second alternator in M20K -field approval

I'm close to get a second alternator in my M20K after the vacuum system was removed.

Does anyone else have done it in a M20K already? What is a good solution for the switch of the second alternator? It needs to be close to the primary alternator switch to handle it with one hand. Is a splittet Klickson rocker switch a good solution?

Thanks Hendrik

IMG_8493.jpg

Hendrik,

Look for the double switch... two switches that occupy the same space as the single switch...

I don’t remember who posted it, where or when....

The same manufacturer also has the double switches used for pairs of landing lights and pairs of taxi lights....

Best regards,

-a-

Expect that the Mooney factory/MSC can make a recomendation for this switch.  Their latest birds come with two alternators...

Send a request over to Dan at Lasar, He might even have the parts in stock....

The latest birds have really nicely updated buss bar layouts for primary vs. Emergency operations...

The maintenance manual /parts manual might be good at defining some good ideas....

PP thoughts only.  Going all electric has options that are different/better in a few ways....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Emmet said:

Do you have that installed in a 231?

Emmet, if you are asking me, yes this is a 1981 231 but with the Mod Works 262 upgrades with the TSIO360MB engine from the 252 that has the dual 14V alternators. With this and the TKS it is fairly unusual.

3 minutes ago, milotron said:

Emmet, if you are asking me, yes this is a 1981 231 but with the Mod Works 262 upgrades with the TSIO360MB engine from the 252 that has the dual 14V alternators. With this and the TKS it is fairly unusual.

Nop - I was interested if he found a way on a stock 231. But thanks for your answer anyway :-)

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Expect that the Mooney factory/MSC can make a recomendation for this switch.  Their latest birds come with two alternators...

Send a request over to Dan at Lasar, He might even have the parts in stock....

The latest birds have really nicely updated buss bar layouts for primary vs. Emergency operations...

The maintenance manual /parts manual might be good at defining some good ideas....

PP thoughts only.  Going all electric has options that are different/better in a few ways....

Best regards,

-a-

As Anthony said, try LASAR as well as your IPC for part numbers since most 252's included the option for dual 28V alternators which included the dual red field switch shown above as well as added circuit breaker for the second alt field, an Over Voltage light next to the added CB, and a dual load meter to monitor each alternators output. They mostly used duplicate identical voltage regulators too, although their was a single integrated voltage regulator option that came out but just for the 28V 252's/Encore's. Of course not all of these will work for your 14V installation but it will gives you the details of how the system was setup and installed. 

• Like 2