Century III Autopilot

I just returned from a trip to Texas.  On the way down, my autopilot functioned flawlessly.  On the way back, it would go in the correct direction and hold altitude properly, but it would constantly swing back and forth through the course, sometimes using over 30o of bank.  There was a heavy rain on Friday with the plane outside, so I wondered if that contributed.

I also just talked to my favorite avionics technician who said the pins in the C-III loosen a bit too often.  He suggested I unplug and replug the pins, as that can produce a better contact, and that the connections from the VG are the most likely culprits.

Has anyone else had experienced the same malady?  What is the most efficacious fix?

Mine died a gradual death;  the alt-hold was inop when I got it, then the pitch hold died, then it decided it only ever wanted to turn left, then the switches wouldn't even stay engaged.  It is currently out for an expensive rebuild.

I was advised to check the connections as well, but the way the connectors were constructed on mine (at least at the boxes in the rear avionics hatch) I had zero confidence of either getting them off without bothering something or reseating them successfully (and I'm an EE!).  Mine didn't look like they were typical connectors that I'd normally expect to see, but I don't know whether that was normal or not.   FWIW, it was installed at the factory.

It does sound like the connections are often a problem, though.