pathetic or what...90 hp? oh jeez is my life only worth 90hp?  Thank god for my 4x turbo 700hp aerostar...700hp at any altitude including 20k')

Edited by Herlihy Brother

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

John,

Your Aerostar lists a pair of 310hp turbo lycomings...

where does the 700hp come from?

I’d like to share your enthusiasm, and your gas card! :)

Best regards,

-a-

It may be a 700 superstar with Machen mods...they up the HP to 350 per side.  GREAT airplane!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 11:25 AM, FloridaMan said:

Go with Imron paint if you can get it. One of my Mooneys was painted with it in 1994 and it still looks brand new. I also second the recommendation of the JPI EDM900. However, make sure you mount it close enough to the main panel to not require the remote light. The reason is that there's a decent likelihood that occasionally you'll have something touch redline and if you have the remote light connected, you get a blinking yellow or red "ENGINE" light and will have to be distracted to look at the monitor. For instance, if you take off with max power at whatever your engine redline is (2700RPM for most engines), that light will blink constantly until you clear the error on the JPI even though 2700 RPM is perfectly fine. If the monitor is in front of you, you're not required to have the blinky light. You'll see the numbers turn red, but that's not nearly as distracting and you can interpret the numbers instead of becoming complacent or distracted by any redline value. 

Finally I understand what you mean about the flashing light! Loving the new AC! 

On 1/4/2019 at 1:24 PM, StevenL757 said:

+1 for the EDM 900 or even 930.  Ditch the 730...you’re taking up panel space with extra engine instrumentation you don’t need, as the 900 and 930 are Primary.

Also, why not consider the G500TXi over the Aspen?  Far more real estate and an exceptionally-performing piece of kit.

Congrats on the purchase.

Steve

Went for the JPI900 thanks for the recommendation, don’t regret it! Holding out in the PFD, heard roomers that the G3x maybe coming to Europe....? 

• Like 1