Oshkosh Tie-down Anchor/Gear Reccomendations

Starting to source my gear for Oshkosh, borrowing from friends and family the things ill probably only use once, and buying the things I can see myself using again in the future. 

Wanted to see what other guys were using for aircraft tie-down anchors.  I have never used a set of removable anchors before and have read a few horror stories online from those who have chosen poorly.

Did a cursory search on MS before position and couldn't find any threads.  If I missed an existing one, please feel free to link me to it.

Anyone swear by one brand over the other?  Have experience (positive or negative) specific to any brand?

While were at it, any "you'll wish you would have brought this with you" items you can recommend to a first time attendee?  I will be attending the Caravan clinic in Danville and flying the Caravan up to Oshkosh and camping while there.

Thanks,

• Lots o bug spray 
  • Sun block
  • Raingear for the potential of another 'sl'oshkosh
  • Your preferencee for charging electronics without 120V access
  • Binoculars
  • Cash or Plastic for the inevitable impulse buys!!
  • Video camera and operator to memorialize one of the best approach and landing you'll ever make. 

For the tie down - I personally made my own  - the stakes were 3/16"x18" rods pounded into the ground - three opposing angles per station.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jasona900 said:

I plan on ordering a set of these: https://bigscrewtiedown.com

Avweb has done a video review on those, and other tie downs, and it looks to me like "The Big Screw" has the most holding power. 

Those look pretty beefy.  I did notice that on the EAA website they recommend not using screw type anchors. 

14 minutes ago, steingar said:

I have an old set I bought from them at Oshkosh, they work just fine.  You can "rent" them, you basically buy a set when you get there and give them back when you leave.

Do you recall how much the rental was per day/week?  That would be easier than buying a set and bringing a mallet. 

8 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Those look pretty beefy.  I did notice that on the EAA website they recommend not using screw type anchors. 

I believe the screw type anchors they are referring to are the cork screw type anchors.   Here is the Avweb video... What impressed me was the holding power in the sandy Florida soil.  

• Like 1

image.png.b5ea16fe2084b63e866f49bfef6b8651.png

I've used this type at SnF the last couple of years. Get the ones about 18" long with about 3" diameter auger about $20 each at your well stocked local hardware store.  Use large screwdriver or a piece of pipe to install and remove.  I guess if you are really ambitious you could always weld a nut to the top and use a portable impact wrench to install and remove faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a set of screw-ins from EAA at SnF the year the tornadoes hit. My plane did not move. The one beside me ended up on top.of the plane off of his other wingtip, but both rolled forward first. 

I sawmany types of takedowns that didn't hold, including the claw. Mine were screwed all the way in, my ropes were tight and I doubled up on bungee between the yokes and from the right seat rail to the yoke for the elevator. 

Hundreds of planes were blown around, moved and damaged. Whatever you use, install per the instructions. 

Do not forget some large nylon cutting boards or other portable firm surfaces to put under the wheels.  Getting out with wheels sunk in is not much fun.  

Amazon has an aviation aisle.  Stormforce and Claw tiedown packages are there for $70 and $100.  

-dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

ive had these made up, but you should still be able to get FED ex to drop them off for you.  They weigh 300 kilos each (if you make the height 400 not 300)  Perfect for those REALLY windy days.1437598615_tiedownblockdesign.thumb.PNG.9382bb7d3a6551c3c5c07ab92ff5a928.PNG

kinda cuts down on the usable load - have to figure out if it will fit through the baggge door too......:P

• Haha 1

Many pilots have little clue with regards to how to tie an airplane down.  Rotten ropes, ropes too small, improper knots, slack in the ropes. Did no one attend Boy Scouts and learn basic knots?

Clarence

20 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Many pilots have little clue with regards to how to tie an airplane down.  Rotten ropes, ropes too small, improper knots, slack in the ropes. Did no one attend Boy Scouts and learn basic knots?

Clarence

Or you could be like this guy...  He's my hero :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

I use bowlines on my plane.   I like the 5 or so links of coil proof chain and 3 or 4 spikes driven at different angles.   Compact and functional.  The rope angles matter too.  If you are thinking to use ratchet straps, check the working load and then the amount lift your wing generates.   for a mooney that would be somewhere around 2700 lbs. 

On 5/8/2018 at 6:13 AM, jasona900 said:

I plan on ordering a set of these: https://bigscrewtiedown.com

Avweb has done a video review on those, and other tie downs, and it looks to me like "The Big Screw" has the most holding power. 

How about that - I ordered this same set today! Aircraft Spruce has them on backorder for the end of May, but I ordered them directly from the website Jason posted and am getting them delivered tomorrow. They ship from Palatine IL for a flat $20 shipping charge, making the total ~$180. They will throw in a ratcheting 1" combination wrench for another $24.

Unfortunately I am on the road for the next two weeks so I won't have a PIREP until I get home, but the video is probably all you need.

Cheers,
Rick

Edited by Junkman
Removed offer of Claw for sale
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

I grew up in the Boy Scouts and was taught knots by a USMC Master Sergeant. But I've quit using tautline hitches on the plane. My plane didn't move at all when the tornadoes hit; I'll look for my pictures on the digital camera. 

I don't claim to have any special knowledge, but I have always used bowline knots as well. 

I have also heard that it was better to leave a little slack in the tie-down ropes. I have no idea about the logic behind that theory.  

1 minute ago, DonMuncy said:

I don't claim to have any special knowledge, but I have always used bowline knots as well. 

I have also heard that it was better to leave a little slack in the tie-down ropes. I have no idea about the logic behind that theory.  

I usually do this as well, but severe Tstorms were forecast so I checked everything, tightened up and doubled up on ci trol surface bungees while joking about "taking insurance pictures." Storms missed us that day, tornadoes hit the next afternoon, and it wasn't funny anymore . . . . Tight ropes don't let the plane move, and with 100+mph winds from behind, that's a good thing.

On 5/8/2018 at 9:32 AM, DualRatedFlyer said:

Do you recall how much the rental was per day/week?  That would be easier than buying a set and bringing a mallet. 

More than ten and less than 25 is the best I can do.  They aren't much.  I haven't invested in much more (I have a set I bought years ago) because I don't leave the aircraft on unimproved surfaces very often.  Never really thought of that as the aircraft's mission.  Just Oshkosh.

Just to add...I have used the Claw each time I have gone to Oshkosh.  it is easy to put in and easy to get out but holds the airplane very well.

There is some very useful information here....

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-fly-in-flying-to-oshkosh/ground-operations/tying-down-aircraft