KFC 225 Garmin 530 glidescope capture

Hello Mooneyspacers,

I am having difficulty capturing the glideslope on RNAV approaches using the KFC 225 and Garmin 530.  When approaching final and glideslope comes alive, sometimes the autopilot will capture and fly the glideslope, sometimes not.  I suspect user error.

Any advice?

The 225 is a little unique. You need to push approach on the 225 when cleared, the 530 message will blink and you need to enable APR on the gps, lastly you need to push approach two more times on the 225. 

The above is for the waas enabled unit. 

Not sure, mine works every time. 

Of course:

- You need to intercept the glide slop from below, i.e., you cannot descend "into" the glide slop from above (the glideslope line needs to drop in from the top).

- In my airplane (M20R 2000), there is an "enable glideslope" warning that needs to be enabled manually (see also https://www.manualslib.com/manual/358388/Garmin-Gns-530w.html?page=124). So as I go past the initial approach fix, a warning pops up to press PROC to enable glideslope outputs. That disconnects the autopilot from Approach mode, so I need to re-enable it. 

I have not played much with variations on this. It's pretty much an automatic sequence when I fly approaches. Occasionally I have been too high on practice approaches and missed the glide slope intercept. But when the sequence is followed it always works.

The KFC225 is different, so much so that the Garmin manuals devote special sections to its use. 

The GNS530 Pilot’s Guide describes the specific steps and specific sequence to couple the autopilot for GPS RNAV approaches. 

822B528C-46E3-4710-B1FA-51D4B0732084.thumb.png.af611c86ef1ae75b218ef4d059177743.png

If you don’t do it this way and in this order you won’t get approach guidance from the 530 to the 225.

• Like 1

My king 225 coupled to Garmin 530 wass doesn't work as described in the Garmin manual. I have the autopilot on Nav as I shoot the approach with the Garmin Approach Activated and as I pass the FAF the Approach mode button on the 225 will begin to flash and I push it to capture the glideslope. If I push it to soon (before passing FAF) nothing happens. I never get the message to activate autopilot APR outputs.

Edited by rgpilot

54 minutes ago, rgpilot said:

My king 225 coupled to Garmin 530 wass doesn't work as described in the Garmin manual....

Are you describing the behavior during an ILS or RNAV GPS approach?  In the latter case you must enable the outputs before pressing APR button on the KFC225.   

If you’re flying a coupled RNAV GPS approach and at the FAF select approach mode without  enabling outputs on the 530W the the autopilot will enter roll mode (wing leveler) but the KFC225 will annunciate Approach mode.     (!) 

If you are flying a VOR or ILS approach with the 530W in OBS (not GPS) mode then you switch the KFC225 from NAV to APR as described in the KFC225 manual.  No additional step required to enable outputs.  

Caveat:  That’s what my Ovation and P46T do and each is G500-GAD43e-GTN750-KFC225 equipped.  

I was describing a GPS approach. I never get the message to enable outputs and there is nothing to enable on the Garmin. The approach button on the 225 starts to flash and I just have to push Approach on 225.

10 hours ago, rgpilot said:

I was describing a GPS approach. I never get the message to enable outputs and there is nothing to enable on the Garmin. The approach button on the 225 starts to flash and I just have to push Approach on 225.

That is odd; I am 99% sure I have the latest software on my 530/430 boxes and the documentation makes it clear that you must manually enable the glide slope outputs. 

Did it ever work for you? (glide-slope coupling on RNAV?) If not I'd say the installation isn't right. I assume you have the WAAS enabled unit, right? If not, I am pretty sure it won't fly the glide slope....

The 225 captures the glideslope on GPS approaches perfectly. I never got the message that I expected but as long as I press the Approach button after passing the IAP it works.

At that point the button will flash to alert me to push it.

ILS approaches work normally.

I can fly a full GPS approach with the plane doing the proceedure turn on its own and wait to repass the IAP than hit the Approach button on the 225 and capture the glideslope.

Go into config menu on your 530w by pressing and holding enter button while powering up unit.You should see a menu item pretty deep after rs232 com settings that give a selection for manual a/p prompt.Id like to see what this setting is set for on your box.

I tried this yesterday in VMC:

Armed the RNAV GPS 33 approach into KMTN and I deliberately did NOT "activate approach outputs" and the result was -- the autopilot maintained the heading it was on at the moment I pressed APR on the KFC225.  

• 5 years later...

I just got my 2000 bravo with a kfc225 and Garmin 530w. when flying an lpv I'm not having gs capture

should I leave the 225 in nav mode til I get the prompt on the 530w and then do I push approach once or twice?

do I wait for the apr to flash on the 225?

Alan