>>>>

Well, since you asked, it appears to be on the expensive side when I run it through the AOPA calculator. 40 year old paint and engine are probably discounted very heavily and the standard appears to be a 430 these days. On the bright side, the Aspen is nice. I'm not trying to kick you in the teeth, but it looks expensive. 

Agreed.  

Overpriced considering engine and propeller age.  Technically, Lycoming states TBO as an hour and calendar period, in this case I believe 2000 hours or 12 years.  The prop likely has similar suggested overhaul periods.  While most of us would have no problem exceeding these values, exceeding by a factor of 3 seems very risky.  Might be a good starting price IF it had a RECENT low time engine and prop from a reputable overhaul shop.  Would be more desirable with a more mainstream autopilot.  

Edited by glafaille

Any of you want to speak with the guy I just sent an offer to, who has had his plane listed for 2 1/2 months, with no offers, and then told me to pound sand?

Gave him an offer 10% off his ask, which was 5% under a very generous VRef. And a “sorry, no thanks”

some people just don’t want to sell 

• Like 1

Cfb....

You ran into the guy that told his wife... yes dear, the plane is for sale.... I’m doing the best I can, honestly...

There are no real buyers, just low ball offers...

He is not alone...

Going to a broker has a tendency of eliminating the planes that aren’t actually for sale...

Buying from known people is also a better way of finding planes that are actually for sale...  unfortunately, it is hard to pry their fingers off their prized family member / plane...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CDNflyby said:

Any of you want to speak with the guy I just sent an offer to, who has had his plane listed for 2 1/2 months, with no offers, and then told me to pound sand?

Gave him an offer 10% off his ask, which was 5% under a very generous VRef. And a “sorry, no thanks”

some people just don’t want to sell 

Exactly!  Some people don’t really want to sell their plane.

I once met a guy who came accross a plane at a well known Mooney dealer.  The plane was way overpriced and had been for sale for a very long time with little interest.  The buyer found out the fax number of the sellers wife and faxed an offer to her  at a low ball price significantly less than previous offers made to the husband/owner.  The wife accepted the offer without hesitation or further quibbling and the plane was sold.

One must figure out the sellers TRUE intentions, this seller’s wife wanted the plane sold.  The husband did not want to sell so he overpriced the plane.

Edited by glafaille
  • Like 1

One thing I don’t like is listings that itemized standard equipment:

pitot heat, push to talk switches, annunciator panel, sun visors, alternate static source, parking break, electric flaps, stall/gear warning, shoulder harness....

How come the compressions are listed twice 2016/2017?  Your 2016 are almost too good and your 2017 are barely legal (60 in 1 cylinder).  With annual due next month I am guessing it won’t pass.

• Like 1

Never a good question to ask on this site.  Many of the members already have a plane so it’s easy to put low values on a sale. The perspective buyers normally have limited funds and big aspirations.  Because everyone is so proud of the CB status we are looking for recent insurance funded major maintenance being completed. 

31 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

As much as I hate to say it and as counterintuitive as it may seem, it is almost never a good idea to list a Mooney for sale here on MooneySpace. 

Jim

Yep!!! Not a good Idea to list a plane for sale here unless you have thick skin and aren't going to be upset with the plethora of comments that are sure to be posted about it. I've found it best to list on Barnstormers and pay the extra fee for the front page. When looking to buy, the same thing, Barnstormers has been my go to place. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Of course you can sell an airplane here, I'm just not sure why you would want to.  I've only sold two airplanes before. The first via word of mouth at my airport and the second as a trade in on my J to a broker.  Both transactions were entirely hassle free, speedy, and painless.  I haven't started actively trying and am not ready to sell my J yet, but I have let it out at my airport that I am thinking about it and the word has spread. It'll probably sell that way when the time comes, but thanks for the Barnstormers front page tip. I wasn't aware of that. 

I've bought 3 and sold 2 on there. Both times I've used the "pay the fee" method and I've gotten multiple inquiries right from the get go. Sold both of them within the month.

Yep!!! Not a good Idea to list a plane for sale here unless you have thick skin and aren't going to be upset with the plethora of comments that are sure to be posted about it. I've found it best to list on Barnstormers and pay the extra fee for the front page. When looking to buy, the same thing, Barnstormers has been my go to place. 

