Oshkosh 2018 - Who's going?

gsxrpilot

Oshkosh 2018 - Who's going?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. I'll be at Oshkosh 2018

2. 2. Transportation

• Flying with the Mooney Caravan
    • Flying the Fisk Arrival
    • Flying to somewhere close and then driving.
    • Driving
  3. 3. Lodging

• Camping with the Mooney Caravan
    • Camping but not with the Caravan
    • Hotel or other off site accomodations

Planning to fly the Fisk arrival on Saturday and camp.  I am not caravan certified so I will have to pass on that, but I am looking forward to seeing and meeting a lot of fellow MooneySpacer's this summer!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 9:23 PM, L. Trotter said:

This will be my first time to Oshkosh and I cant wait !! I would have REALLY liked to join the Caravan but am unable to attend a formation training clinic in time. Although not a snotty person and would be happy to park next to anyone, I would prefer to park/camp next to my fellow Mooney brothers/sisters.... Hope that does not make me a bad person.

I was originally going to arrive Sunday AM but had no idea if I would even be offered a place on the North 40. No idea how fast the area fills up.

I thought I would arrive at noon Saturday, 21 July and fly the Fisk arrival. Perhaps if I arrive behind the Caravan (time wise) I will be directed to park in the same area???? I'm not sure if my logic is sound.

Given that the Caravan was founded by Mooney pilots who wanted to camp together, if you're a bad person, you've got a LOT of company.  Personally, I think you just have good taste! 

Sadly, one usually does not get a choice about where to park, the ground marshals route you and, like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, "you never know what you're going to get."  That the field was so crowded when we landed on Sunday in 2017 motivated the change back to a Saturday mass arrival this year.  If you have a friend on the ground, you can probably get a sitrep on parking Saturday.

I want to do the Caravan, but I can't count on making it to any of the formation training venues (I'm still VFR).  But if everything goes as it should I'll fly in formation with one of Yooper's pals.

Also, I'll be teaching Origami in the craft tent all week.  Feel free to come on by.  I get really popular on rainy days...

• Like 1

I'll be there at some point. I've never been to OSH or even flown into any airshow for that matter. I will probably file high and straight over the lake or If it's nice enough maybe a two ship formation with a buddy and his TBM

It's good if you can talk over the NOTAM with someone who's done the arrival before, it's even better if you can take them along in the right seat the first time you do it.  Either way, good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

I’ll be there for the duration along with my significant other. The Mooney stays home but the RV makes the trip to Warbirds Camping. Stop by the Warbird area (Bombers and Transports) and say hi. We’ll try to get to the N40 shindig this year as we failed miserably last time around. No shortage of work to do in volunteer land during Air Venture.

• Like 1

Are reservations required to camp? or just buy a ticket online and show up and hope for the best? Sorry for my ignorance, went to OSH in 2015 but stayed in GB. We are planning on getting the full experience this time around. Any advice?

On 5/24/2018 at 5:12 PM, dfischer1 said:

Are reservations required to camp? or just buy a ticket online and show up and hope for the best? Sorry for my ignorance, went to OSH in 2015 but stayed in GB. We are planning on getting the full experience this time around. Any advice?

Lots of great info on the airventure website:  www.airventure.org...or you can let others steer you.  Expect some tips on where to find the absolutely essential "can of squelch" for the radios or the best deals on a "P-factor chart."   

• Haha 1

My wife really wants to go and I am game, but I could use some tips. I don't see it as feasible in time remaining to start from scratch and get the training to do the Caravan  so I wonder if anyone has tips on landing somewhere "close" to Air Venture and doing the hotel thing. I don't even know if that is possible from a reservation standpoint. .... Any tips? I would really like to go!

Appleton, Fondulac, and Green Bay would be your options for alternate airports.  You would want to check daily ramp fees and rental car options.  I stayed 2 years ago at a hotel maybe 30 minutes north for around $200 a night.  Get closer and they get real expensive.  I found it best to reserve “on line”.  The one I found I called on and the desk clerk said they had no rooms (suspect she was going to call someone on probably a opening due to a cancellation).   I reserved it on line right after hanging up the phone and saved some money and had no issues.  

Tom

• Thanks 1

Have any of you long body Mooney owners had trouble taxiing between the runway and camping area (prop strike issue)? Some experienced folks have raised the yellow flag-I'am concerned!  I have called the EAA with little help. I thought of shutting down and being pulled to the camp site or having my copilot get out and walk in front to locate holes. Perhaps if I taxi REAL slow I will be OK???? 

