New integral wingtip & light vendor for vintage Mooneys?

2 minutes ago, steingar said:

Looks spanky.  Probably more than I can afford.

$Couple hundred?  Couple thousand?  When no price is given I lean toward the latter... or more.  New Mooney’s are flying off the shelves at three quarters of a million.  This is TRUMP change.  Or is it CHUMP?  I am sure that the installation and purchase price will immediately result in a significant increase in value and sale price recovering all your investment.  You will get 5-10 knots speed be super visible in the sky (over stock tip/strobe/rec light) and look sporty doing it.

Buy four because when they come in contact with a hard object (your hanger wall) they will need swappin’.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

http://www.aveoengineering.com/crystal-conforma-for-mooney/

Anyone know anything about these guys. Download is "coming soon"

After meeting with their marketing guy, Damien Esmond, at Summit V, I thought that my M20C would be one of the first installs.  In late October Damien wrote that "the EASA paperwork is expected to be complete any day,  we have been told mid to late October and So we told customers we will begin shipping in November December.  As soon as the tips are Approved and certified we will get you the first set!".

I tried to contact him again last December but he failed to respond.  I haven't heard anything from Aveo since that late October response, above.

1 minute ago, Mike Ropers said:

DO TELL!!!  cost and performance gain

Not much to tell yet... it's a prototype and we're just testing. It doesn't fit properly yet. I haven't seen any performance gain, but the cool factor is there and the lights are very nice.

29 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

After meeting with their marketing guy, Damien Esmond, at Summit V, I thought that my M20C would be one of the first installs.  In late October Damien wrote that "the EASA paperwork is expected to be complete any day,  we have been told mid to late October and So we told customers we will begin shipping in November December.  As soon as the tips are Approved and certified we will get you the first set!".

I tried to contact him again last December but he failed to respond.  I haven't heard anything from Aveo since that late October response, above.

Dude

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Not much to tell yet... it's a prototype and we're just testing. It doesn't fit properly yet. I haven't seen any performance gain, but the cool factor is there and the lights are very nice.

No speed gain and fitment issues....

Pretty though.

Boom.

Marketing genius.

• Like 1

I should explain the fit issue. The wing tips were designed for the 201. I'm putting them on a 252. You'd think the wing tips would be the same between the 201 and 252. It's the same wing after all. But the difference is the 252 has much larger counter weights on the ailerons up inside the wing. Those large weights stick out quite a bit further than the counter weights on the 201and just barely interfere with some internal structure in the tips. I'm also in the process of converting my 252 to an Encore which involves even larger counter weights. 

That is the only fit issue. There have been quite a number of Mooney owners who have see these up close on my 252 and until I point it out, you can't tell they don't fit perfectly. 

Regarding the performance... I'm not in a very good position to evaluate that as I haven't done any before/after comparison. I've been changing/upgrading this plane since I bought it and so there's really just too much going on to point to a performance difference with one piece like these tips. 

We'll get the internal fit sorted for the counterweights and I'll be very happy to have them on my 252. 

“It’s not so much a a hard number as a misty dark squishy feelin’”.

But as long as GA is happy all good.

Like the amazing ever occurring panels of Whiz the wingtips...or winglets are VERY nice aesthetically.  I am sure the lights are very bright and use less energy and will require less service (Until a line guy/phantom nails one).  I am sure that 2 AMU’s PLUS another 2 for fitment are a solid investment in the feel good category.  Go forth and open pocketbook to the wise purchase.

PS-If this would of been posted on the Modern thread I wouldn’t even of seen it.  BUT, and that is a BIG but, It is in vintage where sale values for our planes are horrible.  This money is better spent in other areas.  Truly you should of just bought a post ‘78 J with sculpted wingtips instead of trying to create one.  Cheaper in the long run.

Those .2 AMU LED recognition lights look like a bargain compared to these babies...

Maybe a sweet Sabre-cowl enclosure once temp gremlins are tamed is money better spent?

If you are looking for an investment buy a numbers matching Luger.  If you just want to spend money these tips are the bomb.

2 hours ago, David Herman said:

Theoretically, if you consider how the air flows off a high dihedral wing (like ours) to create vortices... there could be some benefits ...

Most of the airlines, cheap as they are, were sold on installing winglets on the 737s and 757s ... during the period of high fuel prices around 2008-2009ish ... and many Airbus and EMB products come stock with smaller winglet versions. 

Having flown 737s thousands of hours both before and after winglets, I can say there is certainly a difference, in lift and in economy. (The winglet aircraft are markedly harder to slow down, and burn less fuel in cruise.) 

So theoretically the potential is there ... is it economically feasible on a slower prop aircraft  (is the return worth the investment) and is the design good enough to achieve sound measurable results? Mmmm ... that remains to be seen.

OMG, winglets make a 737 markedly harder to slow down!?!  I cannot imagine my C being harder to slow down.   I don't think I can afford speed brakes.

My C came with speed brakes (more thread creep), have to say they were cool until one stopped deploying halfway across country on way home. (Btw, one deployed a non event, as long as it retracts, which it does). As for planning descents on an arrival, my little four banger appreciates speed brakes for very different reasons than a turbojet on an arrival out of the flight levels. .... carry on! 

On 5/10/2018 at 12:39 PM, David Herman said:

they are useful in descents in mountainous areas which are predicated on clearing terrain first, then requiring a somewhat higher rate of descent. 

What I've been doing, and it seems to work well enough so far, is to pull back to 19.5/1950 a couple of miles from the IAF. This gets me almost down to Vle (120 mph, '69 F) / Vfe (125 mph, electric flaps). Then I can relatively easily get slowed down to where I can pop the "lower speed brakes" (landing gear). Gear down, it's relatively easy to fly a nice stabilized approach at about 100 mph, which sets me up nicely for final with minimal excess energy to bleed off. I've been criticized (by a Cirrus pilot, natch) for not keeping speed in to the FAF, but, whatever. It costs me a couple of minutes, max. This worked well the other night going into KIZA (ATC assigned 6,000' cruise altitude, cross RZS at 6,000', and then a fairly short, tight approach getting down to a field at 672' MSL.) To be on that approach, you can't just push it over from cruise without seriously pulling power; tickling the top of Vno, I'd have less than 6 minutes to drop 4160' (>717 fpm), not the most uncomfortable, but now you're carrying a ton of speed ... Pulling power early and coming down at ~90 knots "costs" me 4 minutes but means a lot less work trying to get everything slow and stable at the end of the approach. <Shrug>

(No speed brakes required. ;) )

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

JD at SWTA is the one to ask. I'll probably see the Aveo guys at Oshkosh and talk to them there.

Let us all know. Include pricing and estimated install as replacement for LASAR wingtips.

• Like 1