Gear Door Crack

Any Thoughts?

I have an Ovation 2006, (M20R),

Just noticed a crack on the RH - Middle gear door (the inner one of the 2  attached to the landing gear)

No signs of trauma - no scratches, - other parts OK. It seems like a weird piece to crack.

1) Any thoughts on why?

2) Any thing else I should be sure to look for?

3) Best place to find a replacement, Salvage?, MSC?

Thanks in advance

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, thinwing said:

Any A and P could fabricate a doubler for that ,what does the other side look like?What caused the dent?

I was in a speedy decent and I don’t think it was completely closed.  My best guess was it built a little pressure in the gear well and the door fluttered until the hinge gave way.  From the corrosion/rust at the break, I’d say it had fatigued over a few years. 

• 3 years later...

What I thought might be a no sqwawk annual turned up this  cracked gear door. When I cleaned the belly last about a month ago I noticed a small crack in the door about a half inch long. Progressed rapidly.  Greg ( Advanced Aircraft at KTTD) commented:

On the gear door.  Mooney has no stock and they are extremely slow on parts fabrication now.  Shall I try to repair this door and we can order a new one and when it shows up, make arrangements to have it installed?

E0318C6C-02FE-4D09-B04F-D81038EE8CB1.jpeg

Having flown a Johnson Bar Mooney once or twice, I know how much harder it is to move the gear with airspeed. So with my electric gear J model, I won’t extend my gear until I’m just inside of the white arc, and of course retract them well inside of the white arc.

‘Anytime you find a sheet metal crack, stop drill it immediately, or it can spread like a crack in a car windshield can. Ideally you should ream the stop drilled hole to make is smooth, any defect is in effect another crack

19 minutes ago, Ethan said:

I had an inner gear door crack on my Mooney 231. I took both off and sent the damaged one to Don Maxwell in Tx to fix. He did a great job.

I hear Don has has a really good sheet metal guy. Someone who is good at it can fix anything. I once found a crack on the front lip of the cowling on a Beaver floatplane during morning preflight. I took it to the maintenance hangar and was looking forward to a day off. But it only took about an hour to fix it including bending a piece of tubing to replace the damaged part, machining a fitting, fabricating a patch with compound curves and riveting it in place. 

Skip

• Like 1