Recommendations on Selling Mooney

SAMFOX

Anyone have any experience/recommendations on best way to sell a Mooney.

Basics are: 1997 M20J, 1440 TT, ADS-B In-Out Garmin 345, Aspen PFD1000, Garmin 530W/430W, Flight Stream, 940# Useful Load, fresh annual...

Looking for thoughts and ideas...I purchased plane through All American so thought I would ask for inputs before heading back to AA for re-sale!

Well you can make up a good package and put it on MS under aircraft for sale.  You might want to become a volunteer firefighter first and have your bunker gear on and ready.:o

Lots of good pictures and if not already done scan the log books for anyone who might be interested.   At a minimum the most recent stuff and anything major in the past.

After that barnstormers and trade a plane if you want to sell it yourself.   Otherwise back to a broker.

• Like 1

When I upgraded last year I sold my plane through a broker. Basically I just don't want to take the time and effort to market the plane myself, deal with buyers, deal with the logistics of a pre-buy, etc, etc, etc. I feel in my case the broker absolutely earned his fee.

Larry

15 minutes ago, larryb said:

When I upgraded last year I sold my plane through a broker. Basically I just don't want to take the time and effort to market the plane myself, deal with buyers, deal with the logistics of a pre-buy, etc, etc, etc. I feel in my case the broker absolutely earned his fee.

Larry

Same thing I did.  I was very satisfied with broker's role in the sale.

I also hired a broker to be my buyer's agent for the step-up purchase.  That went very well, too.  

Thanks for the inputs...still have all the scanned logs from when I purchased it so a quick update should be easy! Lots of pictures I can do but as you said not sure I want to deal with all the hassles...maybe I will give it a shot for a few weeks and see how big of a paion it will be. Not sure how the market is for Js right now, doesnt seem to be many out there that I am seeing!

The market for a J model, well maintained and in reasonably good shape, is excellent. Priced properly, it will likely sell within 30 days. Priced wrong, you can keep it for a long time. To get a reasonable value on yours, you can use both the AOPA Vref  and the Mooney Flyer (themooneyflyer.com) valuation tool to see what it might be worth.

Biggest key I have found in selling a plane is to either answer the phone when someone calls about it or get back to them if you get a voicemail or email from an interested party. I ended up with my first Cessna after looking at a couple of others but could never get the sellers to return my calls. It can be a hassle to sell a plane, and the effort involved is why brokers make their money.

If you are not a machine seller or house seller AND you don’t want to become one...

1) Try your hand here on MS...

• Start with everything you used to buy the plane, and update the lists and pics and logs and hours...
  • Use the various Vref and Mooney Pilot pricing tools...
  • This all gets you ready for step 2...
  • put on your thick skin... As the thread gets longer, some people no longer recognize it is in the for sale section...
  • enjoy the conversation as each time it gets brought up, Somebody is looking at your ad...

2) Send your data collection to Jimmy with a phone call and ‘hello, remember me and my ship?’

feel confident that...

• using a pro to sell your plane will get a higher price.
  • The higher price will pay for the pro’s effort and time.
  • The pro relieves you of the stress and labor.
  • The plane sells quicker because the customers are going to the pro already.
  • Often AAA buys the nice Mooneys like yours, really making the whole challenge more of a breeze...

Now figure out your priorities...

Speed, price, efficiency, effort, stress... dealing with tire kickers... and other people that have never bought a plane before...

My estate will be saddled with the sale of my forever plane...

Hopefully my forever plane is going to be a turbine Mooney.  :)

Along the way, the O will probably be traded in for my forever plane that will be resident at AAA...

As far as pricing goes... M20Js are being listed at the highest prices since 2007 or so...

PP long term planning, not actually factual...yet.

Best regards,

-a-

Sam,

Immediately...

Post a few pics...

• Outside of plane
  • Instrument panel
  • Interirior

There are a few people looking to buy already...  this will get the conversation going...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SAMFOX said:

Anyone have any experience/recommendations on best way to sell a Mooney.

Basics are: 1997 M20J, 1440 TT, ADS-B In-Out Garmin 345, Aspen PFD1000, Garmin 530W/430W, Flight Stream, 940# Useful Load, fresh annual...

Looking for thoughts and ideas...I purchased plane through All American so thought I would ask for inputs before heading back to AA for re-sale!

The end of the run J models (Allegros) were some of the best airplanes Mooney ever produced. Every running improvement is incorporated. The panel on yours has been updated. If all of the maintenance is up to date it should sell easily in the  $165,000 range. Much more than that and you are getting into updated Ovation territory.

• Like 2

Last time I sold an airplane I put it up on Barnstormers and maybe Trade-a-Plane.  Lots of photos, tried to represent its condition as accurately as I could.  Sold it within a month and got what I was asking.  If it hadn't sold I'd have asked for less.  Be truthful, get as many photos as you can, and put them up wherever you can.  I'm told you get lots of tire kickers, but tat' wasn't my experience.  Happiest day of an aircraft owner's life...

Humans.  Never cease to amaze and confound me.  Mooneyspace, a place where humans go out of their way to be friendly until they are not.  I have to ask: (because no one else will) “Seller, you have a human interested in your plane and you completely ignore his query.”  Why would you do that?  You are looking to sell your plane and reach out.  A human communicates he is an interested buyer and you ignore him.  Face palm.

Ya, A broker is definitely the way you should go Sam.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SAMFOX said:

Thanks all for the comments and inputs...think I will make my way back to AAA at the EOM....just makes the most sense do to me  having to travel, etc... 

Yep, no need to sell it to @MATTS875, who has expressed interest at least twice in this thread . . . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

There are no dues.  Ads or no ads.

You’re correct.  Dues is the wrong word, donations would fit better.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc