Help locating Lycoming Service Instruction 1316 A

cnoe

Does anybody have a copy (.pdf) of the  Lycoming Service Instruction No. 1316-A describing the process of resurfacing the vernatherm seating surface that they could share? The dual-mag engines do not have a removable oil-filter-adapter and I'm trying to determine whether the seating surface can be touched up in place without risking contamination of the engine (perhaps by flushing out the filter-adapter and oil-cooler lines from the vernatherm's opening).

Please don't ask me to search Lycoming's website or do a Google Search as that has been unsuccessful. If you have better luck and can provide a direct link to the SI then I will offer you great praise.

Thanks in advance...

cnoe

Chuck,
Any idea what happened to the the seal surface of the vernatherm?
Best regards,
-a-

No diagnosis has been made yet but I’m looking ahead at options/remedies. My oil temp runs about 10-15 F high for a J even though my CHTs are excellent (CHTs in the lower 10th percentile according to Savvy’s data analysis). Being based in hot/humid Texas doesn’t help either.

Resolving the discrepancy is on my to-do list though not urgent. It’s likely either a restricted cooler or a leaky vernatherm. The cooler is old but has been thoroughly pressure flushed twice, flows well and exhibits no cool spots. The fins aren’t in great shape which could be a factor. It has not been ultrasonically cleaned but the flushing was done back and forth several times over a few hours time at 75 psi. Several people have reported no improvement following service such as provided by Pacific Oil Cooler, and one close friend had his cooler overhauled at great expense without authorization (though he’d have purchased a new one instead if the vendor had been straight with him). So until I’m certain the cooler is at fault I won’t send it across the country for service, and even then I’ll likely just pay the $700 for a new one.

At oil change (this week) we plan to check the vernatherm for proper seating and functionality. If it shows signs of irregular seating I plan to replace it and resurface the contact area as per Lycoming SI-1316A. I’m hoping that there’s simply some binding or lack of full extension as that would be the easiest and least expensive repair.

If you (or anybody) has input I’d welcome the thoughts. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1