To buy or not to buy? Rocket 305 TSI-520-NB

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

It’s been a while since anyone landed an American built plane at the kremlin... 

1987 was an active year...

:)

-a-

I don't know about that.  I believe Bob W. from Lancair mentioned at one of our banquets several years ago he was taking his dad with him on a sales trip to Russia in the Evolution.  @orionflt might know something about that.

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I don't know about that.  I believe Bob W. from Lancair mentioned at one of our banquets several years ago he was taking his dad with him on a sales trip to Russia in the Evolution.  @orionflt might know something about that.

Tom

He did, National Geo filmed it but I'm not sure if it aired. they had Pete Zaccinnio fly it back with another pilot. the airplane had like 8 cameras on it.

Brian

• Like 1

What do you guys think of this one as a shell & trainer? 

http://www.pilotweb.aero/classifieds/1987-mooney-m20j-1-5441729

@Hyett6420 The hangars at Fairoaks are completely full up with a waiting list backlog 12months+ I think I may have a spot at Denham,  any thoughts? Also would you know the implications of owning an N reg here in the UK?

2 hours ago, RedSkyFlyer said:

What do you guys think of this one as a shell & trainer? 

http://www.pilotweb.aero/classifieds/1987-mooney-m20j-1-5441729

@Hyett6420 The hangars at Fairoaks are completely full up with a waiting list backlog 12months+ I think I may have a spot at Denham,  any thoughts? Also would you know the implications of owning an N reg here in the UK?

Looks nice to me!

I am currently transitioning from an M20E to eclipse jet. Just commit to putting in several training hours( maybe even hundreds) with an instructor until you both feel safe and it is not going to be an issue. 

On 5/22/2018 at 10:44 PM, JoshMan said:

I am currently transitioning from an M20E to eclipse jet. Just commit to putting in several training hours( maybe even hundreds) with an instructor until you both feel safe and it is not going to be an issue. 

Josh,

You’re gonna need to supply some detail to follow up on that transition experience. M20E to Eclipse Jet?

Way to go! :)

Best regards,

-a-

19 hours ago, carusoam said:

Josh,

You’re gonna need to supply some detail to follow up on that transition experience. M20E to Eclipse Jet?

Way to go! :)

Best regards,

-a-

I definitely will give you some updates as i progress. My checkride is september 19th. 

• Like 1

@Hyett6420 

Shes on at 50k, seems like a fair price? Budget 80 bags for the project and she’d be as good as new, would come in the same price as the rocket but I get a shiner new plane and an increased life expectancy ;) 

Following in your beaten path, do you think she would make a nice project? I have until the wedding to get her ready, 270719, do you think it’s realistic? 

Open to other options....

Edited by RedSkyFlyer

• 1 month later...

Hey Team, 

What does everyone think about this one? Seems like a nice example of the J but high TT & Engine Time, atleast its been used? Interested in peoples POV.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/26882419/1990-mooney-m20j-mse?dlr=1&pcid=1356355&if=1

Ta Steve

52 minutes ago, RedSkyFlyer said:

What does everyone think about this one? Seems like a nice example of the J but high TT & Engine Time, atleast its been used? Interested in peoples POV.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/26882419/1990-mooney-m20j-mse?dlr=1&pcid=1356355&if=1

It is in France.

Less than an hours flight from the UK! ;) Wouldn’t cost much to get it back and re registered.
 My question is more regarding the model, age, hours & potential she holds? I.e Would she make a good shell?

The difference in price between this and the Rocket I was looking at is quite considerable,  @82Mike  I’m copying your list of upgrades, this would be the dream.

1)All new panel (Aspen 2500, Garmin 750, JPI 900, Garmin G5, remote Garmin GTX 345 transponder, PS Audiio panel, FS510 & custom cut panel) 

2) GFC 500 AP.

3) Speed brakes

4) Landing gear donuts (Extra compression for extra clearance?)

5) New glass all around 

6) Single piece belly panel

7) Zéro timed engine 

8) New 3 blade prop 

9) Gami injectors

10) Power flow exhaust

11) Led lighting all around

EE53C9D9-5AC6-495E-B9A2-042480F979D4.jpeg

69FC3A64-CBBD-4893-84F3-64EE6E4321E7.jpeg

If you get this one, I would suggest the following changes to your list above:

1. Engine monitor - EDM 900 or 930 since you are going to cut a new panel.
  2. Hold off on the GAMI's until you see how the stock injectors run. The IO-360 usually runs fairly well with stock injectors, but the engine monitor (see above) data loaded into Savvyanalysis.com with a GAMI spread analysis will give you information to use in making that decision.
  3. Consider the L-3 Lynx transponder. Specifically the NGT R9000+ (or is it 9000+R?). Remote mount, ADS-B In/Out with Skywatch circuitry to show those planes not squawking ADS-B Out. Can display on the equipment you identified in your list.
  4. Check the dates on the pucks before changing them out unless you just really want to spend the extra money. Mid-body Mooneys are not as hard on them as long bodies, and it is rather easy when the plane is jacked up off the ground to tell their condition. Also, there will be a log book entry for their last change, and the manufacture date should be stamped on all of them.
  5. Flush mount all of the new avionics in the new panel. Just looks better.

