Prop Strike and SB96-11A TSIO 360 GB

Arthur

First off, this is a service bulletin, and thus not mandatory. However, all the insurance carriers will pay to follow it. 

If you are over about 1200 SMOH, you have to consider and OH, since a good part of the cost will be subsidized by insurance.

Depending on who you have do the tear-down, the cost is likely to run to $30,000.

Unless you OH, your TBO will not be affected.

Arthur,

which engine and prop is this for?

For an IO550...

a minimum R&R starts around 10amu...

a new prop is 15amu...

The since it’s near TBO get a reman IO550 idea, costs about 35amu...

All in about 60amu....

If the crankshaft can’t be re-used because it got cracked... guess another 10K

The long lead time item is the prop delivery... about six weeks...

Probably not the numbers you are hoping to hear...

Got any more details?

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for all your advice. I made a mistake as the engine is an LB. I dont own the plane but was looking at a purchase. Insurance would not be involved as tha plane has changed hands twice since the prop strike. I believe that since the engine is around 1500 hours it should be regarded as run out. It was put back in service with just a dialing? Of the crank shaft an zygote ?the rest. 

How many hours since the prop strike?  Price it like an instantaneous OH, and fly it until the engine tells you it needs an OH. Ie. excessive oil consumption or metal in the oil. Carefully monitor oil analysis and filter examination. 

Arthur, Be aware that not all engines can be rebuilt for the same price...

As my friend, Don is pointing out... there is a basic OH cost. But, that requires everything to be OHd is in good condition.  No broken parts from ground strikes....

If there is something wrong with the crank shaft, that can be another add-on to the OH price.  Something like another 10amu...

When buying an expensive machine, a pre-purchase inspection makes a lot of sense.

You want to have somebody technically strong on your team.  You are close to showing you are not sure what you are looking at...

Somebody said they dialed in (measured for being bent) the crank and did a zyglow dye test (looking for cracks)... great, do you trust their word?  Is it in the logs?  Is somebody going to stand behind their work?

Did you know they were looking for shaft bends and cracked driveshaft parts?

Now you know... :)

Don’t accidentally purchase somebody else’s problems.  Get a reliable PPI...

http://www.bergeng.com/magnaflux-zyglo-cat.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7rXBRD9ARIsABfBl838ZoBIKgaTATVEZPJSIW4JyFo57F7DSiH_j2O_vf1lGezjyozF-g8aAv7OEALw_wcB

Your Questions Are Adding up...  they appear to be in the ‘new to buying a plane’ looking to get a good deal, nobody is going to see this, I’m so lucky, category....  you wouldn’t be the first.

Questions you might consider as you move forward in the thought process....

• How mechanically inclined are you?
  • Will you be able to afford a new powerplant, If this one is not rebuildable.
  • Got any plane ownership experience? 

If it sounds to good to be true...it probably is...

What happens to planes like these... they get purchased at the wholesale price, and get rebuilt by a mechanic, then put up for sale, and sell for the retail price... can take a long time for this all to happen...

Paying somebody to do all this for you, is going to cost a lot more than buying one fully airworthy.

Ask More Questions.  tell us about what you are trying to do.  What are your goals?

If you are trying to build the perfect plane for yourself... this is a good way to start.  

If you are trying to get a deal on a plane that is too expensive to buy in good condition... this is a way to get trapped... financially.  A few people get drawn in this way each year...

Old crusty PP Thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Consider speaking with an MSC to help you with the PPI.  I know a good one (or two) in TX.  

Let me ask you something... where are you located? Where is the plane?

Best regards,

-a-

18 hours ago, Arthur said:

Thanks for all your advice. I made a mistake as the engine is an LB. I dont own the plane but was looking at a purchase. Insurance would not be involved as tha plane has changed hands twice since the prop strike. I believe that since the engine is around 1500 hours it should be regarded as run out. It was put back in service with just a dialing? Of the crank shaft an zygote ?the rest. 

So they didn't follow the SB.

"Following any propeller strike complete disassembly and inspection of all rotating engine components is mandatory and must be accomplished prior to further operation."

Unless it was discounted "a lot" I would steer clear