Oshkosh 2018 - Who's going?

gsxrpilot

Oshkosh 2018 - Who's going?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. I'll be at Oshkosh 2018

2. 2. Transportation

• Flying with the Mooney Caravan
    • Flying the Fisk Arrival
    • Flying to somewhere close and then driving.
    • Driving
  3. 3. Lodging

• Camping with the Mooney Caravan
    • Camping but not with the Caravan
    • Hotel or other off site accomodations

18 hours ago, Stephen said:

I think I'll save some of the "new's" for next time and plan Caravan and camping for next year. Just want to create a good time for the wife for her first experience. Looks like a very doable flight. KHAE to KATW at 2:07 and 302nm. Planing right now to leave after my wife gets off work (actually probably leave from KUIN; wife "Shawn"  is a Doc and has clinic coverage in Quincy, IL) Thursday 7/22 and fly to For Du Lac or Appleton or Green Bay based on hotel/rental. Would love to connect with as many as possible at OSH, sounds like a blast and a half!

You will find that most all accommodations in and near Oshkosh are now taken or overly expensive.  I have flown to Appleton twice and rented a car there successfully.  Both times I stayed in Green Bay for about $100/night or less in a nice hotel.  The drive is about 45 minutes if you select the hotel right.

I may fly into Whitman Field this time, but I will try to arrive Sat or very early Sun before the "Bees Nest" effect fully forms.  

I am a physician as well (Internist in Boston/Providence).  Perhaps we could meet and discuss both airplanes and medicine.

If I end up staying in Green Bay (which I might as I am not sure I want to camp), we may be able to car pool.

John Breda

• Thanks 1

We are staying in the University dorms again this year. (We'll be arriving in Caravan but Nancy and I do not camp.) There are shuttle buses to/from the field so a car is not necessary. They might be booked full by now but it would be worth a call. Contact info at AirVenture website.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

You will find that most all accommodations in and near Oshkosh are now taken or overly expensive.  I have flown to Appleton twice and rented a car there successfully.  Both times I stayed in Green Bay for about $100/night or less in a nice hotel.  The drive is about 45 minutes if you select the hotel right.

I may fly into Whitman Field this time, but I will try to arrive Sat or very early Sun before the "Bees Nest" effect fully forms.  

I am a physician as well (Internist in Boston/Providence).  Perhaps we could meet and discuss both airplanes and medicine.

If I end up staying in Green Bay (which I might as I am not sure I want to camp), we may be able to car pool.

John Breda

Hi John, that sounds great; I'm really looking fwd to meeting you. My wife is the doc, but she is excited to meet you (she is FP faculty in SIU's residency program). I am going to try to get a hotel north toward Green Bay. Would be happy to car pool, *but* we are not fly up until Thursday night and just catching the final weekend. Probably target Appleton for landing. 

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

We are staying in the University dorms again this year. (We'll be arriving in Caravan but Nancy and I do not camp.) There are shuttle buses to/from the field so a car is not necessary. They might be booked full by now but it would be worth a call. Contact info at AirVenture website.

HI Bob, that is great insider info. I *really* want to do the caravan next year and I think the dorms may be a great option....or might camp.

48 minutes ago, Stephen said:

HI Bob, that is great insider info. I *really* want to do the caravan next year and I think the dorms may be a great option....or might camp.

Stephen, the dorms are fine. We stayed in a non air-conditioned unit which worked fine last year. I'm sure AC would be nice some years. I think those units fill up first at a $50(?) per night premium. There is free wifi and an excellent cafeteria for breakfast. The bus stop is right in front of the cafeteria. We also used Uber several time. Great service and reasonable price in Oshkosh.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

Stephen, the dorms are fine. We stayed in a non air-conditioned unit which worked fine last year. I'm sure AC would be nice some years. I think those units fill up first at a $50(?) per night premium. There is free wifi and an excellent cafeteria for breakfast. The bus stop is right in front of the cafeteria. We also used Uber several time. Great service and reasonable price in Oshkosh.

Thanks Bob, that is a great option!

Got hotel arranged in Appleton and Rental car at KATW. Per Platinum Flight Service it is $25 tie down (grass) for the week. Need to bring your own tie downs or local Boy Scouts will sell you a set for $35.

14 hours ago, Danb said:

John and  Stephen I’ll be staying in GB if you all need a ride.

I was able to get a rental car with Budget out of Appleton Intl... pretty cheaply too, but would love to meet up.  PM w/ my contact info sent

Quick question for the team.  I've read the rules of OSH and they say no alcohol except in designated areas.  Then I read posts in places where they are talking about camping out and having beers etc.  Is this a wink and a nod kind of thing?  I've never been to OSH but I was just curious.  Sorry if this derails the thread.

The Mooney Caravan has a Scotch night. And of course the Texas Wing participates by bringing our own version of scotch, more commonly known as Tequila. 

Responsible drinking in the North40 camping area is completely acceptable. 

I signed up a couple of days ago and got the last block room at Madison hotel.

Ill be there.  Brenda (Karma) might come but not committed yet. ( She is looking at a new bigger camping tent online)