CO2 cartridge life vest or raft

L. Trotter

It seems CO2 cartridges are considered "Hazardous Material" according to the US Government. There are conflicting reports as to wether commercial carriers will allow CO2 cartridges on their aircraft.

I am looking at life preservers to use on trips over water (Bahamas, great lakes). Here is an example:   

https://www.amazon.com/ABSOLUTE-OUTDOOR-Automatic-Manual-Inflatable/dp/B0032ALK36/ref=pd_sbs_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0032ALK36&pd_rd_r=CT6ER7DG38SRT2925QC7&pd_rd_w=sILMm&pd_rd_wg=p9NW4&psc=1&refRID=CT6ER7DG38SRT2925QC7

image.png.f824c4f0901e20ff98f76fd78266541e.png

Questions.....1. Are the CO2 cartridges safe to carry in an unpressurized cabin up to FL 250?      2. Any one with a favorite life preserver that is comfortable, can be worn in flight and is US Coast Guard approved?

Here's what I have. Bulkier that the Onyx, but the Mustang brand was recommended by a USCG friend.

https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Survival-M-I-T-Activation-Fluorescent/dp/B00P0DVUK6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526096544&sr=8-4&keywords=mustang+life+jacket#customerReviews

As for the question about altitude, I don't have an authoritative answer for you. CO2 cartridges are pretty stout though, and I have no reservations about taking them to altitude.

Cheers,
Rick

LT,

COCanisters are pretty well over built to contain the high pressure held inside. The pressure on the outside is tiny in comparison...

If you have any fear, make sure you can inflate it by blowing into the tube.... keep the cylinder at home until you get a satisfying answer..l

Have you been on commercial airplanes where the flight attendant demonstrates the use of the life jacket?  And recommends you operate once you have left the plane...

Thet have the same canisters in them...

Now for the govt and unsafe things...

I think you may be confusing the reasons why you can’t bring propellants on the plane... compressed gas can be used to power pellet guns... and other weird behavior in planes...

In a similar fashion, you can’t bring water on the plane, but they have plenty of  water on the plane already...

As for the question of jackets & rafts...  Cold weather demands being out of the water...  long distances and hours long rescue periods... require rafts....

Flying over water in warm weather short of gliding distance... life jackets are a must...

I’m sure there is technical guidance for this...  going to the Bahamas... people rent the raft...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

From the FAA travel safe site

Small compressed gas cylinders and cartridges in or with a device

Carbon dioxide (CO2) and other nonflammable, nontoxic gases 

Quantity limit: Up to four cartridges/cylinders containing nonflammable gas may be carried. Each cylinder must not exceed 50 ml (equivalent to 28 g carbon dioxide cartridge).

May be carried in checked baggage only.* Airline approval is required.

• Like 1

We are talking about the same co2 cartridges used for the Life Jackets under the seat in the big plane, the life jackets you are asking about, the ones used to fill bike tires, and the ones used to power bb guns.

I have had friends forget the cartridges in their bike bag and get them pulled.  And then the nicely packed bike frame get thrown back into the case.  

For years I have told bike friends to go to wally world and buy the Daisy 25 pack for their bike needs.  Way cheaper than the bike shop.   For years I have used the Daisy cartridges to fix flats on the side of the road.  Which means for years they have banged around in a bike bag.

They are very durable and would not have an issue with them at altitude.   SWA 1380 did not have all the life jackets go off when it depressurized at 34K feet.

There were a fair amount of Co2 cartridges at the TSA surrendered stuff store.  so Non checked bag they will take them from you.

I have always used the cheapest CO2 cartridges for my bike. It astounds my how some people insist on buying the $5 cartridges. They seem to think that they have better CO2 or something. They think their bikes deserve better than that. Those are the same people who take their bikes to the shop to get the chain oiled.

Why don't  you take the cartridges out and buy new ones after you land? I always enjoy shopping for stuff like that in foreign lands. You get to see how the locals get by.