11 hours ago, RedSkyFlyer said:

Hey Team, 

Ta Steve

4400TTAF is nothing and the engine at 1300 isn't bad either if it's been seeing 50-100 hrs/yr. When was the engine overhauled and how many hours/yr was it flown? I believe that your risk of a catastrophic engine failure is higher on a new/rebuilt low time engine than it is on one with higher time that has proven itself. Keep that in mind. That plane looks well cared for considering the years on the paint and the panel is fine, except for the lack of engine monitor. I know there are a lot of Europeans who like to put lots of gadgets in their planes and sit and look at them, rather than fly (that's not a dig at you, but rather, seeing a plane that gets some use). 

• 5 months later...

For those that are interested in the original chain, I didn’t go for the 252 Rocket in the end....

I did however buy this little dream machine, after a prop strike the owner wanted to dispose, although it was kept outside in sunny Britain it was a steal at a quarter of the price. Ok its missing an engine and prop but so what? Zero timed engine on order and should be back in the AC end of the month =D 

pipeline 2019:

painT & interior

garmin 750

aspen 1500

jpi 730

345 audio panel

speedbrakes- already in order from Preciseflight (currently 15% off everything  on their website...) 

Question: If you can see the photos, the clear coating on the wing is peeling, anyone know a quick fix? It’s only viable on the top side, could it be taken back to just the paint? Seems like the actual paint is in good nick underneath.

thanks, Steve  

12508410-DAF6-4E1E-9164-6292B69CFAFA.jpeg

831DA881-206E-4808-9DDE-7122F0208919.jpeg

D4B2A6E2-7D49-464B-832A-33E887A1CAA2.jpeg

ADC3EB45-D66C-4042-B01E-8D72DD051044.jpeg

3F2EE6A2-7705-4600-9E34-51C2C912D0E5.jpeg

871CDAD8-2972-4F22-BF6A-EDAC293367B5.jpeg

732FDD62-44A3-47F1-8CDC-153E4AD34772.jpeg

7C0636E9-51E9-49BB-BCB6-C4CEF9C00152.jpeg

• Like 2

Red sky,

when you get a chance... can you add a location to your avatar?

UV light and clear coat paint don’t mix very well for the long term... when stored outside...

If she gets stored indoors, it may make sense to try and repair it...  

Expect the cost to repair to approach the cost to strip and repaint... large areas...

Consider going to the next level up on the engine monitor.  The JPI900 has a couple of advantages for being primary qualified...

MS has a few people with paint experience....

Congrats and best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Go with Imron paint if you can get it. One of my Mooneys was painted with it in 1994 and it still looks brand new. I also second the recommendation of the JPI EDM900. However, make sure you mount it close enough to the main panel to not require the remote light. The reason is that there's a decent likelihood that occasionally you'll have something touch redline and if you have the remote light connected, you get a blinking yellow or red "ENGINE" light and will have to be distracted to look at the monitor. For instance, if you take off with max power at whatever your engine redline is (2700RPM for most engines), that light will blink constantly until you clear the error on the JPI even though 2700 RPM is perfectly fine. If the monitor is in front of you, you're not required to have the blinky light. You'll see the numbers turn red, but that's not nearly as distracting and you can interpret the numbers instead of becoming complacent or distracted by any redline value. 

• Like 1

+1 for the EDM 900 or even 930.  Ditch the 730...you’re taking up panel space with extra engine instrumentation you don’t need, as the 900 and 930 are Primary.

Also, why not consider the G500TXi over the Aspen?  Far more real estate and an exceptionally-performing piece of kit.

Congrats on the purchase.

Steve

29 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

How do you gear up an airplane with gear warning on the throttle and a radar altimeter with another alarm?

Tom

Hard to understand unless you happen to be in a situation that takes all of your attention, and your brain filters set in to avoid information overload. A thrilling example is the TB20 gear up at Megeve altiport with an instructor on the rhs - the alarm is on until touch down:

John

41 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

How do you gear up an airplane with gear warning on the throttle and a radar altimeter with another alarm?

Tom

Easy.  Something distracts your flow, you get focused on something else (like other traffic), and the next thing you know you have a gear up.   Lots of videos with the gear warning horn blaring and the pilot selectively not hearing it due to task load.

13 hours ago, RedSkyFlyer said:

For those that are interested in the original chain, I didn’t go for the 252 Rocket in the end....

I did however buy this little dream machine, after a prop strike the owner wanted to dispose, although it was kept outside in sunny Britain it was a steal at a quarter of the price. Ok its missing an engine and prop but so what? Zero timed engine on order and should be back in the AC end of the month =D 

Nice bird, congratulations! You‘ll know for sure that the engine is good;) Worth the effort. 

John