Name that Plane - Army

Seen on the Myrtle Beach ramp last night. Anyone have an idea what it is? The design may suggest some type of sea search and rescue, but that's not typically an army mission (I think?).
IMG_20180510_102451_713.thumb.jpg.7de6bd5d2ce380c0d348d8332305b77b.jpg

It looks like an OV-1 Mohawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

The Army is no longer using these.  We retired the last group about twenty years ago.  My guess, it belongs to one of the air museums that still has operational Mohawk's:

• American Wings Air Museum, Blaine, Minnesota operates three Mohawks
  • Carolinas Aviation Museum flies two Mohawks to airshows
  • Cavanaugh Flight Museum flies one Mohawk
  • American Warplane Museum in Wisconsin flies 2 or 3 Mohawks
  • Army Aviation Heritage Foundation, Hampton, Georgia Flies 631 "B" Model and 005 "d" Model[4]
  • Air Heritage Museum, Beaver County Airport, Pennsylvania currently flying 1 Mohawk

Cheers,

Brian

There is at least one OV-1 owned by an individual flying around.  I saw it at KLZU a few years ago on its way to an airshow.

The OV-1 had some nasty habits if not flown carefully.  Single engine ops accounted for some if the mishaps.

On 5/10/2018 at 7:23 PM, Mooneymite said:

There is at least one OV-1 owned by an individual flying around.  I saw it at KLZU a few years ago on its way to an airshow.

The OV-1 had some nasty habits if not flown carefully.  Single engine ops accounted for some if the mishaps.

Grew up next to Ft. Huachuca in AZ , had OV-1’s stationed there ; very funky appearance. Only crash I heard about was a guy showing off aerobatics for his wife and forgot about density altitude when trying to show a low loop. 

• 1 year later...