Laser

201er

Got hit with a laser taking off from Groton returning to Linden last night. It was the strangest thing. At first it seemed like it came from my strobes reflecting off of something (like going through clouds but brighter). But then it appeared even brighter than that and I was terrified it was the strobes of another airplane in extreme proximity. It was coming from the right so there was a bit of shadow from the wing so it really did resemble strobes. Looked like a bright white light.

But the next moment, searching my side for the source I realized it was green and coming from the ground near the airport. It all happened pretty quickly but was rather startling.

Has anyone else experienced this?

And the biggest question on my mind was, why the heck would someone do that? What are they getting out of it? Is it a deliberate malicious act or outright stupidity? How can they aim it with enough precision to target a moving airplane or is it connected with a sight scope? If there's a scope, does it mean it's mounted on a weapon? Could they be simultaneously shooting at us? Very bizarre incident and one I'd prefer not to repeat.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, 201er said:

And the biggest question on my mind was, why the heck would someone do that? What are they getting out of it? Is it a deliberate malicious act or outright stupidity? How can they aim it with enough precision to target a moving airplane or is it connected with a sight scope? If there's a scope, does it mean it's mounted on a weapon? Could they be simultaneously shooting at us? Very bizarre incident and one I'd prefer not to repeat.

It is very possible that someone was stargazing and you flew through their beam. Astronomers use green lasers because they can be seen in the night sky, like a pointer. 

So that was the 'benefit of the doubt' mankind is inherently good answer. The reality is that teenagers and young adults, almost exclusively male, will do stupid things because they do not have a level of consciousness to realize the potential damage that their act can inflict. As @Hank pointed out, law enforcement has gotten quite good at ferreting out these hooligans, but you have to act quickly and have a general sense of the source of the beam.

Once you get a high power laser pointer, you get bored with it pretty quickly and look for more interesting things to shine it on. Moving targets are more fun than buildings.

They will sell these things to anyone. There are some available that are ridiculously powerful. Powerful enough to cause eye damage at short range. 

Although they probably won't cause eye damage at aircraft distances they can cause temporary flash blindness.

I don't know about where you live, but around here the cops will aggressively chase down people doing it. They have sent up police helicopters to find the people doing it and usually find them. The penalties are severe.

You should call the nearest ATC facility if you are not at a towered airport and report it immediately. They will take action.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

18 minutes ago, Hank said:

Did you report it to ATC? Shining a laser at an airplane is a criminal act, it can blind fhe pilot. Police are getting good at finding the perps when reported real time.

I was on with the tower so I reported it to them. They were quite serious about it and had a list of questions to make the report.

Is there not a warning on these devices that it is a criminal act to point these at vehicles or airplanes? I understand that people may not be familiar with all rules and laws.

Edited by 201er

5 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Disclaimer:

For professional use by adults 18 years old and over. We are not responsible for your actions with this laser. Do not point this laser at flying aircrafts, moving vehicles, people, animals, or anything that shouldn’t be pointed at. Lasers are not toys so please use with care and consider not only yourself but also those around you. Please also check out our laser safety guide before purchasing a laser from us. Additionally, when dealing with lasers especially a high power green or blue lasers, we highly recommend you wear laser safety glasses.

Reasons why they do this can be out of curiosity and ignorance. Curious to see how far it can reach and ignorance because they have no idea what effect it can have on the crew in the cockpit.

Even consumer laser pointers in the 5mW range can still reach thousands of feet into the air. At typical TPA it can overwhelm the cockpit probably due to magnification effect by the plexi.

What’s puzzling to me is that it was as you say a bright white light. That being the case I’m not so sure it was a laser. Lasers are typically RGB wavelengths. Red being most common. Distracting never-the-less whatever it was.