I absolutely agree with your comments. I would never, ever attempt to sell my plane on this site. Whether it would be Peter Garmin saying I have ancient PFD/MFD technology in my panel, or someone saying that my bladders are 27 years old or someone saying I would have bought a 750 instead of a 650 or that fat women have sat in my plane, it would be an endless barrage of critical comments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4

It wouldn’t bother me to list one here, chances are it’s going to end up here anyway if listed on another site. If everything is disclosed in the ad there shouldn’t be much to bash it about. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, glafaille said:

Exactly!  Some people don’t really want to sell their plane.

I once met a guy who came accross a plane at a well known Mooney dealer.  The plane was way overpriced and had been for sale for a very long time with little interest.  The buyer found out the fax number of the sellers wife and faxed an offer to her  at a low ball price significantly less than previous offers made to the husband/owner.  The wife accepted the offer without hesitation or further quibbling and the plane was sold.

One must figure out the sellers TRUE intentions, this seller’s wife wanted the plane sold.  The husband did not want to sell so he overpriced the plane.

I get not wanting to sell. What I don't get, is why (in my case):
Plane has 50.. yes 50 hours flown in the past 10 (YES TEN) years! Apparently, the owner is building a Vans on the side... why? I"m not sure. He obviously doesn't fly much. 
Prop has the 50 hours on it... and will need an O/H by date next year. 
VRef puts it literally 1500 higher than I offered. All I got back from the AME who is doing the sale for him is "He wants what he's asking for. Because, that's what other people are asking!"
Well, ASK is one thing, GETTING is another. 
Last time I checked, his ad had over 1600 people look at it. Several people show up and view the plane, and in 2 months, I was the only offer.... 
That plane will make a nice paperweight. 

I get not wanting to sell. What I don't get, is why (in my case):
Plane has 50.. yes 50 hours flown in the past 10 (YES TEN) years! Apparently, the owner is building a Vans on the side... why? I"m not sure. He obviously doesn't fly much. 
Prop has the 50 hours on it... and will need an O/H by date next year. 
VRef puts it literally 1500 higher than I offered. All I got back from the AME who is doing the sale for him is "He wants what he's asking for. Because, that's what other people are asking!"
Well, ASK is one thing, GETTING is another. 
Last time I checked, his ad had over 1600 people look at it. Several people show up and view the plane, and in 2 months, I was the only offer.... 
That plane will make a nice paperweight. 

For some people just owning a plane is a link to their youth. I can’t tell you the number of hangar queens I have seen over the years. All have some sort of similar story. The owner doesn’t really want to sell. Being inflexible on an obviously overpriced airplane is certainly one way to make sure that the plane doesn’t sell. Why list it at all? Who knows? The world is filled with strange people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not my place to price another person's plane. The total hours look attractive but there are a bunch of other planes out there that seem to be better buys. I keep coming back to check mooneyspace each day and yes I will buy. I have spent enough time (and travel costs - lots btw - coast to coast and multiple times down south) looking at Mooney planes to know what I want and what is or is not a fair deal. This is btw a great place to sell your plane. I had an opportunity to buy a 201 last summer advertised here that I passed up and I highly regret. I am now much more educated and eager to buy. It has been a great learning experience. This site has helped tremendously in educating me. :-)

• Like 2

On 5/10/2018 at 5:46 PM, teejayevans said:

One thing I don’t like is listings that itemized standard equipment:

pitot heat, push to talk switches, annunciator panel, sun visors, alternate static source, parking break, electric flaps, stall/gear warning, shoulder harness....

How come the compressions are listed twice 2016/2017?  Your 2016 are almost too good and your 2017 are barely legal (60 in 1 cylinder).  With annual due next month I am guessing it won’t pass.

I was looking at a nice '36 Bonanza that had the BEW listed as both 1000kg and 1100kg in two separate ads. The difference in the two is whether or not I would even bother calling about it, given that 100kg is the fuel I'd need for the intended mission.

For me, as a buyer (soon as I sell my RV-9 anyway....), I wouldn't even bother with some ads that are padded out with meaningless fluff - as teejayevans alluded too. And it is not hard to proof-read an advertisement and if I am spending close to $100K on an item, I don't think it is too much to ask for it to be accurately described. As regards this -J...The loss of 20PSI compression in only 12 months suggests something has gone, or is going, seriously wrong with the internals of that engine. My first guess would be corrosion, not unexpected in a 40-year old engine, and as there is no attempt to explain that in the ad is another flag for me that I wouldn't waste the vendors time.