Mooney instruction

Doezr

Looking to move into purchasing a m20c, and what I have read and heard is you should have Mooney time before getting insurance and I guess it would be wise before your purchase. So I am looking for a instructor for the transition into flying a Mooney. Located in the Sacramento area. 

Thanks Jim 

Welcome aboard, Jim...

Getting Mooney yoke time to reduce your insurance cost is a great idea...

Unfortunately, Getting 100 Mooney hours before you get insurance can be expensive...

Expect your first year to cost more than the others... close to an extra AMU...?

Spend your excess cash on the IR. That lowers your insurance as well...

Transition Training is a great idea as well.  But, Same issue... 10 hours in your plane is better than 10 hours in Somebody else’s almost your plane...

A Great place to find CFIs with Mooney experience... is a site called The Mooney Flyer...

Standby for Sacramento area CFIs to Contact you...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

Jim:

I did my Mooney Checkout and additional life saving training with Dubois Aviation out of Chino CA in their M20B. Best money and Instruction that I could have purchased. I can not say enough about those guys. They worked me in with my different work scheduled and not living in the area. I got one instructor exclusive and the aircraft blocked out for me. Its worth the drive down and hotel. Did my complex and Mooney Checkout in 5 days. The aircraft they have is worked pretty hard, don't prejudge by  the curb appeal, she flys great.

Good luck and Fly Smart,

Ryan

9 hours ago, R Van Dyck said:

Jim:

I did my Mooney Checkout and additional life saving training with Dubois Aviation out of Chino CA in their M20B. Best money and Instruction that I could have purchased. I can not say enough about those guys. They worked me in with my different work scheduled and not living in the area. I got one instructor exclusive and the aircraft blocked out for me. Its worth the drive down and hotel. Did my complex and Mooney Checkout in 5 days. The aircraft they have is worked pretty hard, don't prejudge by  the curb appeal, she flys great.

Good luck and Fly Smart,

Ryan

They run a great school, that's where I got my PPL. Never flew their Mooney, just their Cherokees. I bought my Mooney with 58.6 total hours all in Cherokees, no complex. Insurance wasn't terrible the first year (just over $1500) but it seems people are seeing higher premiums right now than when I got it 18 months ago. 

I recently purchased a Mooney F. My experience when shopping around for insurance was that they cared more about overall retract time and total time as opposed to time in type. They will typically ask that you do some transition training with a Mooney CFI. I had to do 5 hours. I ended up doing quite a bit more for my own comfort.

I only had a few hours of Mooney experience prior to doing it. I did have an IFR rating and about 40 hours of retract...which didn’t seem to matter to them or help my premium all that much. Not sure what their magic numbers are but hoping over 100 hours of retract this year will help. 

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, Doezr said:

Looking to move into purchasing a m20c, and what I have read and heard is you should have Mooney time before getting insurance and I guess it would be wise before your purchase. So I am looking for a instructor for the transition into flying a Mooney. Located in the Sacramento area. 

Thanks Jim 

I would not worry too much about having Mooney time when going into a C model for insurance purposes.   I purchased my C model when I had about 70 hours.  No Mooney time.  I did have a high performance, complex endorsements as well as my IR.  My insurance premium was about $1400 at the time.  They required 10 hours with an instructor and 10 hours solo before taking passengers.  1700 hours later my premium is right around $600.  But if you are unsure about a Mooney and not sure if you want one (which you will once you fly it) some Mooney time may be money well spent.