Whelen ORION 650E field approval

Hi,

does anyone already have done a field approval for the Whelen ORION 650 E in an M20K? (the Whelen STC doesn't cover the M20K and also will not be enhanced in the foreseeable time)  I'm just looking for some documentation to speed up the process.

Thanks Hendrik

20 hours ago, flumag said:

Hi,

does anyone already have done a field approval for the Whelen ORION 650 E in an M20K? (the Whelen STC doesn't cover the M20K and also will not be enhanced in the foreseeable time)  I'm just looking for some documentation to speed up the process.

Thanks Hendrik

Hendrik, you are substituting functionally similar TSO'd equipment. i.e. original ACL/NAV lights with new Orion 650E ACL/NAV lights. Both old and new are TSO’d and of similar functionality. Make a simple logbook entry and reference FAA AC 20-41A. That’s precisely the purpose and scope of this AC. You may also include a copy in the logbook. Here you go...

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_20-41A.pdf

• Like 2

Thanks Peter,

if thats the way than its easy.

Clarence, you are right. EASA would be scared, but I'm fine since I moved my M20K to an FAA registration. This was also necessary for the avionic upgrade and the second alternator. 

Hendrik

Edited by flumag
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, ZFD said:

Question for Clarence:

Would this type of modification be approved by Transport Canada?

Thanks

Bruce

As we have no simple field approval process in Canada, I would say by STC would be the only way.

Clarence

Just now, KSMooniac said:

Why can't you replace one TSO part with another?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

You can, but the original poster said that his K model wasn’t on the AML 

Clarence

TSO implies you don't need an STC/AML doesn't it? STC is needed if the hardware doesn't meet TSO or other existing standards if my memory is correct. All those vintage TSO radios never needed an STC for installation as an example.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

It’s is also of similar form fit and function to the original part, has a TSO, has a PMA,  is cross referenced in the Whelen catalog, and is installed in accordance with 43.13 Chapter whatever that seems like it passes the approved data sniff test.  Thus no STC needed. No 337 needed. It is definitiaonaly not a major mod, so seems to land firmly in the category of minor / logbook entry. 

• Like 3

I think it can be installed as a minor modification, so only needs an AP signature. Talk to your mechanic.

Just replaced my two wing strobes and nav lights on my 1990 J with the Orion 650e and my A&P agreed the only documentation needed was a logbook entry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Aviator4Life said:

Just replaced my two wing strobes and nav lights on my 1990 J with the Orion 650e and my A&P agreed the only documentation needed was a logbook entry.

I had a 1982 M20K 231 that I replaced all the nav/strobes, tail, and beacon with the Whelen LEDs (650E, 500, 90520) and My A&P/AI just documented with a logbook entry, too.  All my old ballasts came out saving me some UL# and we also ran the sync wire for the three strobes.  The LEDs were way brighter and much less strain on my electrical system.