Ram Air seal between lower cowling and intake

The Ram Air seal the sits between lower cowling and the hole opening at the intake on my plane is in need of replacing....Im told Mooney sells them for $250.00 or LASER sells a rubber piece by the foot. But I think it really needs 1 solid piece, not something to be cut to length and glued in place....I was thinking about cutting a seal/gasket out of high temp red silicone....Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas they could share...thanks...

We have a seal guy... he often has proper suggestions...

Ask @GEE-BEE  ^^^

You really don’t want to experiment near the engine‘s intake... if your work falls apart, there is no filter to keep stuff from entering the engine.

See what I mean?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Without knowing what model of Mooney you own, we can only guess at your issue.  

Do you mean the seal between the forward engine baffle to the cowl, or the flexible connection from the fuel injector/carburetor to the air filter assembly?

Clarence

Without knowing what model of Mooney you own, we can only guess at your issue.  
Do you mean the seal between the forward engine baffle to the cowl, or the flexible connection from the fuel injector/carburetor to the air filter assembly?
Clarence

My guess, based on the quoted price, he is talking about the gasket that fits on the ram air inlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have problems with that gasket too.  Must be the LASAR material and the ends get out of place and need attention occasionally. This fall we will repair the upper cowl per instruction from I think it was @jetdriven and thinking about removal of the ram air per factory instructions while we are at it. The wife pointed out some fiberglass repairs around the camlocks and said we need to think about a new paint job :D:D:D

• Like 1

Mine is a 1967 , but has all 201 mods...The ram air is directly below the prop on the lower cowling. It should have a  round seal/gasket apprx 4" od and about 3" id . Im not talking about the ound little door that opens and closes. Im talking about the seal that is between the lower cowling and the intake shown in the pic I sent...Hope that clears it up. Sorry the photo is sideways....IMG_3321.thumb.JPG.2f1898e60ca0ddab7f22b0052b20a474.JPGIMG_2694.thumb.JPG.2502b125f66d1e5057483be2047903c1.JPG 

1 hour ago, Mooneycrazy said:

Mine is a 1967 , but has all 201 mods...The ram air is directly below the prop on the lower cowling. It should have a  round seal/gasket apprx 4" od and about 3" id . Im not talking about the ound little door that opens and closes. Im talking about the seal that is between the lower cowling and the intake shown in the pic I sent...Hope that clears it up. Sorry the photo is sideways....IMG_3321.thumb.JPG.2f1898e60ca0ddab7f22b0052b20a474.JPGIMG_2694.thumb.JPG.2502b125f66d1e5057483be2047903c1.JPG 

I did the ram air delete on my airplane and have that part left over.   I'm not 100% sure of its condition but I can get pics of it next time I'm at the hangar, which might be a bit.   IIRC that's not much of a gasket, though.

34 minutes ago, Mooneycrazy said:

I actually just ordered the piece that LASER sells today. Not exactly what I wanted but it will work,,thanks

Should be 600362-001 seal and rev adhesive 

Clarence

• 1 month later...