Any "Woody" Owners out there? (M20 & M20A)

5 hours ago, kerry said:

In addition to removing inspection panels. Every annual the auxiliary fuel tank under the rear bench comes out.  You need to remove fairing panels between fuselage and wing. Remove flap gap seals. Remove wing control surfaces including flaps.  Inspecting the wood is the easy part once everything is taken off(Maybe 30 minutes of my IA's time).  If you got the time and you like working on your own airplane it's really not a bad deal.  I bought my A model for $12,500 and it has speeds close to a J model.  If you have to pay someone to do all that work at annual time then probably not worth it.

This is really cool Kerry!

Getting speeds near M20Js puts you pretty close to Ovation speeds as well…. :)

For comparison… Low end Ovations are in the 200amu area…

Keeping a newer plane in top condition is a touch easier than an older plane…

There is nothing more beautiful than a well kept wooden wing.

Wood… nature’s composite!

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kerry said:

2450 RPM at 10,500 150 kts true airspeed.

Really! I'll have to fly up there more often and find out. Always seems like the lower winds are forecasted better whenever I try and go anywhere. Although I am usually getting about 155-158TAS around 4-7k. Albeit mine is MPH and not Knots. 

53 minutes ago, 59Moonster said:

Really! I'll have to fly up there more often and find out. Always seems like the lower winds are forecasted better whenever I try and go anywhere. Although I am usually getting about 155-158TAS around 4-7k. Albeit mine is MPH and not Knots. 

I'm on my 3rd A model.  I can say my previous A models were slower than my present A.  I would think it would be because of rigging.  My present A flies really nice where my past A's had a heavy wing and I could never rig them to fly straight hands off.  Also my present A has a plexiglass cover over the landing light. The air inlet on the right side has been recessed and I also have the Top Prop propeller.  I'm not sure if it those upgrades have any benefit or not.

Hey Guys, one other question I have. This 1960 Mooney I have had inspected and there are no real issues. Wood is good. Couple of small Ad's to sort. It has a good three bladed Hartzell prop on it, it's clean and tidy. The aileron and flap linkages need some attention, but is okay to fly for another 200 hundred hours. Paint and interior are good.  Engine is around 1300 hours. Could you please give me an idea on price range I should be paying? As you know everything is very expensive right now. Just a guide would be very helpful. Thanks.

On 10/9/2021 at 7:03 PM, Sam Harris said:

Hey Guys, one other question I have. This 1960 Mooney I have had inspected and there are no real issues. Wood is good. Couple of small Ad's to sort. It has a good three bladed Hartzell prop on it, it's clean and tidy. The aileron and flap linkages need some attention, but is okay to fly for another 200 hundred hours. Paint and interior are good.  Engine is around 1300 hours. Could you please give me an idea on price range I should be paying? As you know everything is very expensive right now. Just a guide would be very helpful. Thanks.

I would(no pun intended) say the wing and airframe has zero valve.  Someone stated in a earlier post that someone was giving a M20A away for free.  You have a higher time engine with a value of 8-10K and a propeller of 6-8K. If you have basic avionics then I would put the valve at 18k or less.  It's a good value if the plane in is decent shape. 

Wing and airframe zero value?!  What the hell kind of statement is that?  Just this past year, on this site, there are metal wing C Mooneys that have gone "belly/tits up" due to corrosion than wood wings disintegrating due to  ... well you tell me,  rot, ignorance I don't know?!  Making blanket statements regarding the airframe value of  every M18, M20 & M20A being equal to "zero" is unfounded.  Make that statement about your own airplane, but leave it at that.

Edited by mike20papa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mike20papa said:

Wing and airframe zero value?!  What the hell kind of statement is that?  Just this past year, on this site, there are metal wing C Mooneys that have gone "belly/tits up" due to corrosion than wood wings disintegrating due to  ... well you tell me,  rot, ignorance I don't know?!  Making blanket statements regarding the airframe value of  every M18, M20 & M20A being equal to "zero" is unfounded.  Make that statement about your own airplane, but leave it at that.

Maybe I should of said minimal value.  Personally I prefer a wood wing Mooney but the general aviation population does not.  That's why you can get a wood wing Mooney for $20,000 or less.  I'm just trying to give an overall perspective on the market values a M20A's.  If a wood wing Mooney is listed for $36,000 most will pass and pay the extra cash for a M20C.  Which is a great deal for those that want a M20A.

• Like 1

Lost in translation…

Sometimes we get focused on one end of the post… and forget loose descriptions may affect the other end of the post and how it gets perceived….  Writing can be hard!

Example…

There are so many Mooneys around here where their instrument panel upgrades cost more than the plane itself….

The first question the unknowing people ask… why would somebody put so many upgrades into a low cost plane?   You will never get your money back….

It is important to see the best way to sell the plane for recovering the dollars invested… is to sell the completed panel… with a free attached airplane….   :)

A clean Mooney always has value… to somebody…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 7:06 PM, Bill Pugh said:

Thanks for all the posts and great information. Been away a bit but I did order some oil and filters that was recommended, but . . . I don’t have an oil filter! LOL. Just a screen. I’ll try to fly some profiles and gather some data on the 150 hp. So far, she’s flying great after I swapped all the plugs for new ones. I understand most folks still lean on the ground to save the plugs?

My dad and a few guys owned a wood wing Mooney back in about 1964/65 along with a ‘59 C150.  I remember flying with his instructor to STP and having lunch in the restaurant located in the tower. (I was 9 or 10 years old)

That building still exists, with a GREAT restaurant; tho the tower has been relocated a few hundred yards away.

I’ll find my dads logbook and try to ID the Mooney #

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 1956 Mooney wood Wing 150 horsepower, original interior but nice condition paint is good . Panel is ancient . I just got my tax bill from San Bernardino County California. This plane has been valued for 10 years at 29,000 my new tax bill shows the value at 62,733. I've contacted the tax board and they keep giving me the runaround. Can anybody help me find proof that there is no way that it's worth that kind of money? Aircraft Blue Book is expensive and for the M20 only goes back to 1970. Thank you if anybody can help my name is Fred harms. Email fredandglenda@msn.com

1 hour ago, Inharmsway7 said:

I own a 1956 Mooney wood Wing 150 horsepower, original interior but nice condition paint is good . Panel is ancient . I just got my tax bill from San Bernardino County California. This plane has been valued for 10 years at 29,000 my new tax bill shows the value at 62,733. I've contacted the tax board and they keep giving me the runaround. Can anybody help me find proof that there is no way that it's worth that kind of money? Aircraft Blue Book is expensive and for the M20 only goes back to 1970. Thank you if anybody can help my name is Fred harms. Email fredandglenda@msn.com

You might try contacting Jimmy Garrison to ask for an opinion of value. 

9 hours ago, Inharmsway7 said:

Maybe they've confused your ancient panel for a Garmin G1000. Attached is VERF from AOPA.  Looks like $25,410

MOONEYMARK 20M20 A.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, carusoam said:

There are many M20A owners around here….

So many, they often just fit in as ordinary Mooney owners…

What ever happened to Dave Morris, N1959A? He has / had a website about his A model, too.