EDM 900 and Monroy fuel tank extensions

Hi,

does anyone has an EDM 900 with a Monroy fuel tank extension? How is the setup for the fuel tanks? Since only the inner (main)  tanks have 4 sensors it only make sense to set the fuel indicators to 72 Gal usable fuel (M20K) in total. The EDM 900 has a two tank configuration. 

If you top of all tanks than the usable fuel is 101 gal (M20K with speed breaks). Is there the same logic as in the EDM 730/830 to set the fuel quantity to 72 or 101 after refuelling?  I think the used the "to the taps" option for this configuration in the EDM.

I assume its that way but just like to see if somebody has real world experience. 

Thanks Hendrik 

38 minutes ago, David Herman said:

@Piloto @201er The STC holder (Piloto) just happens to be on this forum. “201er” has the long tang tanks on his J. There are a few others with Monroy Tank Extensions ... or EDM 900/930s  @Marauder but not sure if anyone has both? This will draw the thread to their attention.

Not I.

I have not read the Install manual lately but this is my recommendation. 

Set the max fuel (via the totalizer) to the total capacity. 

For the tank gauges carefully collect and graph the sensor resistance to fuel added data (both senders are wired in series in each tank-meaning the two tank jpi works great).  The sensors will probably work well above the stock fuel quantity. Note on your graph/data where the resistance levels peak, use the lower gallon quantity (at peak) tank value for both tanks, and set the gallons and respective resistance levels for each side. Look carefully at the rest of the data and put the middle three points where they are needed and the first point at zero gallons usable. 

A lot has been written on this topic, including by myself with CIES senders with the EDM900 with my long range tanks. Use the search function, but here is one thread that references the CIES resource thread that has a lot more on this in the context of using CIES senders but that won't change anything from a calibration perspective. 

But you do of course want to set it up as a single tank per side since that's all your senders can measure.

Yet since you have the EDM900 you should really consider going with the CIES senders. 

Edited by kortopates

Hendrik,

Just a guess based on fuzzy PP memory...

You already have four sensors where they are wired together in sets of two... one set per wing...

Connected in series or parallel will be the answer... so the two sensors act as one device... as they do now...

If considering the digital Cies floats you want to adjust the order for the JPI to include the frequency option for the most precise fuel level sensing available...

If you own the JPI already, it can be sent back in to JPI for the frequency option.

Note about the K’s extended range fuel tanks... they are connected together... even though there is a space between them... And they have two fill caps...

It appears more like there are two separate systems, but they work more like one big tank per wing...

Stuff I have read about on MS.  No first hand experience with the K model.

Best regards,

-a-

I have newly installed 64 gallon bladders, CiES sensors, in my M20E which has am EDM930 and only 2 sensor per wing. The single sensor is pegged to the top of the tank before the outboard cells are full so I suppose this installation will be similar to what you'll have to deal with. 

When I calibrated the sensors per installation instructions I added fuel to each tank 8 gallons (1/4 of capacity) at a time so that the EDM would read the correct level at 8 gallons, 16 gallons, 24 gallons and 32 gallons per side. The digital reading of the sensor changed little from 3/4 full to full and as fuel is used the fuel level reads full until almost 8 gallons have been used at which point the fuel level agrees very precisely with the fuel flow accumulator. 

I suppose the geometry/dihedral  of your tanks will result in a similar display - you have 2 sensors per side but more and higher fuel compartments. You will not show a change in fuel quantity until the higher sensor arm comes off the roof of the tank. Real world this should matter very little.  

16 minutes ago, Danb said:

BB how’s the paint job coming.

Well Dan, good buddy... Joe seems to have a reputation... he told me today that my plane will be in the paint room next week but he was not sure whether it would stretch into the next week so I just pushed back a date at the avionics shop for static/xponder cert. from 5/21 to 5/29...

Good thing I've learned patience in my senior years.

1 minute ago, Danb said:

Well as long as it’s done properly 

That's what Joe keeps telling me... "we want to get you the paint job you deserve..."

But I'm confident the job will be done right. Apparently there were plenty of dings and dents from 52 years of wear and tear. Joe removes all the old "bondo" before priming. The fresh filler goes on top of the epoxy primer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys,

thats helpful. The old sender a re still reading ok, but CiES sender locks good. The EDM setup is clear to me now. Let see how quick the JPI EDM840 can be replaced by the EDM900.

Hendrik