Any "Woody" Owners out there? (M20 & M20A)

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, Greg Ellis said:

Dave Morris lurks on here.  He has a 1960 A model.  Before Bill Wheat passed, he had him sign the oil access door on his cowl.  Bill was the test pilot that signed off his Air Worthiness way back in 1960.

Search for "N1960A". He may have that as a website, too, just add the dot com at the end.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Is that a dart or a cadet?

It is a pre-war Culver Cadet. This is the airplane that Al Mooney designed following the Darts. After WW2, the next Al Mooney design was the Culver V (for Victory), the last Culver Aircraft before Culver closed up. Al then went on to start the Mooney Mite series, followed by the M20.

Most of the pre-war Darts had a radial engine and fixed landing gear. Some of the later darts had a flat engine.

The Cadets had retractable gear and either a Continental or Franklin engine ranging from 75hp up to 90hp. Advertised cruise speeds ranged from 120 mph up to 130 mph with the 90hp Franklin. Even if they are not quite that quick, they offered outstanding cruise performance coupled with economic operation...an Al Mooney trademark.

Edited by BKlott
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the posts and great information. Been away a bit but I did order some oil and filters that was recommended, but . . . I don’t have an oil filter! LOL. Just a screen. I’ll try to fly some profiles and gather some data on the 150 hp. So far, she’s flying great after I swapped all the plugs for new ones. I understand most folks still lean on the ground to save the plugs?

25 minutes ago, Bill Pugh said:

Thanks for all the posts and great information. Been away a bit but I did order some oil and filters that was recommended, but . . . I don’t have an oil filter! LOL. Just a screen. I’ll try to fly some profiles and gather some data on the 150 hp. So far, she’s flying great after I swapped all the plugs for new ones. I understand most folks still lean on the ground to save the plugs?

Glad to hear she's doing well.

I lean enough on the ground that when I add throttle to taxi uphill, I have to push Mixture a little richer to keep running. Virtually zero lead on my plugs at oil change (50 hours, but I have a filter).

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 7:35 PM, Hank said:

Glad to hear she's doing well.

I lean enough on the ground that when I add throttle to taxi uphill, I have to push Mixture a little richer to keep running. Virtually zero lead on my plugs at oil change (50 hours, but I have a filter).

Thanks!

I've read that Mooneys lost a few knots of speed when they switched to metal wings.  Sounds like a really nice thing in a dry climate, so long as there are no termites.  The only real problem I could see is if they get pranged I don't know who could repair the amazing woodwork that went into those wings.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:05 AM, steingar said:

I've read that Mooneys lost a few knots of speed when they switched to metal wings.  Sounds like a really nice thing in a dry climate, so long as there are no termites.  The only real problem I could see is if they get pranged I don't know who could repair the amazing woodwork that went into those wings.

Any competent cabinet maker can make repairs to a wood wing.  Wood's not difficult to work with.  I think it's easier than metal.

• 2 years later...

Hi

I have just come across this thread it's great to hear you guys talking about your Mooney's with great Passion

my name is Jack Wingrove i live in the UK .I am very interested in Mooney aircraft   I have been trying for 25 years plus to put a Mooney Production list/History of every Mooney built

This project takes a lot of time to piece together and i'm getting there it seems never ending Tho.

My records show there are 23 M.20 Still flying in the world  17 in the USA 1 Greece 1 in South Africa & 5 in Canada as far as i can see The earliest one flying is s/n 1004 a 1955 Model

There are 94 M.20A Still flying 59 USA 1 Venezuela 20 Canada 1 Belgium 2 Brazil 1 Argentina 1 UK 2 Germany 1 France 5 Chile ? The earliest one flying M.20A Is s/n 1201 a 1958 Model

I hope you find this Piece Of information interesting and it would be nice to hear from some of you owners,and thank you for taking time to read this Enjoy your Aircraft

Jack

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooneyman_jack/favorites

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Jack...

With that kind of history... that makes you the first Mooniac...   :)

Some Mooneys are recognizable... a couple from the UK I see in there GOBAL and OSUS are around here...

There is one Mooney that is bare naked... that’s an MSer’s plane...

There is a plane in front of the NJ MSC...  that’s the New Jersey, not the old Jersey...

If you search on the terms Mooney Fly-in... you may find quite a few Mooneys in the picture...

The Mooney caravan often has pics in mid-air... they are formation flying Mooniacs...

Two big fly-ins have many Mooneys... Mooney Summit... and the Mooney Caravan at KOSH...

You have come to the right place...

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 year later...

Welcome aboard Sam!

Wing inspection on all Mooneys is done through….  Inspection panels.

These fancy panels are so well located… they allow the inspector to see every surface of the plane.

Finding an experienced M20A mechanic for the pre-purchase inspection would be a good idea…

PP thoughts only not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

21 hours ago, Sam Harris said:

Dear All,

I am considering buying a 1960 A model how do you inspect the wings please?

Start by grabbing the flap brackets. They should be rock solid. Bad sign if any movement. The flap bracket aft of wing walk next to step can have the glue joints come loose from years of walking on wing walk.  Plywood under wing walk can also come loose for the same reasons.  If no rot then it can be reasonably repaired. If the rest of the flap brackets are loose then probably rot and it would be best to avoid. Take your finger tips and tap various areas on top of the wing along the ribs which should feel solid.  You don't want to feel plywood loose from a rib.  The most suspect area of plywood coming loose from ribs will occur at rear of wing by the flap gap seals. If the wing seems solid after looking then you can have someone with wood wing and fabric experience do a detailed inspection.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Sam!

Wing inspection on all Mooneys is done through….  Inspection panels.

Not according to the IA with whom I discussed this.  There was a huge list of tasks to do the AD, at least according to him.  Could be that AD doesn't exist North of the border, I dunno.

• Thanks 1

In addition to removing inspection panels. Every annual the auxiliary fuel tank under the rear bench comes out.  You need to remove fairing panels between fuselage and wing. Remove flap gap seals. Remove wing control surfaces including flaps.  Inspecting the wood is the easy part once everything is taken off(Maybe 30 minutes of my IA's time).  If you got the time and you like working on your own airplane it's really not a bad deal.  I bought my A model for $12,500 and it has speeds close to a J model.  If you have to pay someone to do all that work at annual time then probably not worth it.