I could arrive on Friday when it's not so busy.

I've done the taxi in the grass thing.  So long as its dry you shouldn't have any trouble, though it is certainly nerve wracking.  If its wet, yeah get a tow or go elsewhere.  You can bog down pretty easily in the mud.

17 minutes ago, L. Trotter said:

Have any of you long body Mooney owners had trouble taxiing between the runway and camping area (prop strike issue)? Some experienced folks have raised the yellow flag-I'am concerned!  I have called the EAA with little help. I thought of shutting down and being pulled to the camp site or having my copilot get out and walk in front to locate holes. Perhaps if I taxi REAL slow I will be OK???? 

We always have long bodies fly as part of the Caravan. They never complained on the taxi part. 

Yves

58 minutes ago, Stephen said:

My wife really wants to go and I am game, but I could use some help. I don't see it as possible to start from scratch and get the training to do the Caravan  so I wonder if anyone has tips on landing somewhere "close" to Air Venture and doing the hotel thing. I don't even know if that is possible from a reservation standpoint. .... Any tips? I would really like to go!

Fly in the Oshkosh proper.  It’s not as difficult or scary as some are making it out to be.

Clarence

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Fly in the Oshkosh proper.  It’s not as difficult or scary as some are making it out to be.

Clarence

I think I'll save some of the "new's" for next time and plan Caravan and camping for next year. Just want to create a good time for the wife for her first experience. Looks like a very doable flight. KHAE to KATW at 2:07 and 302nm. Planing right now to leave after my wife gets off work (actually probably leave from KUIN; wife "Shawn"  is a Doc and has clinic coverage in Quincy, IL) Thursday 7/22 and fly to For Du Lac or Appleton or Green Bay based on hotel/rental. Would love to connect with as many as possible at OSH, sounds like a blast and a half!

IMG_4983.PNG.96e461bcf0da4281218bb78088a7e272.PNG

I think I'll save some of the "new's" for next time and plan Caravan and camping for next year. Just want to create a good time for the wife to get her into it. Looks like a very doable flight. KHAE to KATW at 2:07 and 302nm. Planing right now to leave after my wife gets off work (actually probably leave from KUIN; wife "Shawn"  is a Doc and has clinic coverage in Quincy, IL) Thursday 7/22 and fly to For Du Lac or Appleton or Green Bay based on hotel/rental. Would love to connect with as many as possible at OSH, sounds like a blast and a half!

IMG_4983.PNG.96e461bcf0da4281218bb78088a7e272.PNG

I flew into Appleton the “Sploshkosh” year. It’s close (30 minutes) and many more hotel options. Also stayed in Neenah and Green Lake has a wonderful resort not too far from OSH.

Of course Madison and Green Bay are probably not viable daily commutes but easy to fly to and get a rental car at.

I’m guessing at this date your hotel options will drive your flight destination.

I can see why it’s nerve wracking especially if it’s something you don’t normally do. We crank the elevator back and adding a little power can help lift the nose sometimes. It also helps if you’re following other similar aircraft, as in the Caravan. Taking the same path/speed as a 185, for example, is much less useful.

They keep the grounds pretty well and as long as you’re attentive, deliberate and careful, you’ll be fine. I’ve seen one Mooney get stuck in some wet ground, but follow the same practice you would four-wheeling (stay out of low/dark spots, keep moving) and it’s nothing to worry about.
  • Like 1

I have the Long Body /sloshkosh experience...

Slow down for the transition from pavement to dirt/grass...

Take a look at how much clearance you have before you go flying... it would take a crater to fall into to make an issue...

Stay on the path to keep away from any craters.  I never really saw a crater in KOSH...

If the ground gets soggy, like sloshK, it is going to take getting pushed out of the rut prior to start-up... 280hp@2500rpm isn’t enough for some reason...

It is a long distance from landing to parking so getting a tow doesn’t sound really likely.... Self reliance and an LB may sound a bit funny... but the more experience you get the more self reliant you become...

A few squares of plywood would keep the tires from sinking...

The best thing I brought to Both KOSH and SnF... I brought Harry... Somebody that has been there before and can read the guidance...  Eyes out of the cabin during the approach phase... it gets pretty busy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1