M20C carburetor overhaul

When is it time for a carburetor overhaul?  I can't find a recommended TBO.   I've looked though the last 30 years of log entries and can't find a single thing about the carb even with three engine overhauls.

We've had difficulties starting in the cold.  We have recently replaced the mags and the vibrator/SOS.  So, I'm starting to think it could be a fuel delivery issue while starting.

Ideas?

When having cold start issues a few WV winters ago, I overhauled my carb then my SoS. Sent the carb to someone in Maryland, I think. Not everyone will work on our Marvel Schleber carbs . . . 

Purdue grad?

Carb'd engines without primers rely on the accelerator pump to prime the engine. Over time they become less effective. Do you ever have issues with brisk applications of power on the ground? That would be another sign.

I did a rebuilt exchange from A/C Spruce/Marvel. Pros and cons each way, but if it's been 30 years it might be time.

50 minutes ago, Boilermonkey said:

Yes, a Boilermonkey is part of the Boilermaker lineage :D

I went there as well. I fly into HFY visiting the parents.

Best of luck with your cold starts. I find mine needs a bit more fuel in the winter, but after my carb exchange (and mags and fine wire plugs) it's not much of an issue anymore.

For winter starts, with or without preheating, i developed the following routine:

• Pull the prop through 2-3 revolutions
  • Fuel pump on until pressure stabilizes, then off
  • Pump the throttle several times, up to 5 or 6 when down in the 20s
  • Wind and set the yoke clock
  • Put on and adjust headset
  • Wait until I've killed at least 60 seconds for the cold fuel to vaporize
  • Tur  the key and push
  • It takes longer to start once it fires than when warm

Hope you get everything working right soon!

4 hours ago, smwash02 said:

I went there as well. I fly into HFY visiting the parents.

Best of luck with your cold starts. I find mine needs a bit more fuel in the winter, but after my carb exchange (and mags and fine wire plugs) it's not much of an issue anymore.

I'm based at HFY !!   Let me know next time you're in town...we could meet at BAK for bfast or lunch.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

For winter starts, with or without preheating, i developed the following routine:

• Pull the prop through 2-3 revolutions
  • Fuel pump on until pressure stabilizes, then off
  • Pump the throttle several times, up to 5 or 6 when down in the 20s
  • Wind and set the yoke clock
  • Put on and adjust headset
  • Wait until I've killed at least 60 seconds for the cold fuel to vaporize
  • Tur  the key and push
  • It takes longer to start once it fires than when warm

Hope you get everything working right soon!

I'll give that a try, thanks!

On 5/4/2018 at 8:17 PM, smwash02 said:

Purdue grad?

Carb'd engines without primers rely on the accelerator pump to prime the engine. Over time they become less effective. Do you ever have issues with brisk applications of power on the ground? That would be another sign.

I did a rebuilt exchange from A/C Spruce/Marvel. Pros and cons each way, but if it's been 30 years it might be time.

I fly the same aircraft with Boilermonkey.  Last time I flew her, she sputtered and popped a little advancing the throttle too quickly on the takeoff roll.  Accelerator pump seems a likely culprit.

• 2 weeks later...