We were shooting approaches into KBRO and got hit with a laser, we reported it to the tower and they contacted Brownsville PD. We canceled IFR and stayed in the pattern doing an extended downwind so that we would be over them on final. It was a hazy evening due to the annual fires in Mexico and the PD was able to locate them with in about 30 minutes. We made one more pass a little lower with a power change and a wing rock as we went over. As a side note, knowing that we might get hit on the other passes we were able block the right side windows with a sectional and give direction to PD via cell phone. Tower filed the report and the PD saw them pointing it at us so  are part was done, they on the other hand got to sit in jail for 2 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PTK said:

....What’s puzzling to me is that it was as you say a bright white light. That being the case I’m not so sure it was a laser. Lasers are typically RGB wavelengths. Red being most common. Distracting never-the-less whatever it was.

Perceived respond to a very bright monochromatic laser can be multicolored or white as the eye’s color receptors are overwhelmed.  

• Like 1

We’ve been hit by green Lasers in the LA Basin flying in helicopters. We keep a pair of lasar glasses in the helicopter. They block the harmful part of the beam but still let other light in. 

It’s a strange delema. That goes in cycles. If you kill all your lights it makes you hard to track and they usually loose track. 

Filing the report I believe tracks funding for prevention. 

-Matt

I had some asshole selling cheap souvenirs in Rome, Italy shine a green laser right in my eye at night from about 30 feet away while I was out with my girlfriend. I felt like it caused damage, but I passed the dot in the middle of the square grid self-assessment. 

At least you didn’t get shot in the head. 

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/pilot-shot-flying-over-new-years-eve-celebration

Worst thing about a laser is that when people shine it at you, its good to look away. However, most pilots don't know immediately what it is so they look directly at it. On my First Night cross country, I got hit with a laser. Definitely not a fun experience. I cancelled the flight and went back home. Some people are just idiots.

Don't look at it, which is nearly impossible to do because you will naturally want to see what it is or at least where it is coming from. Go to your instruments and make sure that you are in a safe attitude and altitude. Contact the nearest ATC facility and try to help them identify the origin. I've been tagged in the desert a few times and a few times flying around the states. Generally, someone got a new toy or got bored and are just doing it to do it. However, with higher power lasers on the market today, damage can occur to your eyes and could possibly compromise the safety of your flight. I got hit coming out of Atlanta a few years ago by some moron at a fair selling these things. A Delta jet got hit as well and nearly came unglued on the radio. The cops were called, but I don't know the outcome.

6 hours ago, David Herman said:

It’s a  criminal act. They should be arrested, prosecuted and go to jail. I wish they’d  make the mistake of “lazing” a police helicopter so the police could track and capture them 

Happened multiple times, just some quick examples with good video.  Second story notes that someone in Fresno got 14 years for doing it, and that there are several convictions just within Orange County.  It is a felony, FWIW.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCCLbcC25Rs

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/11/man-arrested-on-suspicion-of-pointing-a-laser-at-o-c-sheriffs-department-helicopter/

• Like 2

Wow, I can't believe it happens that much! I got lucky that it came from the right and was partially shadowed by my wing so it felt more like taxiing by an airplane blasting strobes at night than a light in the eye. My wife was on that side and saw more of it. It didn't ruin my ability to see afterwards but it had me shook up enough that the rest of the flight home I felt a bit behind the plane and not up to my full capacity. A bit challenging because it was a higher overcast so no moon and no cloud reflection of ground lights either. It was almost instrument flying over the water along the coast (crabbing into the wind seaward made seeing the coast even harder).

Edited by 201er

I had a guy in Midtown Atlanta point a Laser at me as I was walking down the street about a year ago. Didn’t get me in the eyes. He swore he didn’t mean to do it. I’m fairly sure he’ll think at least three times before he points one at anyone else again.

Got hit by green lasers a few times while night flying in C172s around Tokyo;  Didn’t affect my vision and all I did was report it to the tower.   The flight medicine clinic would evaluate AF pilots a couple of times a quarter after illumination events.  They were definitely malicious acts by the local populace.